A 94 model built in september of 94? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A 94 model built in september of 94?

Malchi

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 X 4x4
Ok, was at the local pick a part today making sure the trans I wanted was still there to go get this Saturday when everything is 1/2 off. The one I want is from a 1994 model with only 123K miles, and looks pretty clean.

Anyway, I was noticing that the odometer on this particular one has 6 digits, plus the .10 as well. So, it reads right about 123000.5, or so, and I was thinking that, it being a 94, they must have changed the odometer that year since all the other 1st gen explorers only show 5 digits, plus the .10. But, then I found another 94 and it only had the 5 digits on the odometer. So, I looked at production year, and the one with 5 digits was built in early 94, whereas the one with 6 digits was built in late 94, like around september. Hmmmmmm, I thought that all vehicles built after around June or so were considered the next year model? But, this one has the Emission sticker which says that it conforms to the 1994 year model.

So, is this a 1994 or 1995? And, most important, will the trans be the same A4LD that I have in my 1991? Any suggestions?

I do have the VIN off of it and plan to do a CarFax report on it just to see if it brings up anything. But, I would still like some input from the professionals on this forum to be sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorers shipped to certain states had different odometers, for example my 93 had the six digit odometer with a new york state only sticker on the back. You will have an a4ld, there may be wiring differences though.

It was a mid-year change (early '94s will have 5 digits + tenths, later ones 6 digits + tenths). My '94 Ranger built 4/94 has 6 digits + tenths.

If it was a 95 it would be easy to tell as it would be a 2nd gen.

What are the differences in a 2nd gen? Would it be obvious? It "looked" like a 1st gen by casual observance.

Sorry, I really don't know. I just bought my '91 back a month or so ago, and it's the first Explorer I've ever owned. And, before I bought this one I just never paid any attention to Explorers. I have always been a Jeep and Toyota man. :eek:

But, I am being slowwly converted....:D

Back