1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Time for tires

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by gsueagle2424, July 17, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

Which to choose?

Poll closed November 15, 2017.
  1. EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

25.0%
  2. PREMIER LTX

50.0%
  3. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS

25.0%
  1. TimGinCentralNJ

TimGinCentralNJ Member

City, State:
    Bloomsbury, NJ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 X XLT 4WD
    Since Spring 2014, we've been running the Nitto NT 421Q's on my wife 2011 XLT and have been extremely happy with them. They're very quiet, seem to be wearing very evenly, they handle extremely well in wet and dry, and do a great job of resisting hydroplaning (heck, they even do well in the deep sands of Outer Banks, NC)...the only condition we haven't yet had a chance to try them in is "snow". Despite getting about 8"+ the day before Thanksgiving, it was pretty wet and really not an accurate test.

One thing which really puzzles me about this tire is the fact it's been out since 2011/2012 and I've yet to find a single review on it (owner or otherwise)--not even a "bad" review. Nothing. Even on sites like Discount Tire, which sells Nittos, there's not a single customer review.

Anyway, I'll report back after I've had a chance to give them a good run-down in the white stuff. Worst case scenario, if they turn out to be really awful in the snow/ice, I would still give them a glowing review as a 3 season tire!

Tim

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Holligl

Holligl Active Member

City, State:
    Hoffman Estates, IL
    2011 Limited Platinum
    Just finished a 2,000 mile trip to Virginia and back. Had rain, snow and slush in the mountains of West Virginia. Did pretty well for an all season tire. I was a little disappointed in the mileage, which seemed to be about 0.5 mpg less than the Hankooks. I rechecked the pressure today and it was about 3 lbs lower than I normally run, so I'm hoping that was the difference. Seemed to handle curves in the mountains well. I plan to post reviews after I get a few more miles. They seem to be feature rich given the low price.

4. Fpo

Fpo Active Member

City, State:
    Chicago
    2013 Explorer Sport
    Installed

[​IMG]

5. binaryman3

binaryman3 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Arvada, CO
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    Fpo, Which Blizzacks did you get? I bought a set of LM-60's and 20 inch wheels for winter tires. I have driven them about 500 miles now and they ride as good or better as the factory Hankooks. Been through one snowstorm and some icy conditions so far and they handle great in snow and ice.

6. TimGinCentralNJ

TimGinCentralNJ Member

City, State:
    Bloomsbury, NJ
    2011 X XLT 4WD
    That's good to hear....well...other than the drop in mileage which I'm sure has something to do with your inflation. I normally run my tires about 3-4 PSI higher than the door jam recommends, too, but often it will depend on how the tires I'm running respond to the higher pressures. In my experience, some seem to get a little "squirrelly".

As for the Nittos, originally, I had some concerns over the idea of buying a set of tires from a brand which wasn't known for producing anything other than cut-rate, el-cheapo tires for the "Fast 'n Furious crowd" along the likes of "Nankang", etc. But, it seems that Nitto is actually manufacturing some decent, well-made tires and I'm seeing many of their models on upscale sedans and SUVs now. I guess it makes sense since Hankook orig came from humble beginnings, too...

Please keep us posted on your experience with the NT 421Q's....they sure sound like a "win".

Cheers,
    Tim

7. adamjeeps

adamjeeps Member

2013 Lincoln MKT
    Your new tires have a slightly larger diameter than your old worn out tires. The odometer therefore thinks you have traveled less miles, since your tires are larger than the ones you took off. So you are most likely getting the same mpg. Here is a link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=177

8. Fpo

Fpo Active Member

City, State:
    Chicago
    2013 Explorer Sport
    I got the dm-v1's
    Very happy with them.

9. Holligl

Holligl Active Member

City, State:
    Hoffman Estates, IL
    2011 Limited Platinum
    Interesting. That combined with air pressure would explain it. I started to look for new RPM comparison with the Hankooks but haven't found any yet.

10. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    When I had my 2011 Ltd and swapped out the OEM 20" with the 17" Winter wheels, my trip to the same gas station was always a little further, at least according to the odometer. :D There was a 1.67% diameter difference.

Peter

11. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Many of us are apparently using this same tire. I see that Bridgestone is now advertising the Blizzak WS-80 as 'the' Winter tire in their TV ads.

Peter

12. Fpo

Fpo Active Member

City, State:
    Chicago
    2013 Explorer Sport
    I did get an offer for a free winter kit. Free is Free

[​IMG]

13. On The Bcyde

On The Bcyde New Member

City, State:
    New York
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus

Been doing a lot of research. Out of all the posts I haven't heard anyone mention Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus. Is this a bad tire? Its got great reviews on tire rack. I am looking for a good all around tire.. Mainly for wet and slick roads in the winter. I have the Latitude HP with just over 60k

14. adamjeeps

adamjeeps Member

2013 Lincoln MKT
    I just put these on my Dodge Dakota. They seem like a quiet, nice riding tire. It's only been a couple of weeks but so far so good.

15. foxtemple

foxtemple Active Member

City, State:
    Philadelphia, PA
    2011 Ford Explorer
    my local tire warehouse place is pushing me towards some Toyo proxes ST II tires for $160usd a piece. Any thoughts? They seem to have good reviews on 1010tires.com

16. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Have you checked if your dealer can get those tires and what their price would be? Their slogan is that they won't be undersold on tires.

Peter

17. lexrid

lexrid Active Member

City, State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    2011 Limited
    We ended up getting 54,000 miles out of the OEM Hankooks. Ended up putting a new set of Hankooks on it this week.

18. Holligl

Holligl Active Member

City, State:
    Hoffman Estates, IL
    2011 Limited Platinum
    OK, so now I have about 7000 miles on the Nitto NQ421s. The mileage improved running at about 38-39lbs of pressure. Pretty good/expected handing in all weather. The only thing I have noticed is on certain road surfaces and conditions, they seem to cause some noise. One stretch with the radio off I thought I was hearing a slight transmission whine which disappeared when the road conditions changed. Grooved roads seem loader than the Hankooks. After 7K they still look like new. One additional good feature is the rim recess which will protect the rims better than the OEMs. Given the price I paid I would buy them again. Spending more, I would likely focus on lower rolling resistance tires.

19. goochman

goochman Member

2014 Explorer Limited
    Any suggestions on good All Season tires for the 20" rims - something better than the Hankooks?

20. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I was very happy with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. Found that they have a little more aggressive tread than the Hankooks. In fact I had them installed the same day I picked up my 2011 Limited from the dealer.

Peter

21. ieee_raider

ieee_raider Active Member

City, State:
    Paris, TX
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport