Rpms stay high sporadically and very loud | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rpms stay high sporadically and very loud

cgerken44

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hi all. I just purchased an 06 eddie bauer with the 4.0 v6 and when I test drove it there were no issues at all. However, after a bought it and drove it for a day or so I noticed that off and on when leaving from a dead stop the engine would sound extremely loud and the rpms would stay well above 3k. It almost seemed as if it were stuck in a real low gear and wouldn't want to shift out. But then after I get up there in mph's it stops and drops back down to normal rpms. Has anyone had this happen or know what it might be? I'm still under the just bought it from the dealership warranty so I would like to get them to fix it before that runs out. Thanks for all your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all. I just purchased an 06 eddie bauer with the 4.0 v6 and when I test drove it there were no issues at all. However, after a bought it and drove it for a day or so I noticed that off and on when leaving from a dead stop the engine would sound extremely loud and the rpms would stay well above 3k. It almost seemed as if it were stuck in a real low gear and wouldn't want to shift out. But then after I get up there in mph's it stops and drops back down to normal rpms. Has anyone had this happen or know what it might be? I'm still under the just bought it from the dealership warranty so I would like to get them to fix it before that runs out. Thanks for all your help!

Hi cgerken44,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can inspect. A Ford certified tech will be in the best position to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Keep us posted on how things progress!

Crystal

Hi cgerken44,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can inspect. A Ford certified tech will be in the best position to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Keep us posted on how things progress!

Crystal
I was hoping to stay away from the dealership and paying out of pocket as I have a 30 day warranty with the place I just bought it from. So I was just hoping to have a little insight into what the problem could be when I brought it into them.

I have the same year and engine combo. The cooling fan up by the radiator can make a loud roaring sound. Mine will do it on warmer days and when the engine is warming up. The fan is fully engaged, then settles down.

My V6 shifts fairly well, might not be the smoothest at times, but it does not hang up or staying in a low gear.

Your rpm shifting issue could be something expensive, If I had a 30 day warranty might be time to test it out.

Got it up here already. They're gonna check it out. I'm fairly certain it's the cooling fan or a/c clutch messing something up because I just drive it with the a/c button disengaged with no issues.

Back