What All Season Tires are you Using? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What All Season Tires are you Using?

SLail

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT (MXV)
Hey guys, so I am finally on the road with my special wheelchair adapted '17 Explorer and I am soon going to replace the stock 18 inch rims along with the tires. It seems many of the users here are running 295/45/R20, but would you guys recommend any other tire sizes between 245 to 295mm?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not stay with what you have? That is the size all the electronic features such as ABS and Traction Control are set up for. The 295/45R20 is at the maximum diameter variance if 3%, 245/60-R18 vs 295/45-R20 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World That figure is the generally accepted maximum diameter variance compared to OEM. Keep in mind that a bigger tire equals more weight and will put more stress on brake and suspension components. Going with a 255/50R20 will give you a more acceptable 1.6% difference.
As for your thread title, are you looking for tire brands or tire sizes? The title and post don't seem to match. There is already a thread on tires; Time for tires

Peter

Why not stay with what you have? That is the size all the electronic features such as ABS and Traction Control are set up for. The 295/45R20 is at the maximum diameter variance if 3%, 245/60-R18 vs 295/45-R20 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World That figure is the generally accepted maximum diameter variance compared to OEM. Keep in mind that a bigger tire equals more weight and will put more stress on brake and suspension components. Going with a 255/50R20 will give you a more acceptable 1.6% difference.
As for your thread title, are you looking for tire brands or tire sizes? The title and post don't seem to match. There is already a thread on tires; Time for tires

Peter
This is super helpful! thanks peter, I am looking for brands and sizes, currently I am looking at Michelin, Continental and Yokohama. You are right about 295s pushing it. Also I'll take a look at the link for the tire thread. Just out of curiosity, what tires are you running?

I'm on the 20" OEM Hankook tires. For Winter I use 18" Bridgestone DMV-1 tires, the same ones I previously used on the 2014 MKT. I never drive enough to wear out the OEM tires during my lease. ;) The only other all season tires I've bought were Yokohama Parada Spec-X for my 2011 Ltd because I picked up early March and they had a more aggressive thread than the Hankooks which had a poor Winter rating. FYI, it looks like the new Aviator will be using the Continentals.

Peter

I'm on the 20" OEM Hankook tires. For Winter I use 18" Bridgestone DMV-1 tires, the same ones I previously used on the 2014 MKT. I never drive enough to wear out the OEM tires during my lease. ;) The only other all season tires I've bought were Yokohama Parada Spec-X for my 2011 Ltd because I picked up early March and they had a more aggressive thread than the Hankooks which had a poor Winter rating. FYI, it looks like the new Aviator will be using the Continentals.

When you were running the paradas what size did you use? I did a little bit of digging and it doesn’t seem like they carry them in 255/50/R20

When you were running the paradas what size did you use? I did a little bit of digging and it doesn’t seem like they carry them in 255/50/R20
I did get the 255/50R20 size. If I had to get a set of new tires today, I'd take a serious look at the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. I believe several members in that other thread (Time for Tires) bought them.

Peter

I did get the 255/50R20 size. If I had to get a set of new tires today, I'd take a serious look at the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. I believe several members in that other thread (Time for Tires) bought them.

Peter
Thanks so much for the help Peter, I had another question regarding tires, what is this I hear about "summer" tires for the explorer? From what I have read, this refers to 265/45/R20 tires? Is this true?

Thanks so much for the help Peter, I had another question regarding tires, what is this I hear about "summer" tires for the explorer? From what I have read, this refers to 265/45/R20 tires? Is this true?
Ford did offer Summer tires as an option on the Sport. I believe it was only for a couple years. Of course you can always buy a set. All Weather tires seem to be slowly replacing All Season tires since the latter are really only designed for 3 seasons.

Peter

Michelin gets my vote. Best tires I have owned.

I bought Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires to replace the OEM Hankooks when they wore out. GREAT tires! Will probably buy again when the time comes.

Please keep in mind that the OP in his initial post is asking about wheel/tires sizes, not brands.

Peter

Just switched over to Continental ExtremeContact DWS 295 45/RZ20 Tires. Handle superb in dry conditions and supposedly excellent in the rain. Can't wait to test them out.

DT6tSqWeQZyNeEf3oXQ9lg.jpg

Back