Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

New set of TPMS sensors

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Lukas2009, November 2, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Lukas2009

Lukas2009 Active Member

City, State:
    Cologne, Germany
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2007 Eddie Bauer V6
    I will install a new set of TPMS sensors on my winter wheels and have to program them with a programer to work with my Explorer.
    My question is, when I reinstall my summer wheels, will I have reprogram them or will they still be recognized by my Explorer?
    Do I have to program the sensors every time I change my wheel sets from winter to summer?

Last edited: November 2, 2012
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2008 XLT Ironman
    I am not sure, but I believe you will have to program them. I installed some aftermarket wheels and tires with new TPMS a few months back and needed to use the tpms tool to activate them to avoid the error, even though the OEM wheels were sitting in the back of the truck at the time. So I assume programming would be needed when switching back and forth between different sets of wheels.

KTI makes a good tool to train the tpms on the 4th gens (the old magnet trick doesn't work like on the 3rd Gens). The KTI tool can be expensive but I found one on ebay for 80 bucks so I went for it.

4. Divemaster191307

Divemaster191307 Active Member

City, State:
    Germantown, MD
    '07 EB
    You will have to reprogram the system to recognize the sensors every time you switch. I used the cheap Motorola tool ($32.37 on Amazon) when I upgraded my wheels, worked like a champ.