Loud beeeeeep when accelerating hard | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kayla Shaff

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I have a 2015 Explorer XLT and when I accelerate rapidly a loud single long beep sounds. I have cleared all of the My key settings, and I don't have some of the extra features such as parking assist/collision alert/or even blind spot sensors or whatever it's called. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to make it stop "screaming" at me for getting up to speed quickly. It will sound at 35mph, all the way up to 80mph if I keep my foot on the gas and don't let up. Once I let up on the gas it stops. Even just merging and getting up to speed to be with the flow of traffic will set it off. Please help! My kids have to cover their ears it's so loud ☹️.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried turning stuff off, radio, A/C, etc to see if it goes away? I can't imagine what it is, but if it's a regular occurrence, then I'd go to the dealer and have them take a ride with you.

Are you the original owner? If so when did this start after I did? Or did you buy it used and this started on it's own? Look at the Tach when this happens and see what RPM's you are hitting maybe a rev limiter kicking in? Not that you are hitting it but the Tach might be hitting it because it is having issues.

Have you tried turning stuff off, radio, A/C, etc to see if it goes away? I can't imagine what it is, but if it's a regular occurrence, then I'd go to the dealer and have them take a ride with you.
I've had the radio, A/C, and all that on and off, it doesn't matter. It happens daily. I've tried the dealer and they don't know what it is

Are you the original owner? If so when did this start after I did? Or did you buy it used and this started on it's own? Look at the Tach when this happens and see what RPM's you are hitting maybe a rev limiter kicking in? Not that you are hitting it but the Tach might be hitting it because it is having issues.
I am the second owner, it's been doing it since the test drive before I bought it. The RPM's can be at any level and it will do it. I had the RPM's up to 5 and it didn't do it, then I had the RPM's at 2 and it did it. It seems to do it mostly when turning and accelerating hard, like when turning left from the center lane between traffic.

It could be a broken wire or a wire with the shield broken shorting out. I would start pulling the plastic around the steering wheel and try to see what is going on. I am guessing you don't have any warranty from where you bought it.

It could be a broken wire or a wire with the shield broken shorting out. I would start pulling the plastic around the steering wheel and try to see what is going on. I am guessing you don't have any warranty from where you bought it.
You would be correct, I don't have any warranty from where I bought it. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll have my auto guru friend take a look at the wires around the steering wheel.

Welcome to the Forum Kayla.:wave:
Are you certain it is an electronic beep as opposed to a squeal? Does it make the noise if you are parked and rev the engine? If so, try opening the hood and have someone listen to see if it is an underhood issue.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Kayla.:wave:
Are you certain it is an electronic beep as opposed to a squeal? Does it make the noise if you are parked and rev the engine? If so, try opening the hood and have someone listen to see if it is an underhood issue.

Peter
It is most definitely an electronic beep. It does not beep when in park. It seems to do it mostly when turning and accelerating hard, like when turning left from the center lane inbetween traffic.

It is most definitely an electronic beep. It does not beep when in park. It seems to do it mostly when turning and accelerating hard, like when turning left from the center lane inbetween traffic.

This is a first on the forum. Although I cant help with it, please report back whether you are able to find a cause/fix.

Hmmm... Maybe a carbon monoxide detector for those cars that haven't had the recall done? ;) j/k

Maybe try catching it in a video, so we can actually hear it. You can always put it on Youtube and just post the link here.

From the vid it looks like it starts right at 25mph. The beep sounds like a max speed warning I heard when I rented a Focus that had MyKey settings set to 65 mph limit. Is it possible it's in valet mode :dunno:

From the vid it looks like it starts right at 25mph. The beep sounds like a max speed warning I heard when I rented a Focus that had My Sync settings set to 65 mph limit. Is it possible it's in valet mode :dunno:

that or the My Key is setup to warn for speeds above ~25mph so the kids can't :burnout:.
EDIT: I just re-read the first post. Are you sure you have all settings cleared? Does it happen with more than one key?

Does it only happen under heavy acceleration?

I am the second owner, it's been doing it since the test drive before I bought it.
What did the salesperson/dealer say at the time? Why did you buy it?

Anyway, I would scan the vehicle for DTCs just to be sure there aren't any. Then I would go back to the mykey stuff and confirm it has been disabled (maybe even try setting it up for a higher limit, testing it, then clearing it again). It probably wouldn't hurt to verify that the previous owner didn't leave a device plugged in that monitored his/her driving (check OBD port).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the vid it looks like it starts right at 25mph. The beep sounds like a max speed warning I heard when I rented a Focus that had MyKey settings set to 65 mph limit. Is it possible it's in valet mode :dunno:
Valet mode shouldn't affect this. It basically prevents someone from accessing and changing vehicle settings.
Valet mode allows you to lock the system. No information is accessible
until the system is unlocked with the correct PIN.

Peter

Back