old guy, wife said get a hobby, 94 explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

old guy, wife said get a hobby, 94 explorer

Welcome - Another Arkansas guy here.

Great start on your project...keep us looped in!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SORRY I ,MADE A MISTAKE!
The door sticker axle code is 41 = 3.27 Conventional so now sombody please tell me what the tag on the differential means? line 1. S 6 2 2 0 line 2. 3 2 7 8 8 4 4 2 4. what does the tag decode too?
I look at pictures of the stock wheels on this forum and they do not look like the wheels on my X Sport?
Can i measure the wheels width without taking a tire off, ie while wheel with tire is on the XSort? I read pugly and he has 33 mounted on 8.5 wheels.
I need to measure these wheels. How?

327884424 = 3.27 open
Your truck was delivered from Ford with 3.27 gear ration no limited slip
You should be running 4.10 or 4.56 now with 33" tires
If you cannot confirm with previous owner then you can check current gear ratio by counting rotations
What is your RPM at 55 mph?

327884424 = 3.27 open
Your truck was delivered from Ford with 3.27 gear ration no limited slip
You should be running 4.10 or 4.56 now with 33" tires
If you cannot confirm with previous owner then you can check current gear ratio by counting rotations
What is your RPM at 55 mph?
i will do the count turning the drive shaft in the morn. I went thru a radar that displays "your speed" I was doing about 55 on the truck's speedo but the display said I was at 64 mph. does not make sense to me so count seems to be best way

I think i would rather get smaller tires i read someone on this forum said 3.27 rear end use 29 or 30 tires or smaller.
problem is i need to find out what size these wheels are. can i measure width with them on truck?
or should I by some stock size wheels I found a used set for $200. 15 x 7 alum. and just go to stock 235 75 R 15 tires. would that be the best? or what tire size?
thanks. jmczzz

I think i would rather get smaller tires i read someone on this forum said 3.27 rear end use 29 or 30 tires or smaller.
problem is i need to find out what size these wheels are. can i measure width with them on truck?
or should I by some stock size wheels I found a used set for $200. 15 x 7 alum. and just go to stock 235 75 R 15 tires. would that be the best? or what tire size?
thanks. jmczzz
I just found a used stock set of 4 ea 15 x 7 alum wheels off a ranger for $60 total and they are 1.5 hr away. Now I know that plus stock or near stock tires would be the lest trouble and expense. rather than changing gears.
What I don't know is how are they gonna look with the trucks lift? I don't know how much lift if any? thanks jmczzz

i've scearched but have not found the 4x4 front auto hub diameter. I found a couple of different generation sizes 70.3 mm and 63.3 mm. but did not find specific diameter size for a 1st gen front auto hub diameter.
anybody help?

new question:
How to tell if and how much my Ex Sport has been raised?

Hard to tell without a little digging, as by this time they’d all likely have differing ride heights. Most mild lifts would include a shackle that’s after market on the rear leaf, I’d take a peak at that and see if it lines up, appearance wise with something on rockauto.com

is there something I could measure to compare with the stock lift? or can I take some pics and post so you more experencedfellows could see what you think?
I don't have a clue. thanks, jmczzz

It’d be hard to tell, because a mild lift could be just longer coil springs. They will vary in height due to sag and condition.

If those really are 33" tires in the picture in the first post, it looks like at least 4". If you can post pictures of the suspension components we would be able to confirm.

Great point. I missed that it had 33s.

is there an interface to use an OBD2-with the OBD-1 connection on my Ex-Gen1-94? IF, I order a unit, do I need to also buy a longer cord?

No OBD-II will not talk to obdI computers
You can check codes on a OBDI computer with a paperclip or buy a simple OBDI code reader for FORD

You can buy 15x7 or 15x8 wheels.
I prefer 17" wheels these days as the tires are good deal/ sometimes cheaper (17" is the new 15)

The sport in the pictures likely has a 4" lift of some sort
The wheels in your picture appear to be 15x10" wheels with 3.75" backspacing
Those tires are 33x12.5x15

You need to count your ring and pinion ratio before you go buying any tires

Get pictures of the front and rear suspension components, springs, shocks, and linkage, and we can tell you what type of lift is in there.........also the body mounts.
To me it looks like your standard 3-4" drop bracket lift kit No way in heck I would ever go to a smaller tire, I would instead re gear my diffs and go BIGGER!! lol

If those really are 33" res in the picture in the first post, it looks like at least 4". If you can post pictures of the suspension components we would be able to confirm.
i will as soon as i find my camera. thanks the rear coils do look newer than the other stuff under there, as well as some shock like units under the front. I took off a front wheel and was amazed at how little effort it took to remove all the lig nuts. What is the correct torque? and the front auto hub just came off with the tire and wheel! isn't there something else supposed to be securing it? there also is a thin metal open ended cylinder with a backing plate also sticking out of the wheel hub hole surronding the hub? it is to lose and thin to be there for support. so it seems the wheel is LUG centered and supported? is this right? i'll post some pics ASAP. thanks, jmczzz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i will as soon as i find my camera. thanks the rear coils do look newer than the other stuff under there, as well as some shock like units under the front. I took off a front wheel and was amazed at how little effort it took to remove all the lig nuts. What is the correct torque? and the front auto hub just came off with the tire and wheel! isn't there something else supposed to be securing it? there also is a thin metal open ended cylinder with a backing plate also sticking out of the wheel hub hole surronding the hub? it is to lose and thin to be there for support. so it seems the wheel is LUG centered and supported? is this right? i'll post some pics ASAP. thanks, jmczzz

can't I unlift it some?

Back