To "2014" or NOT to "2014.. from 2013".. That is the Question? Help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To "2014" or NOT to "2014.. from 2013".. That is the Question? Help?

dddurham1975

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this thread after being a lurker for over a year now. I have an early production 2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD (Sterling Gray w/Charcoal Interior) fully loaded with every possible option. Similar to most of you on this thread, I've experienced a plethora of inter-related issues that have been addressed but overall, my EXP has been one of the best SUV's thus far.

Prior to this, I had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit V-8 that had to be repurchased from Chrysler due to air suspension issues. While I loved the Jeep, I was too afraid and immediately bought the 2013 Explorer. Now with 28K on the odometer, I have been thinking of trading for a newer 2014 EXP (as a do-over so that I can extra pamper it as well). Before making that decision, I started doing research on the competition.

Before jumping into the competition, I must say that the EXP wins in a lot of categories including price. My biggest complaint, "Pllleeeasse put the EcoBoost v-6 in the limited model!!" After having other SUV's, this is my biggest gripe. Also, now with 28K on the odometer, pain in the "rear-end" service departments, and some quality issues, I am a little hesitant again? Additionally, my Jeep felt heavier (and the curb weight #'s prove it) and more robust compared to my EXP. I can remember taking the EXP over to the Jeep store and showing my buddy (salesman) the new purchase. He opened and closed the door and right away asked me, "Is the door panel supposed to shake like that when you close it? What is the exterior materials made out of?" I agreed with him.. As time went on, I realized that my EXP was not a tank compared to the 5 passenger Jeep?

Now to the competition... I have been a busy beaver this early fall that's for sure!

- 2014 MDX: I highly anticipated that this would "woo" me based off of the preliminary photos. Once it arrived, I test drove a fully loaded model and LOVED the acceleration and some of the feature content. Overall though, I did not see enough distinction there to make me purchase it over the EXP. The gauge cluster seemed somewhat dated to me (we had a 2008 MDX), and it did not have all the options that are on the EXP. After seeing several on the road, it looks like the old model and kind of bland on the sides? I decided to SKIP that one...

- 2014 BMW X5: Just drove this puppy the other day, hot off of the presses. Very very nice vehicle, the 2013 drove better and felt more sporty I must admit. Side by side to my EXP, it looked like a BMW wagon in scale! I even asked the salesman, "IS this an AWD model? It looks so small in comparison." Drove nice, beautiful wide-screen NAV display, great features, but I would be out of $80K for a fully loaded 3.5 inline 6-cylinder model... so I'm not too much on board with this one. My disclaimer: I know that this is an expensive vehicle, but I wanted to see if "I" could find enough difference between my vehicle to justify moving up in price scale.

- 2014 MB ML320 BluTec: Absolutely loveeedd this vehicle with the Diesel engine. I didn't want to test drive it but the guy talked me into it. Liked it much better than the regular gasoline model. Options and packages were horrendous! When I landed on what I wanted, once again I'm at 80K and STILL did not have all of the same equipment that's on the EXP. The new equipment (i.e. heated and cooled cup holders) were worthless to me. So my verdict is somewhat negative on this one as well.

- 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit V-8: This one is VERY VERY high on my list. The power and 8-speed transmission is to DIE FOR! Lots of bells and whistles that I absolutely love, LED accent lighting and articulating headlamps. While almost 100% sold on this one again, I then realized, "Hey.. how do I activate the lane departure?".... Duh.. Jeep forgot to add this feature! OMG.. I was not happy because I do like that feature. It has nearly the same options as my EXP (except no parking assist and 3rd row), cost is similar, more power, but missing LDW? Soooo.. I'm a little bummed out on that one again... but it's still in the running.

Last but not least....

- 2014 Infiniti QX 80 (formerly QX 56): This is one big SUV that's for sure, but once again for the $75K price range, it had some of the most advance options and was easy to configure without having to use 4-sheets of paper. I drove a fully loaded model with the Hydraulic Body Control feature. I must admit, very very impressive. Power was great, handing was top notch, interior quality was superb compared to the MB and BMW! I loved the room inside and all of the gizmos that it had to offer. Oddly enough, It had this feature that would automatically apply the brakes when you lift off of the accelerator! This only happens if it feels you are rapidly approaching another vehicle that's at a complete stop! Same goes for the automatic braking when backing this beast up. I tried to park it next to my SUV when returning from the test drive. It sensed that I was getting toooo close and applied the brakes. All of their driver aids did not feel evasive at all. This vehicle was a true pleasure to drive and I didn't have any real gripes about it. I does not have the full-view type sunroof but I can live without that.

Thanks for keeping up with me thus far, I am posting all of this just to solicit honest opinions and feedback from others regarding their "on-the-fence" decisions regarding the EXP. I'm hoping that others can help to provide their initial thoughts or feedback concerning their experiences with other 2014 models as well. Additionally, I am somewhat tempted to wait and see what 2015 brings but I'm a little worries about any potential issues that may surface with newly reinvented models as well.

Last but not least, if anyone can think of other vehicles that would compare (give and take) to our EXP, please let me know. I'm about 70% on the fence for getting a 2014 model but I just want to think everything through first.

Thanks in advance for reading this long-winded thread and I welcome everyone's feedback and advice.

Thanks!

Newbie!

:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How was the Jeep interior quality?

I would hope that its as tough as they show it going through the river and up the hill spitting gravel all the way...

Also the 3rd row access in the cars you tried?
Any that were power 2nd row or power fold to access 3rd row?
Any power 3rd row?
Any full size 2nd row?

As you can see from here, the 2014's still have issues and no LED accents which are in demand now...

Hi LukerDooker

Thanks for responding and I'm actually glad that you mentioned that. Some of the models did not have the third row (i.e. Jeep, BMW, MB), but for the ones that did have this, the QX was power folding, and MDX was not power folding but it has a power-assisted sliding 3rd row access feature. Also, my EXP has the bucket seats with console, so I kind of prefer that. The MDX did not offer buckets; nor did the Jeep, BMW, or MB...only the Infiniti offered bucket seats for the second row.

The Jeep's interior was quite nice. I believe that it was the "Perforated Natura Plus Leather" and it has the really nice fabric suede headliner too? I really haven't used the third row seats much so I am a little indifferent about them to be honest.

Also, just as a word of precaution, I loaded something into my third row with the seats folded down and when I climbed in to retrieve the item, my knee went through the floor (back of the folded down seat). I weigh a evenly distributed 190 lbs and I'm 6ft. I caught he$$ with the service department trying to get this fixed!

If I can land the third row, great... but if not, I think that I can live without it as well. The Jeep is a very nice machine I must say. I'm just suprised that FORD did not up the content for 2014 to compete a little better with the new exterior features of the rivals. LED's a very nice indeed!

Hi LukerDooker

Thanks for responding and I'm actually glad that you mentioned that. Some of the models did not have the third row (i.e. Jeep, BMW, MB), but for the ones that did have this, the QX was power folding, and MDX was not power folding but it has a power-assisted sliding 3rd row access feature. Also, my EXP has the bucket seats with console, so I kind of prefer that. The MDX did not offer buckets; nor did the Jeep, BMW, or MB...only the Infiniti offered bucket seats for the second row.

The Jeep's interior was quite nice. I believe that it was the "Perforated Natura Plus Leather" and it has the really nice fabric suede headliner too? I really haven't used the third row seats much so I am a little indifferent about them to be honest.

Also, just as a word of precaution, I loaded something into my third row with the seats folded down and when I climbed in to retrieve the item, my knee went through the floor (back of the folded down seat). I weigh a evenly distributed 190 lbs and I'm 6ft. I caught he$$ with the service department trying to get this fixed!

If I can land the third row, great... but if not, I think that I can live without it as well. The Jeep is a very nice machine I must say. I'm just suprised that FORD did not up the content for 2014 to compete a little better with the new exterior features of the rivals. LED's a very nice indeed!
Whether it is a fact or not, I have heard rumours that the 2015 may be a 'refreshed' model. I'm hoping that is true since my lease is up in March 2015.

Peter

Whether it is a fact or not, I have heard rumours that the 2015 may be a 'refreshed' model. I'm hoping that is true since my lease is up in March 2015.

Peter

Well... given that my miles are kind of high right now, it's gonna be a struggle keeping them below 36K by early next year. So to protect my trade-in value, I may have to purchase or lease a new vehicle by January/February time-frame. Tomorrow I am planning on test driving the Infiniti QX again just because it felt sooo right. Also, my Ford dealer has the new Sunset and Dark Side colors in stock that I plan to check out as well. I'm sure that it's driving the dealers crazy not to make an immediate sale, but I want to be sure this time around.

My preference is to buy and keep the next one so I want to be spot-on indeed!

Thanks!

For what it's worth.... We've had a 2012 loaded Limited since late summer 2011 and are just a week or so out from the delivery of our 2014 Sport.

We never had any MFT issues or any of the other problems that seem to plaque some. The third row was a must for us and we prefer to drive American, so their weren't that many options.

For a brief moment we considered the Durango RT. I had driven a non-RT Durago rental for a few weeks on a business trip. It had a nice interior and other than feeling extremely underpowered it drove really well for an SUV. While similarly powered to the Sport, the RT loses the performance and mileage battles and generally is blah looking compared to the EX. Also, it's allegedly near it's end of life. Who wants to have a car they stopped making the next year?

So for us, the Sport was a natural progression....

Some thoughts for you... You seem to switch up your cars up every two years or so.... As you move up in price, that hit your going to take driving off the lot is bound to get bigger. Also, is the QX80 really 75% nicer...? For me if the EX is even playing ball with cars in the $75k range, it's representing a pretty good value...

My 2 cents...

Ajar

Well... given that my miles are kind of high right now, it's gonna be a struggle keeping them below 36K by early next year. So to protect my trade-in value, I may have to purchase or lease a new vehicle by January/February time-frame. Tomorrow I am planning on test driving the Infiniti QX again just because it felt sooo right. Also, my Ford dealer has the new Sunset and Dark Side colors in stock that I plan to check out as well. I'm sure that it's driving the dealers crazy not to make an immediate sale, but I want to be sure this time around.

My preference is to buy and keep the next one so I want to be spot-on indeed!

Thanks!

I have seen 1 Sunset Ex and in the sunlight it looks amazing.

Buick Enclave

My wife and I recently took a hard look at the Enclave.

The Enclave has a more refined look than the EX and has LOTS more bling all around. More chrome on the outside, and a much more refined and plush interior. I felt it was more comfortable than the EX mainly due to the use of better materials and more leather and wood (simulated) used everywhere. But that's my subjective opinion... my wife also LOVED the look and feel of the Enclave.

HOWEVER - the technology built into the Enclave is seriously lacking. The in vehicle tech is very poorly done, IMHO. The main touch screen is a hodge podge of icons; the map display is really unclear to look at; the vehicle doesn't even have push button start. Feature for feature, the Enclave comes close to the EX but its how GM implemented the tech that we don't like.

The "display" (if you want to call it that) in the center instrument cluster is a little two line text unit that looks like it was transplanted from a 1992 vehicle. Lane departure warnings and cross traffic alerts are so poorly implemented that they might as well not even be there. I could go on and on about how bad the tech is in this car... the Buick salesman wouldn't even recognize the EX as a competitor... "Buick competes with Lexus, Infiniti, and other luxury brands" he says. Well, sir, you better check six because Ford is eating your lunch with their in vehicle tech, aggressive styling, and loaded out feature list on the Explorer Limited and Sport.

Verdict: We were VERY unimpressed with the Enclave's tech, to the point that it ruled out a purchase. Other SUV's don't look nice to my wife (the EX will be her car) So, 2014 Explorer Limited it is for us. :)

As Peter mentioned 2015 Model year is likely a refresh. Its more then a rumor.

You wont see the EcoBoost V6 in a Limited, I asked some people in the know at Ford and it isnt going to happen. What you might see is the 3.7L Lincoln show up as an option for a Limited Model in 2015. Its much different then the 3.5L in the Limited today.

Im like you I have the 13MY Limited with everything.

I ordered a 14 SPORT.

I love all the tech in the Limited but thought about how many times I used the Auto Park feature, which was almost never.

The Lane Keep and PowerFold 3rd row are things I used but decided they could be given up for the styling and power of the SPORT.

Ultimately its up to you if you can live without those 3 features that you will lose going to the SPORT, or not if you take a 14 Limited, then you gain heated 2nd row seats.

My wife and I recently took a hard look at the Enclave.

The Enclave has a more refined look than the EX and has LOTS more bling all around. More chrome on the outside, and a much more refined and plush interior. I felt it was more comfortable than the EX mainly due to the use of better materials and more leather and wood (simulated) used everywhere. But that's my subjective opinion... my wife also LOVED the look and feel of the Enclave.

HOWEVER - the technology built into the Enclave is seriously lacking. The in vehicle tech is very poorly done, IMHO. The main touch screen is a hodge podge of icons; the map display is really unclear to look at; the vehicle doesn't even have push button start. Feature for feature, the Enclave comes close to the EX but its how GM implemented the tech that we don't like.

The "display" (if you want to call it that) in the center instrument cluster is a little two line text unit that looks like it was transplanted from a 1992 vehicle. Lane departure warnings and cross traffic alerts are so poorly implemented that they might as well not even be there. I could go on and on about how bad the tech is in this car... the Buick salesman wouldn't even recognize the EX as a competitor... "Buick competes with Lexus, Infiniti, and other luxury brands" he says. Well, sir, you better check six because Ford is eating your lunch with their in vehicle tech, aggressive styling, and loaded out feature list on the Explorer Limited and Sport.

Verdict: We were VERY unimpressed with the Enclave's tech, to the point that it ruled out a purchase. Other SUV's don't look nice to my wife (the EX will be her car) So, 2014 Explorer Limited it is for us. :)

Thanks OKC Explorer... I did once love the Enclave but the lack of features kept me away from the vehicle. I love the restyle, but I'm just shocked they haven't added more in the tech department. =) I appreciate your feedback!!

As Peter mentioned 2015 Model year is likely a refresh. Its more then a rumor.

You wont see the EcoBoost V6 in a Limited, I asked some people in the know at Ford and it isnt going to happen. What you might see is the 3.7L Lincoln show up as an option for a Limited Model in 2015. Its much different then the 3.5L in the Limited today.

Im like you I have the 13MY Limited with everything.

I ordered a 14 SPORT.

I love all the tech in the Limited but thought about how many times I used the Auto Park feature, which was almost never.

The Lane Keep and PowerFold 3rd row are things I used but decided they could be given up for the styling and power of the SPORT.

Ultimately its up to you if you can live without those 3 features that you will lose going to the SPORT, or not if you take a 14 Limited, then you gain heated 2nd row seats.

Thanks for your inside track SGT1411!! Funny to hear about the features that you like and don't use as well. Ironically, I didn't care for the Auto Park feature but lately here in Columbus, I find the need to use this feature at least 2x a month. The lane keep feature is basically "FUN" but what I cannot live without... HID headlights! I swore that since my 2005 Pacifica Limited that I would never have a vehicle that did NOT have HID's again.

I love the sport but I like the HID's and the limited's luxury interior features. Although, I will tell you that I did happen to see the new Lincoln version SUV that will be a Luxo-twin to the Ford Escape on the road in Michigan a few weeks ago. Although camouflaged, I think that it's going to be a hit!

Thanks!

The Enclave has a more refined look than the EX and has LOTS more bling all around. More chrome on the outside, and a much more refined and plush interior. I felt it was more comfortable than the EX mainly due to the use of better materials and more leather and wood (simulated) used everywhere.

IMHO...all that chrome and so called "bling" makes it look awful gaudy and over-the-top (definition: too bright and heavily decorated)....
I wouldn't give it a second look just because of that (and the fact that it's made by GM)....

I forgot about the SPORT not having HID lights, I always confuse Auto-High beam headlamps when they put them across all models.

Why not install your own HID lights?

Lots on here have done this successfully.

I forgot about the SPORT not having HID lights, I always confuse Auto-High beam headlamps when they put them across all models.

Why not install your own HID lights?

Lots on here have done this successfully.

I've thought about that as well. I had one vehicle that had the aftermarket setup on it. Although I spent good $$$ on the kit, I continually had problems. I do believe that the OEM type stuff is essentially better, so I prefer to keep it stock if possible.

Although I must admit that I do like the Auto Beam function! My biggest fear is that I am spolied by the Limited package. Although I would pick up better performance with the Sport, I would still miss my Limited equipment. I know.. I know... stuck between a rock and a hard place!

:eek:

IMHO...all that chrome and so called "bling" makes it look awful gaudy and over-the-top (definition: too bright and heavily decorated)....
I wouldn't give it a second look just because of that (and the fact that it's made by GM)....

Hi HighCares...

Thanks for your insight.. I agree with you on the "bling" aspect of some vehicles. For some reason, Buick has executed the LED's better this time around for some of their vehicles. It almost rivals that of Audi's! The Acadia, Enclave, and a few others have very brilliant designs for exterior LED's and that's great. I saw the new Tahoe and Yukon with "manufacturer" plates and they are pretty hot looking as well. However, I'm a little afraid of the first model year glitches so I may pass from the GM brands.

While I must admit that I am not brand loyal, I typically shoot for the brands and models that have equipment and style that I can agree with. Born and raised off of GM and FORD money (my parents are now retired), they've always instilled in me that I need to buy whatever I feel is best for my money. If GM stepped up their game with the Enclave and loaded it with unique features, I would be on board to get one.. believe me! :)

I've thought about that as well. I had one vehicle that had the aftermarket setup on it. Although I spent good $$$ on the kit, I continually had problems. I do believe that the OEM type stuff is essentially better, so I prefer to keep it stock if possible.

Although I must admit that I do like the Auto Beam function! My biggest fear is that I am spolied by the Limited package. Although I would pick up better performance with the Sport, I would still miss my Limited equipment. I know.. I know... stuck between a rock and a hard place!

:eek:

I agree with you 100%, I had the exact same concerns about being too attached to the Explorer Limited features.

So I got Ford of Canada to loan me a SPORT for two weeks to see if I would miss those options while using it as a daily driver. Not only did I not miss them I drank a huge pitcher of the "EcoBoost KoolAid" so now that Im going through EcoBoost withdrawals I cant wait for the TT power again.

Plus I like the ride of the SPORT over the Limited, the aggressive EPAS tuning and 37% stiffer suspension makes the vehicle more of what I want compared to the Limited.

The black out details are also very appealing.

To each his/her own I guess.

I agree with you 100%, I had the exact same concerns about being too attached to the Explorer Limited features.

So I got Ford of Canada to loan me a SPORT for two weeks to see if I would miss those options while using it as a daily driver. Not only did I not miss them I drank a huge pitcher of the "EcoBoost KoolAid" so now that Im going through EcoBoost withdrawals I cant wait for the TT power again.

Plus I like the ride of the SPORT over the Limited, the aggressive EPAS tuning and 37% stiffer suspension makes the vehicle more of what I want compared to the Limited.

The black out details are also very appealing.

To each his/her own I guess.

Haha.. Good info.. trust me.. I've considered driving the SPORT but I've been subliminally resistant I guess. =( Time will tell I guess!

One useful tool that I have been doing is to download the owner manuals and quick reference guides for some of the vehicles that I am interested in. This helps me to see just how the features work and if I would like them. Currently (as I type), I have downloaded the 2014 Infiniti QX 80 manual and perusing through it to better understand how some of the driver aids work in comparison to the EXP. Also, I just found out that the QX doesn't have auto high beam, but it does have the adaptive headlamps! Ugh!!!

Haha.. Good info.. trust me.. I've considered driving the SPORT but I've been subliminally resistant I guess. =( Time will tell I guess!

One useful tool that I have been doing is to download the owner manuals and quick reference guides for some of the vehicles that I am interested in. This helps me to see just how the features work and if I would like them. Currently (as I type), I have downloaded the 2014 Infiniti QX 80 manual and perusing through it to better understand how some of the driver aids work in comparison to the EXP. Also, I just found out that the QX doesn't have auto high beam, but it does have the adaptive headlamps! Ugh!!!

I wish I had that kind of patience to read the manuals cover to cover. I get part way through then my ADHD kicks in and I have to look for a shiny object to follow for a while! LOL!

I wish I had that kind of patience to read the manuals cover to cover. I get part way through then my ADHD kicks in and I have to look for a shiny object to follow for a while! LOL!

Yep! The Infiniti's is 578 pages and I'm up to p. 182 right now! Lots of useful info.. for example, with the remote start, "Some systems, such as the air conditioner system, will turn on during a remote start, IF the system was on the last time the ignition switch was turned off!!" Ugh! Ford Explorer wins in that category for ADVANCED remote start features!

I highly recommend this to anyone who's searching for a new vehicle. Most time, the sales person will only tell you what they "think" which is sometimes not accurate. =)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok everyone! I did something DRASTIC... this was not in the script but based off of information that was brought to my attention by a friend, I decided to purchase a 2014 Chevy Volt fully loaded to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit and some other incentives!

I had been semi-looking for a second vehicle to tool around town in and save on gas. Since I'm still torn between a new Explorer or another SUV, I decided that it may be best to wait for 2015 (or the Detroit Auto Show) to see what newcomers have to offer -- including any potential changes on the explorer. Since my explorer had 28,500 miles on the odometer, I needed to do something soon since it's only a 2013.

After researching and a trip to CARMAX, sad to say that my $52,000 beast that was purchased 18 months ago came in around the $28,000 - $31,000 mark!!!! OMG.. Yes, I almost had a heart-attack on the spot. I figured that it would depreciate but geesh! So... I worked through the Chevy dealer (and some old-time friends of mine that still worked there) to get a whopping $31K for mine on trade....yes folks.. $31k. Given that I owed just about that on it, I was able to step into the $39,500 MSRP Volt with no negative equity. But with GM discount (my father is a retiree) and this other incentive from Chevy, the Volt dropped down to an astonishing $32,700.

Luckily, mine was a brand new 2014 unit that just came off the truck last week. It had 1.5 miles on it and plastic everywhere! While the Explorer will be missed (and not being able to sit up high), I think the Volt will help me (force me) to wait on 2015 and 2016 models. By then, the Volt will be paid off! Ideally, I loved the Infiniti SUV but the mere thought of spending $25K more than my explorer is somewhat hard to swallow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 2015 or 2016 will be first in its class again!

I must say, the Volt has been on my radar since birth but once you have one, it's truly an amazing experience. I've had it for a few days now and have 200 miles on the odometer. 2.3 gallons of gas has been used out of that 200 miles!! Isn't that amazing? Others have claimed 6 months before purchasing gas! I believe it!

Thanks everyone for being sooo receptive an accommodating to my questions on this board. If you all don't mind, I plan to keep my account so that I can "lurk" on this site every blue moon to see what potential updates or new changes are coming down the pike for Ford. Thanks everyone!

Back