Shift to Park Warning | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

Just a reminder that there is now a switch sold directly by Ford to fix the issue. The TSB & part numbers are posted in post# 374.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2014 explorer sport had shifter replaced under extended warranty in 1/4/2016 at 40K miles. Now it is 1/10/2019 75k miles getting relpaced again. Such a shame that ford doesnt replace the switch instead of replacing the entire shifter. I am calling a few different places to see if they will just fix the switch and not charge me over $100 which is my deductible. Seems like I am always fixing things on the sport, but I really like the vehicle.

Ford did chang to offering a kit to fix just the switch. Its like $20.

So the dealer said replace the Gear shift stalk for about $500.00
I have heard that it fixes it some of the time.

I had my Shifter cable tension adjusted at the transmission and it is 99% better!
I bet a bit more adjusting on the cable will finish it.

What happens what was called the " Neutral safety switch " Now called the Range Sensor if it is not aligned the truck still thinks it is in drive. Now in the process I have had to put in Neutral to start and play with it and then the light says it is in Park . It cost $100.00 vs $500.00 Hmmm..

I am a retired Mechanic with over 40 years experience and Automotive Instructor as well as a EMS First Responder that I use this vehicle as does numerous other Agency's.
Scott N.R.E.M.T. ASE Instructor

I had this same problem about a year ago and bought the shifter assembly for about 142.00 and replaced it myself. I've heard it's a common issue.

Welcome to the Forum Scott.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature in the upper right. Not much hasn't been posted about in the past 8 years.;)

Peter

So the dealer said replace the Gear shift stalk for about $500.00
I have heard that it fixes it some of the time.

I had my Shifter cable tension adjusted at the transmission and it is 99% better!
I bet a bit more adjusting on the cable will finish it.

What happens what was called the " Neutral safety switch " Now called the Range Sensor if it is not aligned the truck still thinks it is in drive. Now in the process I have had to put in Neutral to start and play with it and then the light says it is in Park . It cost $100.00 vs $500.00 Hmmm..

I am a retired Mechanic with over 40 years experience and Automotive Instructor as well as a EMS First Responder that I use this vehicle as does numerous other Agency's.
Scott N.R.E.M.T. ASE Instructor

It isnt the cable, it is the switch as this thread goes over. You can buy it for under $40 and replave it yourself.

Good day everyone. I’d been coping with this problem on my ‘13 Limited caused by the defective switch for about a year. I also had found flicking the shifter knob as in reply #389 works. Some days click it once and it was fine. Some days I clicked that damn thing for a minute or two. Finally, I decided I’ll get it fixed. Whoa... my local dealer (now ex) wanted over $500 to repair it and I said no, no, no, I’ll keep clicking! They said okie dokie, and charged me $100 anyway for diagnosing a problem and solution I researched when I brought the vehicle in. I still wanted it fixed (I don’t have the ability or talent to diy) and by coincidence I learned a co worker does vehicle electronic repairs and mods. The good man did the job at a far lower cost than my ex-dealer. If you live in the north Alabama middle Tennessee area send me a PM and I’ll be glad to let you know about his shop.

Hi vig1116,

As some of the folks have suggested below, stopping by your dealership is a great first step. Additionally, I'm happy to escalate your case to your regional customer service manager; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Great info, gang. Thanks for offering up your experience and suggestions!

Crystal
Crystal,

Thank you for your response and the thread above! It has been helpful and we have been having the same issue for the last 2 years on and off but did not know it was so bad until it started killing my battery within 24 hrs. This has been going on for the last 6 months and I have not been able to nail down where the battery drainage has been coming from. From this forum and others this looks like a big issue with with this year of ford explorer. Is there a recall on this part and if not why not, with a known safety issue. The dealer that I took the car to wants $750 just to replace the switch that is a known defective part and a safety issue.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

John

Crystal,

Thank you for your response and the thread above! It has been helpful and we have been having the same issue for the last 2 years on and off but did not know it was so bad until it started killing my battery within 24 hrs. This has been going on for the last 6 months and I have not been able to nail down where the battery drainage has been coming from. From this forum and others this looks like a big issue with with this year of ford explorer. Is there a recall on this part and if not why not, with a known safety issue. The dealer that I took the car to wants $750 just to replace the switch that is a known defective part and a safety issue.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

John
Ford Service Reps left the forum long ago. You won't get a reply from them. The switch is available seperately and your dealer should be aware of that. Here is the TSB on it. It's a $50 list price part that can be had for much less and if you are mechanically inclined you can change it yourself.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Push Button Start-Shift To Park Or Transmission Not in Park Message-Discharged Battery/Unable To Remove Key
17-2219
14 December 2017​
This bulletin supersedes 15-0047. Reason for update: New Part/Procedure For Same Condition
Model:
Ford
2011-2017 Edge
2011-2017 Explorer
2011-2017 Flex
2011-2017 Police Interceptor - Sedan
2011-2017 Taurus
Lincoln
2011-2016 MKS
2011-2017 MKT
2011-2015 MKX
Summary

The article supersedes TSB 15-0047 to direct all repairs to the updated service procedures now available through the online Workshop Manual.
Issue: Some 2011-2015 MKX, 2011-2016 MKS, and 2011-2017 Edge/Explorer/MKT/Flex/Taurus built with a floor shift selector lever and push button start models may exhibit a Shift To Park message, Transmission Not In Park message displayed while the shifter is in park position, or unable to remove the integrated keyhead transmitter (IKT), or a discharged battery due to the Shift to Park light remaining illuminated.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

Parts
Part Number Description Quantity
GT4Z-3F988-B GT4Z-3F988-B​
Shifter Kit – Park Detect Switch, 2011-2014 Edge/2011-2015 MKX/Explorer
1​
G2GZ-3F988-B G2GZ-3F988-B​
Shifter Kit – Park Detect Switch, 2015-2017 Edge
1​
GA8Z-3F988-B GA8Z-3F988-B​
Shifter Kit – Park Detect Switch, 2011-2017 Flex
1​
GG1Z-3F988-B GG1Z-3F988-B​
Shifter Kit – Park Detect Switch, 2011-2017 Taurus
1​
GE9Z-3F988-B GE9Z-3F988-B​
Shifter Kit – Park Detect Switch, 2011-2016 MKS/2011-2017 MKT
1​
GB5Z-3F988-B GB5Z-3F988-B​
Shifter Kit – Park Detect Switch, 2016-2017 Explorer
1​

Warranty Status: Information Only.

Service Procedure
Refer to the updated service procedures located in the online Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-05 to service the park detect switch on push button start vehicles or shifter assembly on key start vehicles and Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.

Welcome to the Forum jk2013explorer. :wave:
As Jason, jmr061 posted, the Ford reps left a few years ago. They left ALL Ford forums, not just ours.

Peter

Why'd they leave? Just not worth their time anymore or maybe directed by the brass above them?

I have a question. New here not sure if this is the correct place but….

1st today was driving up onto some ramps, engaged the 4WD and as I was slowly going up my ramps the dash kept giving a “shift to park” light. Why? All seemed to work fine. Never seen anything like it.

This is by far the newest vehicle I’ve owned and so far I love it just trying to figure out the small stuff I’ve not delt with before. Thanks for any info.

Shift to park warning message is extremely common on Ford vehicles from this era.. the Edge, Flex, Escape etc are all victims as well. It is caused by the metal tab on the harness no longer making contact with the shifter to tell the ECU if it is in park or not. It can be fixed a number of different ways including just simply replacing the shifter assembly.

If the explorer is AWD with terrain management there is no way to disengage the system. It is on all the time. You can change the AWD mode to fit ur driving conditions like snow, sand, mud etc...

Back