Traxda Leveling Kit Updates/Pictures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Traxda Leveling Kit Updates/Pictures

Jacob Linder

"Roadhouse" - Peter Griffin
Reaction score
City, State
Chickamauga, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' Explorer EB 4x4
Good early morning all,

A little over a week ago I finally collected all the supplies, and had the time to build onto my 06' Eddie Bauer with the Traxda Level Kit. Now, before anyone asks if it was by the book? No. Not even close. It was done at a buddy's house and only jacks were used (which made it a complete headache) We just ended up taking apart the whole front suspension just to make it quicker, and TRUST ME. It made it a lot faster rather than fighting parts hanging everywhere. While we were down there we went ahead and just replaced the bushing/sway bar links because there was a little squeaking (now there isn't!). Overall it's basically a strut replacement job considering you're only adding a spacer to the strut itself (I kept my stock struts for the time being). Not going to go into detail about what all we did and how it was finished. If you have questions fire away though. I'm here to help! ( ALL PICTURES ATTACHED AT BOTTOM, COMPUTER IS BEING DUMB)

Big thanks to [MENTION=260174]engineeering[/MENTION] for all the advice.

Links to all the supplies needed!
Traxda Leveling Kit- http://traxda.com/ford-lift-and-leveling-kits/ford-explorer/06-10-ford-explorer-2wd-4wd-sport-trac-mercury-mountaineer-front-and-rear-lift-kit-102010.html

BFGoodrich Mud-Terrains-http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM&partnum=575QR7MTAKM&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Aries Bull Bar-http://www.carparts.com/details/Aries/Bull_Bar/ARSB35-3005.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5Z63BRCLqqLtpc6dk7gBEiQA0OuhsLqjgc1bmCrFA-wIRbQ16ooyBMwhewAQDxEEacWEgfYaAjYS8P8HAQ&redirect=1

Aries Tail Light Guards-http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2010-FORD-EXPLORER-TAILLIGHT-GUARD-PROTECTORS-BLACK-POWDER-COAT-NEW-SET-/121409785264?fits=Year%3A2006%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AExplorer&hash=item1c44964db0:g:FxwAAOSwGvhT67QP&vxp=mtr

Once again everyone, thanks for the look. Any questions you might have i'll be more than happy to help!:usa:

IMAGES

Attachments

• exploder1.jpg
    exploder1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,136
  • exploder2.jpg
    exploder2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,071
  • exploder3.jpg
    exploder3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,104
  • exploder4.jpg
    exploder4.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,151
  • exploder5.jpg
    exploder5.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,119
  • exploder6.jpg
    exploder6.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,096
  • exploder7.jpg
    exploder7.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,133

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm getting tired of waiting to do this to my X. Only thing holding me back really is money for tires. I could not fathom the lift kit with my small stock tires (saw someone post a pic and it was awful! Lol)

I'm also planning on replacing everything while I'm down there, ball joints, end links, tie rod ends, etc.

How are your stock ball joints holding up? That's another reason, people say these kits put the ball joints at such an extreme angle they break left and right, so they order the ungodly expensive tubular UCA's that are like $600~.

Did you need any special tools for the installation? Any tips/tricks?

Just ordered mine and having them installed next week.

Same question as BrianDye... Do we need to replace the upper control arms if after we install this leveling kit?

Thanks!

Logan- You don't "need" them. Many members install the Traxda kit without it, but report ball joint failure way sooner than it should happen. One member recommended replacing them every year if you don't go with the BTF UCA's. This option is fine to me, I wouldn't care to replace them, as its not a terrible job, and they're only $28ish bucks a pop. (Hell, the whole OEM control arm WITH a Moog ball joint already installed is $40ish which is even easier)

I think just to ease my mind though, either way whether I decide to install the lift without the BTF's, ill eventually install them.

Im just asking around on how members installed theirs with or without the BTF's to see some real experiences.

Nothing needs to be replaced, HOWEVER. The ball joints do get stuck in an ungodly angle. I've had no issues with any of it this far.. But with any lift and stock suspension pieces things do get moved around. I still recommend this kit highly :)

Also sorry for the late reply, I've been in back woods for about a week

I'm thinking of replacing my shocks and struts at the same time as doing the lift. Do you think it would be easier to buy the kit and install it on the strut before switching the assemblies out? That's basically what you have todo, right, remove the strut/shock assembly, put the spacer on top and reinstall?

So it's literally like replacing a strut. All you have to do is take the strut out of the joint you bolt on the spacer(on the strut itself) like in the picture above and put it right back into place. The issues come after putting them in. You might have to do funky positions when rebolting most of your suspensopn because that strut is now pushing EVERYTHING up and out. If you're planning on doing this yourself at your house I suggest having more than one floor jack. Overall if you have the money to upgrade everything do it. Im upgrading sway bar and struts sometime this summer. I just need to find a garage with a lift in it I can use. Its a nice mod to have. It gives it a meaner look to it, especially with some mud terrain or all terrain tires.

14llsoi.jpg

I,just took this picture the other day. Respectively 3" taller with lift and depending on tires. I really like it

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I just ordered lower ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings and some other stuff from Rockauto, next week I'm going to order brake rotors and pads, week after that probably the monroe quick struts with the springs already installed ($100 rebate right now), week after that probably the lift, then after that hopefully the tires. I'm really hoping to find a score on Craigslist of some 5x4.5 wheels that fit with nice tires. Otherwise I'm really digging the 20" charger/challenger 5 spoke black wheels that pop up every once in awhile for like $400 with bad tires.

Also, are you running a spacer on your wheels? I thought one member reported that the lift really brought his wheels inward so he recommends spacers.

Are you going for a street look or off-road look? Because I'm not running spacers at all with my 255/75r17s . at full rotation it rubs a little bit that will be fixed with a little well grinding .

Wow that looks great for not having spacers. I'm definitely going for a more aggressive look. I'll probably order spacers though first because I want a little wider tire tire probably a 265 or maybe even 285 depending on what I find.

How do you like those BF tires? Just ordered my lift today, so i'm really trying to figure out what tire I want to go with. Not necessarily brand, but type. AT or Mud tire. I do a lot of highway driving, but am definitely planning on some good wheeling this year. In the future id love to mount some nice mud tires on the stock wheels and keep them in the garage, and have some beefy AT's on my other wheels, but those are just hopes and dreams right now lol

[MENTION=300151]Jacob Linder[/MENTION]

Looking great! Finally got to checking out your pics!!
... If you're eager to do more... I'm doing supercharger and gears on mine now so if you want any more tips on more mod stuff let me know. LOL.

ps. I like the nubby looking tires you opted for... mine are a bit more stock looking and I will reconsider ones like yours when I burn mine out :)

Looking good!

Two quick questions:
1) What made you go with Traxda over the spacers available from Truxx?
2) On Traxda's website, it asks if I want to add ANOTHER 1/2" by using "extra plates" - did you consider that? Why/why not?

Traxda is truxx.

Truxx made the kit before Traxda and I'm not sure what happened but it's made by Traxda now. Same label on the box and everything just the Traxda name.

Sweet, I'll go with Truxx since it's over $150 cheaper on their website LOL!

No their website is a rip off too, get it on Amazon or eBay. I think I paid $200 shipped or something like that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back