Explorer Cobra...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Cobra...?

Hey just wanting to get some opinions on my plans for the future of my explorer. I am thinking of putting in a cobra engine and drive train, a lightning rear end and doing away with my transfer case. Or maybe just put in a lightning drive train (motor, trans, rear); but i was wondering if putting the 5.4 motor in would cause any engine bay over heating issues, or if it would even fit? I was also wondering that since i want to swap out my SOHC V6, do I need to do any engine bay/mount modifications to install the cobra motor or lightning motor? I am not starting anything anytime soon except for saving $$ for it, but was jus wondering if it is any at all possible. Thanks
-Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.6L(found in the Cobra) and the 5.4L(found in the lightning) are way to big for our engine compartments. Someone has a pic of a 302 and a 4.6 DOHC next to each other. The DOHC is huge! It would be easier to swap in a 302 and stroke it out and supercharge it. The rearend of an Explorer is pretty stout as is. Search for Troll on here. He has an impressive truck.

A 5 liter is a really tight fit in a second gen. explorer. With that said, look at this comparison-

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 623

The Cobra motor would be the way to go. But get this.. the whole difference between the Cobra motor and the Explorer 5.0 motor is the cam, front accessories bracket, and DIS system. So basically if you got a 5.0 Explorer, and swapped out the camshaft, you'd have a Cobra motor. Any why would you want to swap rear-ends?

There is no way you can squeeze a 5.4L into the Explorer bay unless you didn't want to run any accessories such as A/C, P/S, etc. Those things are pretty crammed into the F150 engine bay.

I'm not sure about the Lightning, but I know my roomie's '00 F150 4X4 has the same tranny as my 5.0 does. So there would be no point in swapping that out either.

Section- i assumed what he meant by a Cobra motor was the 4vavle 4.6

james t said:
Section- i assumed what he meant by a Cobra motor was the 4vavle 4.6

Doh! Who would want to play with a 4.6L anyway? :p

section525 said:
Doh! Who would want to play with a 4.6L anyway? :p

Me :D Who needs inner fenders, washer fluid, power brakes, and anything else. Hell, get rid of the battery, PULL START!!

IAmTodd said:
Me :D Who needs inner fenders, washer fluid, power brakes, and anything else. Hell, get rid of the battery, PULL START!!

pull start, sh*t i have trouble pull starting my single clyinder quad. I'd like to see someone pull start a v8... :p

Thanks a lot for the pic, I was looking on here for it the other week. I never knew the 4.6 was so much bigger than the 5.0. Thanks for your opinions. So...if i swap out the 6 and put in the 8, I wont need a new rear-end, but what about tranny? Also does anyone know if the rear end is posi or not? Just curious

(jamest - thanks for the pic. I have looked for that damn pic a hundred times and never could find it and forgot who had it.... :chug: )

98redxlt said:
Thanks a lot for the pic, I was looking on here for it the other week. I never knew the 4.6 was so much bigger than the 5.0. Thanks for your opinions. So...if i swap out the 6 and put in the 8, I wont need a new rear-end, but what about tranny? Also does anyone know if the rear end is posi or not? Just curious

Swap in a 347 like CobraXP is going to do. :p

Isn't POSI a Cheby term?? :p You can check the axle code on your door jam to see what gear ratio you have and whether it's limited slip or not. :cool:

i wanna swap out the 4.6 liter in my car for the 5.4 liter truck engine,

i've seen it done and have found an article on the net of how to do it :D

My buddy wants to do this too. Says all you really need is the small block and some intake adapter or something. Swap the cams and you'll have a fast 4V setup. :vrrooom:

I am planning on selling my 98 mountaineer, which has an uninstalled powerdyne supercharger to go with it. The engine is modified with forged everything, 347 stroker, new block, runs good. 18,000 into engine and trans, sell whole thing for 13,000. fyi 3500 miles on new drivetrain. Wife doesn't like it so I need to get her something quick 620 473 2627 or jtsmith_@excite.com
I know this isn't proper forum but I'm reaching here

Attachments

• long block1.jpg
    long block1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 531
  • Art Carr installed sized.jpg
    Art Carr installed sized.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 474
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 483

also this, shown without engine
EE lowering kit with edelbrock shocks, 17 X 9 cobra wheels with 295 50 r 17 Cooper Cobras,Flowmaster cat back dual exhaust with hanging spare, 500 horse, 700 with supercharger( at flywheel, so they say) X-303 cam 42 lb injectors,87mm pro-m mafs with maf programmer and software, Davis carchip and software, Apten flip chip, Edelbrock heads,probe pistons billet crank, h-beam rods 3.4" stroke with Chevy journals from Central Coast, Engine assembled by Jack Simmons, full balance and blueprint. Clarion cd speakers polk sub sony amp scoche sub amp, dvd with 2 monitors, new carpet and headliner material. THIS IS A STEAL!!!!!

Attachments

• our cat laroy no fear.jpg
    our cat laroy no fear.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 506

Back