Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3
Just a reminder to anyone 'sitting on the fence' that March 14th is the last day that orders will be accepted for the 2014 model year Explorers.

Peter

Apparently the deadline has been extended although I have not seen any specific info on this yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a reminder to anyone 'sitting on the fence' that March 14th is the last day that orders will be accepted for the 2014 model year Explorers.

Peter

Decision time for me. I think given the lack of changes from 2014 to 2015, that ordering a 2014 is smarter given the rebates in place ($2K) that likely won't be there for 2015's for a while. Have to say I'm leaning towards a nice used 2013 though - many black Sports out there for sale. I think $5K to $7K savings for a 2013 with less than 15K miles still covered by factory warranty.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on this thinking?

Of course after tomorrow, I'll be limited to only new 2015, dealer stock 2014 and of course used....

Decision time for me. I think given the lack of changes from 2014 to 2015, that ordering a 2014 is smarter given the rebates in place ($2K) that likely won't be there for 2015's for a while. Have to say I'm leaning towards a nice used 2013 though - many black Sports out there for sale. I think $5K to $7K savings for a 2013 with less than 15K miles still covered by factory warranty.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on this thinking?

Of course after tomorrow, I'll be limited to only new 2015, dealer stock 2014 and of course used....

if you can not be one of those that is bothered by having a new to you car that is almost 2 model years old, the best deal imo would be to get a 2013 with low miles like you want. honestly, i would just start searching for used 2014's, it wont be long and you will see used ones with around 10-15k miles.

if you can not be one of those that is bothered by having a new to you car that is almost 2 model years old, the best deal imo would be to get a 2013 with low miles like you want. honestly, i would just start searching for used 2014's, it wont be long and you will see used ones with around 10-15k miles.

I can do w/o the new car smell! I would rather let the original buyer take the depreciation hit. That said, 15K miles or less seems better. Good tip on the 2014's... Thx.

I can do w/o the new car smell! I would rather let the original buyer take the depreciation hit. That said, 15K miles or less seems better. Good tip on the 2014's... Thx.
I'll be turning my 2011 Limited back next March when the 4 year lease is up with probably no more than 15k miles on it. I'm at 10,875 miles now.;)

Peter

I'll be turning my 2011 Limited back next March when the 4 year lease is up with probably no more than 15k miles on it. I'm at 10,875 miles now.;)

Peter

That poor Explorer Peter! It just can not feel loved with that kind of mileage in 3 years.

Mine will be 3 in May and right now has a little over 29,000. My 2005 F150 does most of the rolling here and is sporting 118,000 miles. I also have a 2005 Mazda Tribute with 67,000 miles that feels no love. The Tribute does get 25 mpg though but has a very small fuel tank.

Whoever gets that Ex of yours will get a good one.

Peter

Glad to see Peter you just have broken it in.:thumbsup:

tinner

Glad to see Peter you just have broken it in.:thumbsup:

tinner
Yes, you just can't be too careful with the break-in period.:D

Peter

Yes, you just can't be too careful with the break-in period.:D

Peter

I think you are the first person I have seen who does oil changes because the months have reached the limit before the miles.

I think you are the first person I have seen who does oil changes because the months have reached the limit before the miles.
Since my last oil change on Oct. 30th, I've gone 1213 miles and oil life monitor is at 60%. Getting the wheels and oil changed March 27th. Today marks the 3rd anniversary of my 48 month lease.:)

Peter

2014 Sport Order

I have just been informed by my dealer that you can place an order for 2104 Explorer for another 3 weeks. The dealer verified it with a supervisor from our area office. Apparently 2015 order guides have not been released.

I have just been informed by my dealer that you can place an order for 2104 Explorer for another 3 weeks. The dealer verified it with a supervisor from our area office. Apparently 2015 order guides have not been released.

My dealer also confirmed this. I wonder why they did that... Gives me a little more time to see what might come up used for me.

After looking at @50 used ones, my observation is that Ford dealers really have high prices on their used ones - very close to new given the incentives in place and my dealer who sells below invoice. I have seen some more realistic priced Ex's from non-Ford dealers. They seem to sell quickly.

I too have considered purchasing a used Sport, but the prices that I have found are so high that it seems a new one is the way to go. At least I have a little more time to make a decision.

My dealer also confirmed this. I wonder why they did that... Gives me a little more time to see what might come up used for me.

After looking at @50 used ones, my observation is that Ford dealers really have high prices on their used ones - very close to new given the incentives in place and my dealer who sells below invoice. I have seen some more realistic priced Ex's from non-Ford dealers. They seem to sell quickly.
After my 4 year lease is up the buyout (residual) on mine will be $19,160 (CDN). I'm sure they will be asking quite a bit more for it on their lot since it will only have about 15k miles on it.
Not sure how that compares to U.S. used Explorer prices.

Peter

Yeah, I got my 2011 with 31k on it from from a non-Ford dealer. Got it for about $1,000 less than I could have negotiated at a Ford dealer and got them to also throw in a 1 year comprehensive extended warranty.

Overall the Ex's seem to have retained their value well. The MFT has gotten bad press and I thought that might hurt resale (I think the MFT is fine with the most recent update), you have some like mine that have the third row leak (fixed under warranty) but otherwise the engine and chassis are fine - unlike problems they had with the Escape where I needed major engine work, but thankfully on extended warranty.

While its personal preference and we are on the 4th year, I still think The Ex looks a lot better than its competitors. A lot of people like me wait until a car is a few years old, so there is probably good demand with Ex's coming off leases which keeps the price up there.

I think you will see the big drop in used EX's next year if there is a body refresh or even new model design. That's when you see used prices drop because they don't look like the new model.

Overall the Ex's seem to have retained their value well. The MFT has gotten bad press and I thought that might hurt resale (I think the MFT is fine with the most recent update), you have some like mine that have the third row leak (fixed under warranty) but otherwise the engine and chassis are fine - unlike problems they had with the Escape where I needed major engine work, but thankfully on extended warranty.

While its personal preference and we are on the 4th year, I still think The Ex looks a lot better than its competitors. A lot of people like me wait until a car is a few years old, so there is probably good demand with Ex's coming off leases which keeps the price up there.

I think you will see the big drop in used EX's next year if there is a body refresh or even new model design. That's when you see used prices drop because they don't look like the new model.

That makes sense, it seems as if value will drop some more towards May/June when the 2015's will start appearing and I would imagine Ford will increase the incentive on 2014's to move them. I have until end of June to find a used one or a couple of weeks to make the call on ordering new. Savings on a nice used 2013 with 10K to 15K miles vs. new 2014 right now seems to range from $5K to $6K. Buying used would make the justification easier to get a 2016 should I want to make that choice.

Well I will confirm or deny this deadline extension tomorrow as I'm placing my order March 17. There are so few 2014 Sports available at dealers in within 100 miles of northern Ohio that to get what I want I'm willing to pay for a brand new built to spec model as opposed to buying/finding a used one or new on a dealer lot.

I agree that if I just wanted a "Sport" I could have my pick and probably save about $4,000. However to get what I'm after is next to impossible to find so I'm willing to pay the premium. Let you know how the ordering goes. It'll be like Christmas in May when it gets delivered!

Well I will confirm or deny this deadline extension tomorrow as I'm placing my order March 17. There are so few 2014 Sports available at dealers in within 100 miles of northern Ohio that to get what I want I'm willing to pay for a brand new built to spec model as opposed to buying/finding a used one or new on a dealer lot.

I agree that if I just wanted a "Sport" I could have my pick and probably save about $4,000. However to get what I'm after is next to impossible to find so I'm willing to pay the premium. Let you know how the ordering goes. It'll be like Christmas in May when it gets delivered!

I think you're safe on the extension. I know another member here confirmed as did my dealer. Agree on the lack of Sports but if you're willing to travel there are many. I have found @50 in Black but only 20% of them have all the options I want - this is after ruling out the Siena inserts that I don't like. There's a fairly loaded one in Ohio but has bench seat and not the buckets you are looking for - if you're open to other colors, your selection widens.

Did you place your order?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That makes sense, it seems as if value will drop some more towards May/June when the 2015's will start appearing and I would imagine Ford will increase the incentive on 2014's to move them. I have until end of June to find a used one or a couple of weeks to make the call on ordering new. Savings on a nice used 2013 with 10K to 15K miles vs. new 2014 right now seems to range from $5K to $6K. Buying used would make the justification easier to get a 2016 should I want to make that choice.

Have a question... someone challenged me yesterday on my saying I was saving the drive off the lot depreciation by buying used. Given I tend to hold a car for @18 months (I know, bad habit), there would be two owners on CarFax (not sure that matters to people) and say I bought used with 15K to 20K miles, I would be selling/trading a vehicle with say 50K to 60K miles vs one that had 35K to 45K miles.

I bought my last vehicle - a VW Touareg at a $11k to $12K discount over new and it only had 11K miles. I sold it for a couple of grand less than I paid after a year and putting on 15K miles. I think that was a terrific used purchase.

It would appear that the best out there is [MENTION=234733]10[/MENTION]% less for used. I did find a CPO vehicle that is in that neighborhood and comes with the expanded CPO warranty. But... it's missing two options that I would have liked - Moonroof and Adaptive Cruise. The 10% difference is factoring in that new pricing didn't include either.

My challenger indicated that a 20% discount makes it much palatable but I'm not thinking the Sports are at that level at this point. Most are sold by Ford dealers who price them high. My VW was sold to me at a >20% discount over new by a non-VW dealer.

Any other theory's on this? Seems like I have 10 days or so to make up my mind on ordering a 2014 or continuing my search. I think I have ruled out a 2015 because it's @$2K more given less incentives and a price bump. Not seeing the advantage in the model year.

Back