Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Radio surround and console paint

Discussion in 'Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories' started by jay1028, October 30, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jay1028

jay1028 Active Member

City, State:
      N.E Florida
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 XLT V8
      The black rubberized paint on the radio surround and center console is sticky. Been like this for a few years already. Nothing works to clean it. Must have something to do with being in Florida. I have only found one thread on removing the coating and that is by peeling. Sounds like a very time consuming process. Has anyone found a solution to re-creating that kind of finish and a way to removed the rubberized paint?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. KajunBndit

KajunBndit Active Member

City, State:
      Theriot, LA
      2004ExplorerSportTrac XLT
      It is not as bad as you would think, I does take little time to prepare to repaint, I don't think I would go back to that rubberize paint though. You would have the same problem down the road. Here is a link to one of my post. I hope the link works. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403645

4. ptf18

ptf18 Elite Explorer

2002 Sport Trac
      Had the same issue on my Ford Ranger Edge console. I removed it. Rubbed ALL the old coating off (alot of work although you can do sitting in traffic when there is nothing else to do). THroughly cleaned the console. Sprayed the console with RUBBERIZED undercoating after masking off areas I didnt want coated. Left it dry for SEVERAL days.

Its been installed 5 years or so and not a bith has come off. Now if you scraped something across it no doubt the coating will come off. Color matched real well (black)