Megan Coilover - 2010-12 vs 2013 suspension differences | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Megan Coilover - 2010-12 vs 2013 suspension differences

EcoPowerParts

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Flex Ecoboost
I'm going to see if Megans are an option for you guys with the 13 Explorer Sport.

The guys on the Flex forum and I are working on comparing the suspension between the 10-12 and 13's to see if the Megans will fit on the new 13 suspension for Flex/SHO/Explorer Sport.

Can somebody take these type measurements on their 13 Explorer Sport to compare?

Here's some measurements of the Flex '13 suspension:
Lanson said:
All,

I think a unified thread that covers what we've been talking about regarding suspension mods is in order, so I hope this will do. I'll try and put into order what we've been talking about over the last many threads and off-topic jaunts, so we have as much information as possible.

Per our last conversations, I took my wheels off during a tire rotation and got as many pictures and measurements as I could think of. Hopefully we can compare known 2012 and older units and really see what would work in terms of coilovers and other things (like aggressive fitments.)

For picture reference, my Flex is a 2013 AWD N/A engine, SEL w/ 18" stock wheels.

This is with the front end jacked up and ready for wheel removal, so strut is at full extension.
ry%3D480.jpg

ry%3D480.jpg

This is the brake set. Man these things are big and bad-ass looking when you really get up close with them.
ry%3D480.jpg

Strut and knuckle overview
ry%3D480.jpg

ry%3D480.jpg

ry%3D480.jpg

ry%3D480.jpg

From bolt eye-hole to eye-hole, I measure about 3 3/8 give or take.
ry%3D480.jpg

From the top of the strut to the knuckle mount portion of the strut, I measure 7".
ry%3D480.jpg

ry%3D480.jpg

The strut's knuckle mount section is about 5" tall.
ry%3D480.jpg

The strut's knuckle mount section is about 4" wide.
ry%3D480.jpg

This is the other side of the strut mount.
ry%3D480.jpg

This is the rear suspension, just showing the part that I think might rub a wide wheel or tire. That brake hose mount with the squared-off ends on the top right corner of this pic appears to be it. Since that part is solidly mounted to the car, I measured that to the outside of the fender and got right at 11". So, definitely want to not go wider than that.
ry%3D480.jpg

Admittedly I don't know what I'm measuring when it comes to suspension differences between the models, so I hope I got the right ones so we can compare and figure all this out.

I'll be making another thread to discuss aggressive wheel fitments, tire/wheel weights, etc. I pulled my stock wheels and weighed them, and some other things. So that's coming up in a separate thread shortly.

I'll post up with my measurements of my 2011 Flex when we get my coilovers to compare.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have some more info for you guys:
crash712us said:
Front strut on 13 are entirely different and use a completely different strut mounting system.

here is steering knuckle used 2010-12
file-20.jpg

here is 2013
file-19.jpg
If they are different I'll work to see if Megan will update to work with a '13.

Anybody live near Megan racing?
788 PHILLIPS DR. CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA 91748 USA

Love to send somebody by and verify my thoughts that the coilover will just slip into the stock mount or require minimal work to make it happen.

This sounds interesting. I hope someone takes you up in this:thumbsup:

4DRHTRD Thanks for sharing and your continuous pursuit for coilovers. Give me a couple days and I'll try to get some wheels assembly measurements.

Thanks guys, I'm addicted to the EB transverse platform and if one is being pushed all should be pushed forward with all kinds of mods. I'm dedicated to seeing people surprised by what this platform can do. If I can get some consistent mid 11's out of the Flex I might do Drag Week and see if I can get on the daily drivers 32 group. :)

More info today:

badluck said:
Here is the megan racing kit

192013_163837_1716_MR-CDK-FFX09.jpg

The two bolt pinch collar mount is part of the factory strut. If someone made one to mount to the megan strut, in theory there strut would fit a 2013+. Judging by the picture of the megan strut and the diagram, the bottom tab would have to be removed as it is part of the 09-12 mounting system.

4DRHTRD said:
Looks like a welded on tab from Megan, probably wouldn't be too hard to have Japan ship over some without the welded tab.
OK stock 09-12 strut:

front1.jpg

13 strut:
ry%3D480

Back