What do you think? Another Ford... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you think? Another Ford...

Soundguy01tx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
I called on a 1995 F150 today. Its an 4x2 XL, 5 spd with the 4.6L V6. Only 102,000 miles... he has replaced the clutch, redone the brakes, alternator, and battery within the past year. It also has a grille gaurd. They are asking $4000... What do you guys think? The KBB vale is $4090 so he is right on target... what would you do???
--bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get it. I had a 95 F-150 XL 4.9L straight 6, 5sp 2WD. I think that's what u mean. Mine was really bare bone's, it only had A/C cause there was a special and it was free the month my dad bought it. I got it when I was 16 and a half when it had 58,x.. mile's. I sold it when I got my Ex when it had 98.x.. miles. I really miss it, and regret getting rid of it. My dad bought it brand new and we NEVER had a problem w/ it. The straight six make's more torque than the 5.0 V8's. It was decently fast too if u know how to drive it right, I could take on V-6 Mustang's (I know it's a V-6, but beating any musting in a 6cyl truck deserve's bragging rights).

There were only two downside's to the truck. First is they have V8 displacement(300 cu in), so they get v8 gas mileage. The other bad thing is the front suspension, they have twin I-beam's, which are strong and have been around since the 1960's. There is just no way to adjust them, and they tend to droop in as the vehicle age's. The only way to fix that is to start replacing parts, front springs, shocks, bushings, etc. The next time u go look at it, park it on level ground and carefully inspect the front wheel's/suspension. If the top of the tire's are leaning toward the truck that mean's it has started sagging. Another way to check is if the inside tire is worn more than the outside. But if the truck has been taken care of and regularly greased it should be good.

They are VERY good strong trucks, just getting the front end properly fixed can get expensive. Still the truck is way worth it (the price isn't so bad if u just buy the parts and do it yourself), and those motor's go forever and have plenty of torque.

Oh yeah, if it has the 2.73 axle u can do 85mph at 2 grand :cool: .

what engine does it have? the 300 ci, 4.9 liter, I-6 or the 4.6 liter, 281 ci, V-8?

offer him $3750 and see if he goes for it... kbb is usually overpriced....

Definatly ask $3750, maybe $3500. I think that's what the trade in value I got for it was, traded it staight for a 2001 Artic Cat 300 4X4 :mad:

O yeah, if u have any question's ask me, if I don't know I can find out. I know a lot about those.

in 1995 the F-150 had either a 300 CID (4.9L) Inline 6, a 302 (5.0,4.9 depending on the source) V-8. or a 351 (5.8l) V-8. The 4.6 didn't show up till the new style in late '96.

My neighbor has an 88 F-150 with the 300 and the 5speed, he's got 120,000 on it and it'd been nearly totalled twice, he bent the front I beam where it said "Do not bend" :eek: He has no problems with it other than his son is no longer allowed to drive it since both wrecks he's been the one driving it.

sorry it is the 4.9 not 4.6... I confused get sometimes... Haha. Anyways, even though it is a solid truck and a sound deal, I think I am going to pass. I am going to hold out another year probably and save up some more $ and just get what I really want... A Montero Sport... yeah I know, its a mitsubishi, and its nowhere near offroad capable, but I dont care. I like it, and its what Ive wanted for a while... I feel like Id be selling myself short. However, if anyone is interested, the number on the truck is 281.992.4149 - located in Friendswood, Tx... near the South east side of Houston...
thanks for the input guys.
--bryan

Back