Tyre / Tire Pressure Monitor Malfunction | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tyre / Tire Pressure Monitor Malfunction

Aguy Quiar

Reaction score
City, State
Luanda
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, Explorer XLT
Hello!!!! Thanks for taking me in this big family :):)
I've just got my FORD EXPLORER XLT 2017 delivered (I haven't physically seen it since I am abroad, only pictures), however it has an alarm: TYRE PRESSURE MONITOR MALFUNCTION (picture attached).
I had asked the supplier to upgrade wheel size from 17 to 20".
Can you please help me to understand what this alarm is all about:
- Is it a case whereby the TPMS sensor is not installed on the new tyres or it is installed but just needs reset. Please provide guidance to the newbie.

Regards

tyre press malfunction.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
To answer the question you would have to know what the supplier did when changing the wheels. Did they transfer the OEM tire valves to the new wheels or did they install new ones? If they installed new ones, did they use the correct ones? The ones used in the 2016+ Explorers are different from the ones used in previous model years. It could also be that they did not do the programming after the wheels were put back on. It is a little difficult to diagnose the possible issue not knowing exactly what they did.

Peter

You should be able to reset the TPM.
There multiple youtube video on how to set the computer on the right mode then set TPM of each tire.
But if you just got them on, by the dealer/supplier, go back and ask them to complete the job or at lest check?
As Peter says: Either they did not put them on or did not reset them properly (or worst DOA sensors).
Note, on the upgrade request, they might have forgotten to charge for the TPM or request them.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
To answer the question you would have to know what the supplier did when changing the wheels. Did they transfer the OEM tire valves to the new wheels or did they install new ones? If they installed new ones, did they use the correct ones? The ones used in the 2016+ Explorers are different from the ones used in previous model years. It could also be that they did not do the programming after the wheels were put back on. It is a little difficult to diagnose the possible issue not knowing exactly what they did.

Peter
Thanks for you reply. I sent the query to the supplier and i'll wait for his reply. He´s proving to be not so responsive these days, hopefully he will come back to me soon...
In the meantime, just another piece of info, hopefully shed some more light: The person that drove the car reported that the alarm was not there in the beginning, it only came on after reaching +/- 100 km/hr...

You should be able to reset the TPM.
There multiple youtube video on how to set the computer on the right mode then set TPM of each tire.
But if you just got them on, by the dealer/supplier, go back and ask them to complete the job or at lest check?
As Peter says: Either they did not put them on or did not reset them properly (or worst DOA sensors).
Note, on the upgrade request, they might have forgotten to charge for the TPM or request them.
Thanks Biohazrus... Unfortunately the dealer is in another country... I will have a look at the youtube for some videos. Any specific video you could recommend?

It might just as simple as low air pressure in one of your Tyres. I am pretty sure on the 2017 you can see all the tyre pressures and then verify which one is low.

It might just as simple as low air pressure in one of your Tyres. I am pretty sure on the 2017 you can see all the tyre pressures and then verify which one is low.
I think that with the system malfunction that you likely won't be able to get to the display.

That's a system malfunction error, not a low tire pressure warning. If you go into the tire pressure menu, you should be able to see which tire/s are not reporting a pressure.

I have a 16 PIU with the 315 MHz system and put on some volvo wheels/tires that still have the volvo 413MHz sensors in them (I knew this upfront, but wasn't sure how the vehicle was going to react to it.). At first, I got the same error, but it went away after a day or so and all the tires were reporting 35 or 36 psi on the dash even though the tires were set to a different pressure. After a few days, the error returned. When I checked the display, it showed no pressure from one tire. That error went a way and a day or so later and then came back, but when I checked the display, it was a different tire that wasn't reporting. My vehicle has been doing this randomly for awhile, so I'm not sure exactly how smart the TPMS system really is and what it is really reading. Chances are you have one or more bad/incompatible sensors on your new wheels.

Anyway, you can access TPMS relearn by turning acc on, then turning hazards on and off 3-6 times until the horn honks and relearn appears on the IPC. You will need a TPMS tool to complete the relearn process (Ford TPMS19 or other) before it times out. If the system won't acknowledge the sensor for each tire, it is either bad/incompatible with your vehicle.

Ya, I had a low tire, and I was simple warn to check tire and read out (screen) shown 28pis on my rear passager, and guess what, found a screw in it...
Also don't have TPMS in my winter wheels and it just complain about not finding them.
So not sure regarding the Malfunction...
To reset, this should work:
  1. Push start button to tun on car, no brake pedal
  2. 3 time the hazard light
  3. Car will hunk (confirm the training mode)
  4. Deflate tire until car hunk again, meaning learning done.
  5. Repeat 5 for all 4 ti/yres.
  6. Refill air!
Guy started with front driver, not sure it changes anything.

Thank
Ya, I had a low tire, and I was simple warn to check tire and read out (screen) shown 28pis on my rear passager, and guess what, found a screw in it...
Also don't have TPMS in my winter wheels and it just complain about not finding them.
So not sure regarding the Malfunction...
To reset, this should work:
  1. Push start button to tun on car, no brake pedal
  2. 3 time the hazard light
  3. Car will hunk (confirm the training mode)
  4. Deflate tire until car hunk again, meaning learning done.
  5. Repeat 5 for all 4 ti/yres.
  6. Refill air!
Guy started with front driver, not sure it changes anything.

thanks!!! I will definitely try that and feedback

Thanks for you reply. I sent the query to the supplier and i'll wait for his reply. He´s proving to be not so responsive these days, hopefully he will come back to me soon...
In the meantime, just another piece of info, hopefully shed some more light: The person that drove the car reported that the alarm was not there in the beginning, it only came on after reaching +/- 100 km/hr...
Peter I have talked to the dealer and it seems that they did not install any sensor on the tires. Can you recommend a sensor (20" wheel) that would work fine with FORD and can be relearn with TPMS 19 transmitter.

I think some gm and other cars may accept the let air out of tires relearn method, but I have not had much luck with it the few times I tried it. Not to mention, you'd need access to an air compressor or similar to refill tires when done. Good luck if your using a portable inflator that is slow also. The tpms tools are usually $20 or less and make the job a lot easier. Just put it in relearn, walk around and click the tool by each tire until horn chirps and you're done after the last horn chirp. Well worth it.

TPMS should be installed. I got an extra set of rims and tires on my 2014 Sport and ordered the TPMS and reset tool from Amazon. cheap and they are good for about 8-10 years before the battery in them fails (non-replaceable). Look up instructions of how to set them. It is easier with two people and takes about ten minutes.

For doing it yourself, you can get a TPMS control donut style magnet (Amazon) to put on the valve stem first. It cancels any preset signal so the sensor can be set.

You may not need the tool according to this post; TPMS Relearning Tool for 2016 Explorer
I believe these are the ones you want. My invoice just shows TPMS*35* KIT - TPMS SENSOR. Kit - TPMS Sensor - Ford (TPMS-35-) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter
And this TPMS 35 kit fit the 2017 XLT Explorer (20" wheel) with no issues?, it just that I got a much more expensive recommendation (picture attached ) not sure if it is worth it, twice the price...
CARiD.com - Your Shopping Cart

Carid invoice.JPG

About the price I paid for set of four for 2014 Sport 20 inch rims. Make sure you get the correct year for the Explorer. Earlier ones that have rims with inner band on rim are less expensive, but may not work.

As per the website
About the price I paid for set of four for 2014 Sport 20 inch rims. Make sure you get the correct year for the Explorer. Earlier ones that have rims with inner band on rim are less expensive, but may not work.
carid.com lists it as being compatible with ford explorer XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I paid $342 for a set in 2016 through the dealer. I noticed the ones shown in the CariD picture are 433 MHz. I checked the features printout of my 2017 Platinum and it shows Tyre Pressure Sensors 315 MHz. I can't be sure but I think I recall someone saying that 433 MHz was used on export Explorers. Maybe someone can verify this.

Peter

Back