Anyone Painted Their Radio Surround? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Painted Their Radio Surround?

blueka

Elite Pickler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
I've spent the last 2 days trying to get the rubberized coating off the radio surround so I can paint it...

I've seen surrounds on here that have been painted and then they start to ripple where the rubber comes away...

So... I tried dipping the surround in paint remover and stuff... all that did was make the plastic soft so the retaining clips snapped off.

Then I tried sandblasting it... made very little difference...

Any suggestions???

Si

I'm not sure what the best way to remove it is, but a company named ALSA makes products which can replicate the coating, or create many different surfaces you might like. They are having a two day sale until Wednesday for their regular wrap material, and I might buy some to do my wheels. They have tons of choices, but their normal retail prices are way up there. I get their emails so I know when they put things on sale.

I don't want to replicate it, I want to remove it, so I can scuff the plastic and paint it a different colour.

Si

It seems to peel off after you can get it started. Kind of like plastidip, vigorous rubbing.

Back