Mazda B2500 ABS and most warning lights? GEM? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mazda B2500 ABS and most warning lights? GEM?

Beezer

Reaction score
City, State
Palm City, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mazda B2500 Pickup
(Ranger clone)
all of a sudden ABS light came on, and truck does not want to stay in 3 or 4th gear (Overdrive, automatic)

Replaced sensor on top of differential, no help.

Took to a garage, a guy messed around with with scanner and codes, he thinks it is the GEM?

After looking at a few sites today, it says to check codes from black RABS II diagnostic connector. From what I see it is pictured on right side of dash.

Is the connector there easy to get to?
Do you think it is the GEM? (Which I was told is behind the radio)

I'm heading out to see if I can find connector, and do this now
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/11amv-my-rabs-and-my-brake-warning-lights-keep-coming-on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

easiest thing to do would be to go to a junk yard and find a GEM or two and swap it out and see if it works. saying you can find one cheap enough with a return guarantee

forgot to add speedo is erratic at best, sometimes drops to zero

not really any junk yards, that I know of here. How easy is getting to the Gem? Is it just a matter of removing the radios?

yes, it's just behind the radio bezel

poking around for the RABS2 diagnostic connector...

I see something that looks like it could be it under right kick plate?

Don't see much through the glove box.

Yeah I do believe that was it i got an error code back of
9 High Speed Sensor resistance.

Now what does that mean?
I may add here the guy that looked at it in the garage, said he checked the resistance in the sensor I had replaced, and said it was good, I asked him to do the same to the old one and he said that was good.

So to recap, I missed some bf...Check engine light is on ABS Light is on, and truck will not stay in 3rd or 4th most times. The speedo is erratic or zero, and the OD light flashes most of the ti.
Seem like a lot of symptoms, so I am inclined to think of the Gem as I read more.

Are these expensive, or just a pain in the butt to get to?

I can pull GEM's all day from a local yard for $5. just have to know if the ranger GEM is the same

might have issues at my yard finding 2000 parts

I am assuming the Mazda is the same.

have you ever bought a Gem other than a junkyard one?

I know with the speed sensor. One of the major chains said they didn't carry it (dealer only) while another did.

Is tehre anything other than the gem? Is there a sensor on the speedo too, or just the one on the axle?

a 2000 ranger should be abs drive speedometer so probably the same with a mazda

I say just try a junkyard part if you can that way if its no that you're only out the few dollars, then once its fixed with the junkyard part you can drive it till it breaks again then buy the high dollar part

All right now. I have fixed the problem, and learned a hard lesson.

Never ever spray out the interior of your truck with a hose. Even if it seems to have a waterproof mat!

After digging deeper, I read people with a similar problem that had a shorted wire between speed sensor and interior. So I got under and followed the wire back. All looked good until I found the junction block under the drivers seat. When I pulled it apart, it was full of water, and some corrosion. cleaned-up of both sides using a new all wheel cleaner, and hosed it out. Then I blew it out, and liberally applied WD-40.

After drying out for a day, reassembled the block, and it worked fine!
But since I was having some squishing under the rubber mat, and did not know if the computer was under the seat, I decided to remove the seats and the mat. A lot of work, but WTH, Now I know it is dry!

I had forgot I got a little wild with the hose a few weeks ago! I should have known better!

Back