Transfer case shaft sensor for 4x4 blinking light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case shaft sensor for 4x4 blinking light.

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
Transfer case shaft sensor for 4x4 blinking light " FIXED"

Can someone please post a picture of the upper sensor that is behind the shift motor on the transfer case. I changed my 4x4 module, but still getting the blinking 4x4 light. I want to swap out the sensors, but don't know what the top one is supposed to look like.

I went to Napa and they showed me a bunch of sensors that came of for my truck, but I had no idea which sensor belongs on the top half of the transfer case.

My truck is a 2002 4.0 xls. NOT AWD.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Vishant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont have a picture but you might want to check the ground wire for the electronic shift motor. They usually break and cause the 4wd high light to blink. hope this helps

I also had a bad ground on the shift motor. Got that repaired and the 4x4 works like a champ.

Thanks guys I will check the ground wire today.

let us know what you find

I unbolted the shift motor and tested it by selecting 4 low and the motor turned. So the motor is not seized or dead. I then took it and the upper (rear shaft sensor) and lower (front shaft sensor) out for a cleaning. I used my ultrasonic cleaner.
sensor.jpg

sesnor1.jpg

I put it all back together and reset everything with the battery unhooked for 10 minutes. BUT still nothing (4x4 light blinking.

I found the sensors online here:
http://www.autopartstomorrow.com
Shipped they are just over $103. It was cheaper than rockauto.com Rockauto would not match the price, plus wanted $8 for shipping two items that weigh nothing.

My zip code was good for free overnight from AutoPartsTomorrow, and I will have the sensors Wednesday.

Hopefully I can beat the snow. I will never make it up the hill to my daughters school if it snows.

I will post my results after I replace both sensors.

Ok also check the brown wire going into the transfer case. Should be under the tail shaft. When 4wd high is on the brown wire is suppose to have 12 volts of more at this wire. It is the wire used to activate the electronic clutch to engage 4wd. If that has no power that could be your prob also

Ok I will do that, thanks!

I have the new sensors already.
If the snow stop I will go work on the truck.

Scrath that last post the brown wire gets voltage as you drive gradually. Still check the wire to see if its broken. I take it the grnd wire was good?

Also that shift motor looks pretty beat, did you keep it connected and test it to see if it was turning

Also that shift motor looks pretty beat, did you keep it connected and test it to see if it was turning

Just superficial rust. It is solid with no real corrosion. The part that spins the shaft was very clean. It turned when I selected 4 low and back when I selected Auto.

Ok thanks for the update on the brown wire voltage. The ground wire was perfect. All the wires looked very good. The cleaner removed any debris or oxidation from the pins on the end of the wires.

Let me know if those sensors work out. Also you said you changed the module already? where did you get it from as I am now having similar issues lol. Maybe you wanna sell your old one?

Let me know if those sensors work out. Also you said you changed the module already? where did you get it from as I am now having similar issues lol. Maybe you wanna sell your old one?

Will try to install the sensors in the next day or two. The module I just took out was replaced by the dealer a while back. If the sensors work, then I know the module is good. Have to see if I can find the box and will let you know where the new module is from.

If all goes well, I would not mind selling it.

FIXED! 4x4 working

WORKING! No more flashing 4x4 light

Installed both new sensors. Everything seems to be working fine. Drove a around a bit on my snow and ice side streets. Giving it a little gas I could hear my front tires spin and pull me up some hilly areas. Just before the fix I could barely get my truck up my driveway, because the rear wheels would just spin on the ice and snow.

I believe now that the dealer never replaced my sensor. I bet they just cleaned and reinstalled it. I can't prove it, but just feel that is what they did.

I honestly do not know which sensor was bad of the two changed. I would say for something like this changing both sensors together is good practice, like changing a pair of brake bulbs at a time. It will also save you the hassle of going under the truck a second time.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

-V:thumbsup:

Still looking for a 4x4 module?

Unfortunately lol whats the part number and how much?

Unfortunately lol whats the part number and how much?

Where are you at with your truck and your 4x4 issue? send me link to your thread.

Here are the specs
4X4CM Explorer
Ford Part# 1L24-7H417-AK
Vendor# M799G
Motorola Model# 01SU152F10
Date CodeL 05046

Dealer put it in I think last year, maybe year and a half. Really can't remember to tell you the truth.

hmm let me think about the price. Don't worry, not looking for 100% recuperation since I bought a new one...lol

Im in longisland ny, just saw you used to be my neighbor. The last two letters are differeny than mine and i see you have the xls and i have the xlt. I wonder what the difference is? My problem is all my lights work as should. No blinking lights whatsoever. Even when i slip on ice 4wd light comes on but no 4wd. So i checked all wiring its either module or clutch in transfer case which im leaning towards but easier to change module lol

Hey guys I have the same symptoms as Victor (02 XLS Auto4wd) I crawled under it last night and measured the voltage on the brown wire .68vdc thought that was low but don’t know what its supposed to be though. Do any of you guys have any idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey jeff i checked on that wire to and thought it was low. Then i drove with it with the multimeter and saw it goes up as you drive. I believe thats what its suppose to do cause on the scanner the clutch goes to 100 percent as you drive and that is the wire for the clutch. Figured that would atleast help you out but doesnt help our situation unfortunately

Back