Time for tires | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
surprised to see that 16k or 37k is good or acceptable. The BFG's OE tire for the Gen 3's 72k miles x 2, on the third set.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus tires good for 2014 Explorers?

I am shopping for good tires. I noticed at Costco the Bridgestone tires has 80,000 miles warranty and these tires are similar to Michelin Tour which I am using but Michelin offer 60,000 miles warranty. I am asking if Bridgestone tires are good?

I had Duelers on my '99 Explorer (HLs, then AT Revo), and on my '05 Grand Cherokee (Alenza). The Revos would stick to the ground no matter what. Rain, snow, dry, it didn't matter. I never lost traction. The Alenzas were good, though not quite that good. Whether that was the difference in tire model, or vehicle, I don't know. I don't remember if they were a 50k or 60k tire from Firestone, but whichever it was, they lasted much longer. They were about due for replacement when I traded the Jeep.

If I keep the '13 long enough to need tires, I'll certainly consider them again.

I bought the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza on sale at Costco and they just had the 1 cent installation each tire which would have cost me $15 each tire. The ride is smooth and I love that new tire smell. Its gonna last 80,000 miles (hopefully) but that will affect my tire shopping which I enjoy doing.

Looking for advice on replacement all season tires. Would like to get a bit more performance than the Hankooks it came with but not looking for a 15k tire life either.

Looked at Pirelli PZero All season, Hankook S1 Noble2, Nitto 420s... a couple other. All seem to get very mixed reviews.

What are you all running? What to stay away from?

Looking for advice on replacement all season tires. Would like to get a bit more performance than the Hankooks it came with but not looking for a 15k tire life either.

Looked at Pirelli PZero All season, Hankook S1 Noble2, Nitto 420s... a couple other. All seem to get very mixed reviews.

What are you all running? What to stay away from?
I think you find some info here.

I searched back on this thread and I can't find what I am looking for, so I am going to ask.....does anyone have any experience with light to heavy snow using the Michelin latitude tour HP tires? My new 2017 has the 245/60/R18's of these on it, and I like how they ride on dry, but not so much in rain, and winter is coming soon and I live in the Pittsburgh area. So I am concerned about good traction, the reviews are so so on tire rack. I also have to travel across state to the eastern side which means crossing the mountains in the winter and my experience there is weather is unpredictable at times. I was considering changing them to an AT tire but pickings are slim....like 2 types. (yoko geolander ATS, and 1 other). I am used to full size trucks with AT tires, so not being able to get an AT tire on this explorer has me baffled....I really didn't want to have 2 set of tires. I like hankook dynapro ATMs but the closest I can get to size is a 255/60/R18 and concerned with fit and effects on the vehicle and warranty. Any comments?

The Michelin HP is rated as 'Fair' in snow and ice on Tirerack. That is their lowest score. If it's traction you want you won't beat a dedicated Winter tire since they won't stiffen up when it gets cold. The Yokohama Geolander is shown as 'Good' which is also its lowest score. The Hankook ATM only has 2 rating on Tirerack but has 4 reviews on 1010tires.com (4.3 out of 5) and they seem to better than the others. I'm guessing it must be a fairly new tire.
The 255/60R18 has a 1.6% diameter variance, well within the max variance of 3%. A 235/65R18 is slightly better at 1.5%. https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=245-60r18-255-60r18
There should be no issues with fit. If it's the OEM warranty you are concerned about then refer back to my previous reply.. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/warranty-question.466348/#post-3650571
In addition to the pages indicated in that post you may also want to read the Warranty Guide that came with the documentation for your Explorer.

Peter

I put the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus tires on my 2014 Limited about a month ago, not noisey as some reviews indicated, so far so good!

Hi All,
Like many of you I am looking to replace my 20inch Hankooks (33k miles) from my 2013 Ex. I am thinking the Michelin Defender LTX or the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS. Do you have any opinion either way? These are the only two I am considering as Both have exceptional reviews and performs very highly in snow. The ratings are close but the Pirelli is almost $40 per tire less than the Michelins = $160 saving. Planning on having a little one in the car soon so safety is an absolute for me.

Thanks for the help and any guidance
Total installed Pierlli - 820, Michelin - 940 - OTD

Hi All,
Like many of you I am looking to replace my 20inch Hankooks (33k miles) from my 2013 Ex. I am thinking the Michelin Defender LTX or the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS. Do you have any opinion either way? These are the only two I am considering as Both have exceptional reviews and performs very highly in snow. The ratings are close but the Pirelli is almost $40 per tire less than the Michelins = $160 saving. Planning on having a little one in the car soon so safety is an absolute for me.

The LTX appears to be a popular choice according to the later posts in this thread. Check out post 379 and subsequent ones on the previous page. In either case if safety is an absolute like you say, neither will perform as well as a dedicated Winter tire in snow or on cold bare roads since they don't have the proper rubber compounds that remain flexible for optimum traction.

Peter

Hi All,

I'm in a similar situation....although I'm almost 2x the miles and I'm also considering the Michelin Premier LTX.
The Hankooks have been just fine for me, although winter traction isn't the greatest.
One thing I don't want to lose is the steering feel. While it's no sports car, I don't want it to feel any less disconnected.
I've read that the Defenders are a little "softer" due to the extra initial tread depth vs. the Premier, but the Defenders also provide better snow traction.

I read good reviews of both the Pirellis and Michelins(both the Defender and Premier), so it's a tough choice.
I know Peter had the Pirellis on his, but not sure if his saw much snow with them. I'm sure he'll chime in.

I'm in a similar situation....although I'm almost 2x the miles and I'm also considering the Michelin Premier LTX.
The Hankooks have been just fine for me, although winter traction isn't the greatest.
One thing I don't want to lose is the steering feel. While it's no sports car, I don't want it to feel any less disconnected.
I've read that the Defenders are a little "softer" due to the extra initial tread depth vs. the Premier, but the Defenders also provide better snow traction.

I read good reviews of both the Pirellis and Michelins(both the Defender and Premier), so it's a tough choice.
I know Peter had the Pirellis on his, but not sure if his saw much snow with them. I'm sure he'll chime in.
If you're referring to me, I never had Pirellis. I use dedicated Winter tires for better performance and safety and a yearly 5% insurance discount.:)

Milestar MS932 255/50R20 $99 USD each walmart - set of four installed with road hazard certs should run about $515 OTD depending on your local tax rate.

I know a few people that have put these on Jeep GCs and I have a set on a Chevy sedan right now (225/60R16) and they have been good so far.

Just an FYI for those that don't need a specific brand and aren't averse to no brand tires. They are a 50K mile tire that meets DOT specs and are legal for sale in the US.

If you're referring to me, I never had Pirellis. I use dedicated Winter tires for better performance and safety and a yearly 5% insurance discount.:)

My mistake. I thought you had them installed in place of the Hankooks when you leased your 2011 Explorer(in addition to the winter tires).

My mistake. I thought you had them installed in place of the Hankooks when you leased your 2011 Explorer(in addition to the winter tires).
Those were the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back