Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Time for tires

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by gsueagle2424, July 17, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

Which to choose?

Poll closed November 15, 2017.
  1. EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

25.0%
  2. PREMIER LTX

50.0%
  3. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS

25.0%
  1. Argentimage

Argentimage Active Member

City, State:
    MI
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 Limited
    surprised to see that 16k or 37k is good or acceptable. The BFG's OE tire for the Gen 3's 72k miles x 2, on the third set.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
  4. Halford1

Halford1 Active Member

City, State:
    California
    2014 Ford Explorer XLT
    Last edited by a moderator: August 11, 2017
  5. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Last edited: August 11, 2017
  6. 182RG

182RG Active Member

City, State:
    Winchester, VA
    '11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI
  7. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    2015 Explorer XLT
    I had Duelers on my '99 Explorer (HLs, then AT Revo), and on my '05 Grand Cherokee (Alenza). The Revos would stick to the ground no matter what. Rain, snow, dry, it didn't matter. I never lost traction. The Alenzas were good, though not quite that good. Whether that was the difference in tire model, or vehicle, I don't know. I don't remember if they were a 50k or 60k tire from Firestone, but whichever it was, they lasted much longer. They were about due for replacement when I traded the Jeep.

If I keep the '13 long enough to need tires, I'll certainly consider them again.

8. Halford1

Halford1 Active Member

City, State:
    California
    2014 Ford Explorer XLT
    I bought the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza on sale at Costco and they just had the 1 cent installation each tire which would have cost me $15 each tire. The ride is smooth and I love that new tire smell. Its gonna last 80,000 miles (hopefully) but that will affect my tire shopping which I enjoy doing.

9. Svt95gt

Svt95gt New Member

City, State:
    Kansas City
    2013 Explorer Sport
    Looking for advice on replacement all season tires. Would like to get a bit more performance than the Hankooks it came with but not looking for a 15k tire life either.

Looked at Pirelli PZero All season, Hankook S1 Noble2, Nitto 420s... a couple other. All seem to get very mixed reviews.

What are you all running? What to stay away from?

10. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I think you find some info here.

11. john gorsuch

john gorsuch New Member

City, State:
    new kensington, pa
    2017 explorer XLT
    I searched back on this thread and I can't find what I am looking for, so I am going to ask.....does anyone have any experience with light to heavy snow using the Michelin latitude tour HP tires? My new 2017 has the 245/60/R18's of these on it, and I like how they ride on dry, but not so much in rain, and winter is coming soon and I live in the Pittsburgh area. So I am concerned about good traction, the reviews are so so on tire rack. I also have to travel across state to the eastern side which means crossing the mountains in the winter and my experience there is weather is unpredictable at times. I was considering changing them to an AT tire but pickings are slim....like 2 types. (yoko geolander ATS, and 1 other). I am used to full size trucks with AT tires, so not being able to get an AT tire on this explorer has me baffled....I really didn't want to have 2 set of tires. I like hankook dynapro ATMs but the closest I can get to size is a 255/60/R18 and concerned with fit and effects on the vehicle and warranty. Any comments?

12. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    The Michelin HP is rated as 'Fair' in snow and ice on Tirerack. That is their lowest score. If it's traction you want you won't beat a dedicated Winter tire since they won't stiffen up when it gets cold. The Yokohama Geolander is shown as 'Good' which is also its lowest score. The Hankook ATM only has 2 rating on Tirerack but has 4 reviews on 1010tires.com (4.3 out of 5) and they seem to better than the others. I'm guessing it must be a fairly new tire.
    The 255/60R18 has a 1.6% diameter variance, well within the max variance of 3%. A 235/65R18 is slightly better at 1.5%. https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=245-60r18-255-60r18
    There should be no issues with fit. If it's the OEM warranty you are concerned about then refer back to my previous reply.. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/warranty-question.466348/#post-3650571
    In addition to the pages indicated in that post you may also want to read the Warranty Guide that came with the documentation for your Explorer.

Peter

Last edited: September 16, 2017
  13. TBill

TBill Active Member

City, State:
    Prescott, AZ
    2014 Explorer Limited
    I put the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus tires on my 2014 Limited about a month ago, not noisey as some reviews indicated, so far so good!

14. roamingphantom

roamingphantom Active Member

City, State:
    NYC
    2013 EX Limited, 302A
    Hi All,
    Like many of you I am looking to replace my 20inch Hankooks (33k miles) from my 2013 Ex. I am thinking the Michelin Defender LTX or the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS. Do you have any opinion either way? These are the only two I am considering as Both have exceptional reviews and performs very highly in snow. The ratings are close but the Pirelli is almost $40 per tire less than the Michelins = $160 saving. Planning on having a little one in the car soon so safety is an absolute for me.

Thanks for the help and any guidance
    Total installed Pierlli - 820, Michelin - 940 - OTD

Last edited: October 9, 2017
  15. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    The LTX appears to be a popular choice according to the later posts in this thread. Check out post 379 and subsequent ones on the previous page. In either case if safety is an absolute like you say, neither will perform as well as a dedicated Winter tire in snow or on cold bare roads since they don't have the proper rubber compounds that remain flexible for optimum traction.

Peter

16. Odrapnew

Odrapnew Active Member

City, State:
    MN
    2014 Explorer Sport
    I'm in a similar situation....although I'm almost 2x the miles and I'm also considering the Michelin Premier LTX.
    The Hankooks have been just fine for me, although winter traction isn't the greatest.
    One thing I don't want to lose is the steering feel. While it's no sports car, I don't want it to feel any less disconnected.
    I've read that the Defenders are a little "softer" due to the extra initial tread depth vs. the Premier, but the Defenders also provide better snow traction.

I read good reviews of both the Pirellis and Michelins(both the Defender and Premier), so it's a tough choice.
    I know Peter had the Pirellis on his, but not sure if his saw much snow with them. I'm sure he'll chime in.

17. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    If you're referring to me, I never had Pirellis. I use dedicated Winter tires for better performance and safety and a yearly 5% insurance discount.:)

18. KayGee

KayGee Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Farmington, MI
    '16 & '17 PIU
    Milestar MS932 255/50R20 $99 USD each walmart - set of four installed with road hazard certs should run about $515 OTD depending on your local tax rate.

I know a few people that have put these on Jeep GCs and I have a set on a Chevy sedan right now (225/60R16) and they have been good so far.

Just an FYI for those that don't need a specific brand and aren't averse to no brand tires. They are a 50K mile tire that meets DOT specs and are legal for sale in the US.

19. Odrapnew

Odrapnew Active Member

City, State:
    MN
    2014 Explorer Sport
    My mistake. I thought you had them installed in place of the Hankooks when you leased your 2011 Explorer(in addition to the winter tires).

20. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Those were the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires.;)

21. Odrapnew

Odrapnew Active Member

City, State:
    MN
    2014 Explorer Sport
    Parada, Pirelli, close enough.