• Register Today It's free!

Radio surround and console paint

jay1028

Reaction score
City, State
N.E Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
The black rubberized paint on the radio surround and center console is sticky. Been like this for a few years already. Nothing works to clean it. Must have something to do with being in Florida. I have only found one thread on removing the coating and that is by peeling. Sounds like a very time consuming process. Has anyone found a solution to re-creating that kind of finish and a way to removed the rubberized paint?

It is not as bad as you would think, I does take little time to prepare to repaint, I don't think I would go back to that rubberize paint though. You would have the same problem down the road. Here is a link to one of my post. I hope the link works. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403645

Had the same issue on my Ford Ranger Edge console. I removed it. Rubbed ALL the old coating off (alot of work although you can do sitting in traffic when there is nothing else to do). THroughly cleaned the console. Sprayed the console with RUBBERIZED undercoating after masking off areas I didnt want coated. Left it dry for SEVERAL days.

Its been installed 5 years or so and not a bith has come off. Now if you scraped something across it no doubt the coating will come off. Color matched real well (black)

Back