new to xplorer performance | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new to xplorer performance

howdy y'all first off this is a great site(just found it) ...........but how hard do you think it would be to get my 91 explorer in to the 16's?

by the way i have a 91xls explorer 4x4 wit 3" body lift 2"spacer/shackle lift with 33's and i think 3.73 gears maybe 4.10 bought the lift off ebay and the wheels and tires from a local tire store, i havent done anything in performance yet,

what is a nice loud exhaust that adds power?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2wd sport SOHC's are the fastest off the showroom.

do they make an off-road h-pipe for the OHC? I dont have to worry about emissions where i live, so i could benefit from having an open exhaust, and lose the weight of all the cats and resonators. or will i need to get it custom made?

Iceman_19 said:
do they make an off-road h-pipe for the OHC? I dont have to worry about emissions where i live, so i could benefit from having an open exhaust, and lose the weight of all the cats and resonators. or will i need to get it custom made?

What do you expect to gain by doing this?

"They" don't make an offroad pipe for any X. Gotta be a custom thing.

huskyfan23 said:
"They" don't make an offroad pipe for any X. Gotta be a custom thing.
They do for mine, just ordered one :D

He was talking about a test pipe; the pipe that replaces the cats.

Thats cool, waynes replaces just the two front cats

You won't benefit from removing the cats. Weight?? Your driving 4500# pig with the areodynamics of a brick, and an brisk 160 wild horses. Leave the emmisions stuff on the car. Besides an open exhaust isn't want you want on your motor unless you only drag race. You will lose torque, which is what the 4.0 has going for it.

Mbrooks420 said:
You won't benefit from removing the cats. Weight?? Your driving 4500# pig with the areodynamics of a brick, and an brisk 160 wild horses. Leave the emmisions stuff on the car. Besides an open exhaust isn't want you want on your motor unless you only drag race. You will lose torque, which is what the 4.0 has going for it.
Yep, your doomed, nothing you can do :rolleyes:

Sure there's things you can do. But there is wasteful, and negative things you can do.

I'm now out of the Explorer performance game and now just maintain my wife's truck but I had a 1991 EB that I had tastefully modified. I was able to run high 16's with the following mods, in the order purchased...

Borla stainless steel cat-back exhaust system
Borla stainless steel headers
BBK Throttle Body
Vortech MAF
Custom made air intake w/ram air scoop - K&N filter

Great suspension mods - Explorer express sway bars, bilstein shocks, perf products front springs, energy suspension poly bushings, and I added a rear overload spring to the leaf pack from an old 78 Blazer.

All these mods made for a truck that was fairly quick and handled pretty well. Awesome winter vehicle with blizzaks and the "old school 4wd" system.

BTW - had 3.73 LS gears

Hope this helps you out!

Back