• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

3rd gen Explorer Coilovers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
well the 2nd gen has a bump on the frame , may be an option to look at,, just weld a bolt on, and thread an external bump into it,
4603200244%202.jpg

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level

rangermidtn

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4x4
Day 3 after the install and I loving the coilovers. Way better ride, and better flex. I highly recommend this to any one who wants to do this. If anybody as questions, just let me know. Only thing I have left to do is a limit strap, and I am changing the coils to 750lbs.

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Day 3 after the install and I loving the coilovers. Way better ride, and better flex. I highly recommend this to any one who wants to do this. If anybody as questions, just let me know. Only thing I have left to do is a limit strap, and I am changing the coils to 750lbs.

This is an excellent thread, and I've been following it since the beginning. How about writing up a comprehensive how-to? And use this thread as a discussion for it. This thread has most of the info one would need, but its scattered over several posts. I mean, I'm looking at 14 pages on my phone at the moment....

rangermidtn

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4x4
This is an excellent thread, and I've been following it since the beginning. How about writing up a comprehensive how-to? And use this thread as a discussion for it. This thread has most of the info one would need, but its scattered over several posts. I mean, I'm looking at 14 pages on my phone at the moment....

I can do that, will take me a little time but I'll do it and Ronin can add some stuff too.

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I can do that, will take me a little time but I'll do it and Ronin can add some stuff too.

I think he's already got one in the works for the 4th gen. section.

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
You did a great job on this mod,, it looks killer and i am guessing works great,,
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

also any questions on the stuff i helped with , i am an open book, ask away, willing to help any way i can,,

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
congrats on this thread becoming a sticky,,
you worked pretty hard on this,, it's a nice reward,,

rangermidtn

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4x4
congrats on this thread becoming a sticky,,
you worked pretty hard on this,, it's a nice reward,,

Thanks Corkey. One week and still loving these! Waiting on my new springs and limiting straps to come in. Plan on going to Coal Creek(Windrock) to do some wheeling in Feb. to really test these out.

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
now, you need to get the back going,,

lol,,

just kidding, take your time,, you deserve it,,

J_Train

Reaction score
City, State
Citrus Springs, Florida and LaGrange, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt v8
Great write up congratulations on this becoming a sticky. i may have to let a friend know about this thread.

rangermidtn

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4x4
Alright got the 750lb springs today, much better. Need to drive some more and then adjust the preload. Right now I am at 38.75" Front, 39" Rear.
DSCN0218_zpsb604255a.jpg

DSCN0216_zps45e7c4b4.jpg

DSCN0213_zps85fd3017.jpg

Ronin8002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
Like the hunter orange springs! Truck is looking great!

Only thing holding me back from doing a 1.5" body lift is all the bs with the front and rear bumpers, won't move up easy like the third gen. Oh well, have to remember that my new truck isn't going to be as modified as the last.

rangermidtn

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4x4

Only thing holding me back from doing a 1.5" body lift is all the bs with the front and rear bumpers, won't move up easy like the third gen. Oh well, have to remember that my new truck isn't going to be as modified as the last.

I don't think there is much more I am going to do, may do the rear coilovers. I would like to do a bumper, but without a plasma cutter would be a little harder.

J_Train

Reaction score
City, State
Citrus Springs, Florida and LaGrange, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt v8
looks damn good.

Ronin8002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
I would like to do a bumper, but without a plasma cutter would be a little harder.

Maybe there is a shop in your area that could do the cutting for you. Just mock everything up with cardboard pieces and then take that to them so they know what to cut. Then just weld it all together yourself.

rangermidtn

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4x4

Yea I got the PAC racing springs only come in the orange. We always say we will not modify, but then before we know, we are doing mods and planning more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

rangermidtn

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4x4
I made some extended sway bar links to today and installed them. I adjusted the preload on my drivers side to get both sides even. I am at 38.75 front and rear. I have 13" clearance front crossmember and 13" at the frame. Here's a couple pics.
DSCN0222_zps3f14f5a6.jpg

DSCN0221_zps354383a9.jpg

DSCN0223_zpsee720d44.jpg