• Register Today It's free!

Rear rotors

DelSil

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
I am trying to change my rear rotors and pads on my 11 Explorer but cannot seem to get the right torx bolt size that holds the rotor. Any suggestions? Also it is more than likely will not be easy to remove so any suggestions on loosening the bolt. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am trying to change my rear rotors and pads on my 11 Explorer but cannot seem to get the right torx bolt size that holds the rotor. Any suggestions? Also it is more than likely will not be easy to remove so any suggestions on loosening the bolt. Thanks

I used a 3/8" drive torx head in an 3/8" impact driver, it worked very good.
Sorry I cannot remember the torx size, but for some reason I have 24mm in my head.

Good luck Brian

IT's a standard sized metric torx. I don't remember the size offhand, but the key is to clean the socket out really well first so the driver will seat fully.

IIRC, it has some thread locker on it, but nothing too bad. I used a standard ratchet with a lot of inward pressure to keep the driver seated. You could try some heat on it, then let it cool, to see if that loosens it up. Also, one of the small hand struck impact drivers might work if it is really bound up.

Make sure you have a brake piston re-winder tool to push the pistons back in. They can be rented from most auto parts stores.

I tried it again last night and cannot get it to budge. Does anyone know if I had my local Ford dealership get it off for me can I drive home with out the torx bolt in? It seems to me the wheel would keep the rotor in place.

A note about changing the pads. You will need a rotating brake tool to compress the piston.

I tried it again last night and cannot get it to budge. Does anyone know if I had my local Ford dealership get it off for me can I drive home with out the torx bolt in? It seems to me the wheel would keep the rotor in place.
Yes, they are primarily there so during assembly the rotors don't fall off when there are no wheels attached. Once the wheels are mounted they compress against the rotor and keep it attached.

You don't need a Ford dealer to remove it. Any competent mechanic can do so.

Are you saying that the bolt is to tight to remove?

If so, try using a 24"+ breaker-bar, very slowly and carefully, so as to not strip anything. Also consider using some Kroil or Liquid Wrench to creep in and loosen it for you.

Remember Archimedes:
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."

Just went to the Ford dealership to have them remove the bolts for $40. they told me I would have a hard time getting remove them. The other pain was turning the caliper pistons back last night. Not a fun task but got them done.

Back