Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My 97 SOHC 5 speed sport street/drag build

Discussion in '"Serious Explorer - Sport Trac - Ranger - Street T' started by Twisted1, December 22, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      As long as the timing chain stays in place it will make it to the track. My biggest road block is that I have 3 other projects going on at the same time so I can only dedicate just so much time to one before moving onto the next. I'm trying to keep forward momentum going on all of them so none get pushed aside and forgotten about. My Bronco 2 is almost finished also and I've got about $1,000 worth of parts sitting here to go in. Both my powerstroke dually's are parked in the lot waiting to be finished. I'm at the point of notching my frame and installing the air ride suspension in one of those. Plus I'm trying to get my DD ranger all set for snow...yes I said it, snow! I plow commercially and that's my new driveway truck since I retired my dually from plow service. So I've been getting that ready for the season and mounting the plow. So like I said, very limited time frames depending on which season we're in.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      Truck is out of winter storage!

We've had a string of exceptionally nice (warm) weather here so I pulled the Sport of of storage a few weeks ago. It still has the timing chain issue but I was hoping to bandaid it long enough to get it to the track before tearing it down again. ALMOST MADE IT TO OPENING DAY! Lol, granaded the M5OD transmission so I'm now on the hunt for a T5 replacement and unfortunately have to fix or replace the engine before it can see the track. The dream is still alive and I will get those #'s! 20160308_101042.jpg

20160315_102608.jpg

20160312_194314.jpg

20160315_142708.jpg

20160315_142434.jpg

4. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Explorer

Glad to see you got the truck out of storage, not glad to see the trans broke.
      What let loose in there?

5. Twisted1

Twisted1 Active Member

City, State:
      Lee, NH
      97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
      Input and output shaft bearings, both seals also, synchro's had some wear and the reverse gears had some broken teeth. The new slave cyl started leaking and I pulled the tranny to address that when I saw how much tranny fluid was leaking. So I dove into it a bit more and came to the conclusion that I need a slightly stronger transmission for it. I'm actually trying to move to a new home with a garage so I'll have more time to work on my projects during the week while my daughter does homework or is in bed for the night. Right now I do all my work at our families marina on my days off when she is with her mother.