SVT/Cobra engine swap advice needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SVT/Cobra engine swap advice needed.

Interested in swaping a 4.6 SVT or cobra 32 valves in my Explorer 2002 (4.0)
I would like to have some imput here. Since I have easy access to parts (i.e. complete engine and trans, etc) what I need is technical advice. Somebody that either did it or try it before.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome jaito

The `02+ 4Dr Explorers got the 4.6 SOHC motors in them, and it's not a REAL tight fit, but there's not ALOT of room in there.

Which Cobra motor you looking to swap in? The NA 4.6L, or the Terminator that was in the 03/04?

Either way, the DOHC is doable, I think it was installed in the Aviator...

But if you are talking about a 2002 Sport...that is a TOTALLY different vehicle, and it HAS been done, but there was A LOT of cutting, and removal of A/C, power brakes, and Power Steering...

Good luck...sound like a cool project.

Ryan

The `02+ 4Dr Explorers got the 4.6 SOHC motors in them, and it's not a REAL tight fit, but there's not ALOT of room in there.

Which Cobra motor you looking to swap in? The NA 4.6L, or the Terminator that was in the 03/04?

Either way, the DOHC is doable, I think it was installed in the Aviator...

But if you are talking about a 2002 Sport...that is a TOTALLY different vehicle, and it HAS been done, but there was A LOT of cutting, and removal of A/C, power brakes, and Power Steering...

Good luck...sound like a cool project.

Ryan

Thanks for your answer. It's a 2002 XLT, 6 cyl, 4x4, Th engine will come from a wrecked Mustang (Many to pick from) And probably will just throw the tranny away and go with the one from the Mustang also. It's just an idea, I like the DOHC, and need a project to work with. I will keep looking and browsing. Thanks again.

Thanks for your replay. There is a lot of good info there. I really enjoyed looking at the works in the GT350, the engine by itself is just wonderful. My project is a 02 Explorer XLT 4.0. I was thinkink in something nice, and definitely the DOHC is more interesting that any 5.0 specialy if I replace the whole think engine and tranny with the parts from the same donor car. I will keep looking and bowsing until I get my mind (And budget) set up right.

Do research on the Aviator, that has the DOHC and a 5R55 trans in it. That will have a lot of the external engine parts you will need. I'd say that the Aviator wiring harness would also be the best match for the Explorer, only slightly better than the Mustang harness. The Mustang harness could work, but I'm sure that a few little things are different.

The more that you know about the Aviator, the more documentation and pictures you have, the easier your project will be. I wanted a DOHC in my truck long ago, before learning that it doesn't rightly go into the 95-01 trucks. You will need a PCM from a similar year as your truck, the Aviator probably being the best. Regards,

I would use the pcm from a 02-05 V-8 Explorer. Don't use one from a Aviator or '99 or newer mustang. These vehicles have a true returnless style fuel system which is a nightmare if you aren't educated on the workings of the system. The 02-05 has a mechanical returnless which makes the system alot easier to deal with. Yes the 4.6L 2v computer will control a 4v engine. I have tuned S E V E R A L. The system will require tuning, anyway you look at it. Tuning will definately be a must. If you have any questions feel free to contact me direct. I see this alot with Mustangs.

Please note the processors in any Mustang or Cobra for that matter from 1996-2004 is an EEC-v. Your truck has a Power PC. The EEC-v never controlled a 5speed auto. It wasn't till 2005 the Mustang got the 5R55S (sister tranny to the 5R55W)-which was a Power PC type processor that controlled the 4.6L (3V) and the marriage of the 5R55s trans. There is a little problem is that the 2005 model year added drive by wire throttle to the equation. More reasoning for you to continue with a 02-05 processor from your model year truck. -j

Oh yeah! Final thoughts- The 5r55w or S in the modular family has a large and small bell housing. Be sure to get a tranny with the corresponding setup. V6 5r55s/w's are small housings and the v8 5r55s/w's are large housings. Believe me when I tell you I have alot of history with this tranny. ;-)

Thanks for the advice for him James. Which PCM does the Aviator have if it's not an EEC V, and he has a 2002 XLT, isn't that an EEC V?

Power PC- but the particular vehicle has a true returnless style fuel system. The processor controls the fuel rail pressure. It visually looks like the 2002-05 Explorer processor on the outside.-j

I need any advice i can get on the cobra swap. I have a 93 ranger splash with the 4.0 motor. I just bought a 96 dohc svt cobra motor. I have already started the tear down and need to know if the cab has to come off to get it in. Also what are the major differences in the two wiring harnesses. I know its not an explorer but I think its a cool project but need some help.

Thanks

Ditto, look on the RPS forum and find other trucks with the DOHC. I'm sure there are a couple, but it will take some hunting.

The DOHC is too big for your truck, too much trouble for what you end up with. Yes it can be done, but with many space and parts sacrifices. Plus the performance will be less than what can be done with a 302 for the same money. Good luck,

I need any advice i can get on the cobra swap. I have a 93 ranger splash with the 4.0 motor. I just bought a 96 dohc svt cobra motor. I have already started the tear down and need to know if the cab has to come off to get it in. Also what are the major differences in the two wiring harnesses. I know its not an explorer but I think its a cool project but need some help.

Thanks

Well I can tell you squeezing the 4.6 DOHC into a ranger will be one heck of a battle! The 4.6 into Rangers is like climbing the Alps, many try and many fail. Here's one guy who got it into a 98 ranger: http://281ranger.homestead.com/

The novelty of the DOHC is the only reason to do that swap. I wish anyone well who does it. But for power, the money spent on the DOHC can do more in an easy to bolt in 302 based engine. People spend huge amounts on strong built modular engines, just the basic engine is very expensive.

02 4.6 swap to a dohc 02 cobra

So im a little late on this one here i have a 03 4.6 eb with the norm bolt ons lowered on 17'' bullets and i just now picked up a 2nd 02 4.6 xlt with a blowen motor went to my uncals junk yard and got a 4.6 dohc with 40k on it and now going to start the swap any info would help :thumbsup:

Back