Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

stephens sporty 94

Discussion in 'Explorer Registry' started by stephen93Eddie, September 23, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Kirby N.

Kirby N. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1991 Ranger
    Solid axle for the win. I have run both a high travel TTB and a solid- and I will always reccomend the solid. When setup right, they drive well and work well offload. I love my SAS ranger and drive it everyday.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. stephen93Eddie

stephen93Eddie Active Member

City, State:
    Hamilton MT
    1994 Ford explorer sport
    Yeah I'm assuming that's the best idea for longevity and reliability. It just feels like a large task to get from point A to B but that's the fun of it. I'm just stir crazy to do something, once schools in session is when suddenly all motivation to do stuff happens, although I definitely think I'm at least going to try to break something before swapping everything I would like to get my money worth of these current gears. plus I haven't decided If I'm going to trade my dana 44 for another one with removable wedges or just buy a 60. 44 really is helpful for width. all this talk of SAS makes me even more eager to get out of school!

4. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    There are a bunch of SAS with leaf springs in the registry. Your problem is that 79' axle should have the wedgies and inner C's as one cast piece, which would make it hard to add leaf spring perches. Coil over shocks added a lot of work to mine. I thought it would be as easy as coils and shocks, but there is a lot of added figuring involved. And it was over 10K in parts alone.

I have had the Rancho 2.5" lift, 4" and 5.5" Superlifts, modified the Superlift to work better, and none of them was even close to the stability and flex I get out of my SAS. It drives/rides better on the pavement than it ever did and it has gone everywhere off-road I thought I should be taking it.

I always thought it would be fun to have something as beat as that Toyota looks to be just because I wouldn't care what happened to the body.

5. stephen93Eddie

City, State:
    Hamilton MT
    1994 Ford explorer sport
    Yeah I was thinking about swapping axles with a guy to get non cast wedges, I've see a few leaf SAS with 79 axles using toyota hangers, but Id rather have the shackle in the front than the rear. but another option would be slider boxes, all the stability of shackle rear but reduced ride height. if not I would do shackle forward, actually trying to locate an already geared axle.

6. Blue m&m

Blue m&m Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Athens, GA
    94 Sport 4X4
    92 Eddie 4x4
    Dang. You’ve got the big brother to my ride (blue 94 sport 4x4 with 6” lift and goodies). I’m diggin your thread, so keep it up.

For what it’s worth, I’m 6’ and have successfully slept in the sport. It’s a matter of going at an angle and being willing to bend your knees a bit. What if you keep the fold down seats and modified a sliding sleeper so it went over the folded seat? This would buy you an extra 6” without forgoing the seats.

How are you liking the manual transfer case?

7. stephen93Eddie

City, State:
    Hamilton MT
    1994 Ford explorer sport
    Thats my plan is to have it fold out from the drawers to make a sleeping platform that goes over the folded seats and maybe an extension to even go a bit further if the front seats were folded forward. that way I would have the storage for wheeling gear tools etc and a place to sleep thats not a RTT.

Manual transfer case is nice, but when I first did the swap I bumped it into neutral and scared myself to death thinking something broke.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kirby N.

Kirby N. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1991 Ranger
    I did one like that in my exploder. Fit a queen size air mattress perfect. Not a lot of room to sit-up but it was great.

9. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    After the cage went in, I couldn't fold the rear seats all the way down, so I gave up on trying to sleep in the Explorer. While on expedition type adventures, I got tired of unloading it to sleep, then loading it back up to drive so I started either sleeping on a cot outside or in a tent. I recently added fold down tables to my rear bumper's tire and gas can racks that perfectly fit a Coleman 2-burner camp stove, LED light strips on the inside of the hatch and a raised shelf in the back for storage with Tupperware type containers instead of drawers. I have been seriously looking at a awning like
    Catuo Tent Awning Rooftop Shelter SUV Truck Car Camping Outdoor 2018 New | eBay
    It would nearly complete my expedition type camp setup. For now, I am using a 6x8' Harbor Freight tarp, some parachute cord and ball bungies. I sleep in the RV most camping trips.

10. cruiseurway84

cruiseurway84 New Member

City, State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    2008 Ford Explorer XLT
    What brand of tires are those?

11. stephen93Eddie

City, State:
    Hamilton MT
    1994 Ford explorer sport
    Cooper MTP only availbile through discount tire.

12. stephen93Eddie

City, State:
    Hamilton MT
    1994 Ford explorer sport
    well update time. bought @Four0Sport's front end and some other things.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Four0Sport

Four0Sport Jack Pewe Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    West Virginia
    1993 2dr
    I hope you get as much enjoyment out of that 44 as I did

14. yostyexplorer94

yostyexplorer94 Yost Offroad Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    South Central PA
    1994 Explorer
    Callsign:
    yosty
    Good purchase. Have you decided on radius arms? The duff arms are nice because they have a bend in them to help clear larger tires at full turn.

15. stephen93Eddie

City, State:
    Hamilton MT
    1994 Ford explorer sport
    not really, gonna run stockers tell i decide what im gonna do, but the plan is to fab some up still on the fence on extended vs wristed vs extended and wristed, joints etc.

need to update this thread with some pictures, the explorer now has an atlas 2 speed with 5 to 1 low, 2nd gear in low is about the same ratio as stock case low 1st gear. pretty setup. have some surprises for tires soon.

• Like Like x 1
  16. stephen93Eddie

City, State:
    Hamilton MT
    1994 Ford explorer sport
    Hey any opinions on shocks? expensive vs cheap? almost done with my Wristed radius arm and need a 12 inch travel shock for the front. I'm thinking monotubes for body roll but am open to anything. also really need to get a picture on here with the 38.5/15r16 boggers on the explorer.

17. fsos

fsos New Member

City, State:
    paris, france
    mike jordan
    Yeah I understand this, like others I find the uniqueness of the TTB awesome just trying to find out what works and what doesn't. Current plan are just to figure out steering and radius arms.

Last edited: November 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1