Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually just went on Tirerack.com and ordered a set of 18" winter wheels with TPMS that came to just over $1400 with rebates. I think I matched the OEM 20" wheels pretty well with 18" Anzio wheels. I like to try to keep the OEM look.

Attachments

• exp16_models_detailflip_20inchsport.jpg
    exp16_models_detailflip_20inchsport.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,434
  • an_spark_mba_pdpfull.jpg
    an_spark_mba_pdpfull.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 773

I actually just went on Tirerack.com and ordered a set of 18" winter wheels with TPMS that came to just over $1400 with rebates. I think I matched the OEM 20" wheels pretty well with 18" Anzio wheels. I like to try to keep the OEM look.

Wow, nice find!.

Hi everybody. Just wanted to share a few pics of my winter tires/wheels since I finally got them and installed them the day before our first snowfall. Apologies for the mud; went to pick up the Thanksgiving turkey and the turkey farm's parking lot was a mess.

5KFd0mE.jpg

lukLfJ7.jpg

I figured the "Matte Graphite Silver" wheels would show less salt than black and be more unique than plain silver, and 18" saved some cash of course. I really wanted the Interceptor wheels with OEM center caps, but even going to Canada to get them they would end up being much more $ and effort. So TireRack for the win. $1,504.28 including shipping plus TPMS. Not bad.

Anyone else have problems with the retaining rings for the hub centering caps? After getting the first wheel on with difficulty and the retaining ring for the second wheel popping off 5 to 10 times, I said screw it and left off retaining clips for the rest of the wheels. So far no problems, but I can't believe how easily those clips popped off. Either they're unnecessary or they should stay on better.

Thanks to everyone here for all the helpful info! :thumbsup:

Good find on the Anzio wheels. The Enkei (Performance) SVX also look very close to stock. TireRack has these in 18" (40mm offset) for $176 ea. I just installed a set with Blizzak DM-V2 in 255/60-18" to match OEM Sport tire width.

enkeiperf_svx_mba_pdpfull.jpg

Random pic found on the internet:
14117707284_2c76894eba_h.jpg

Got the wheels from tirerack.com today. I got them put on and trained the TPMS. The OEM wheels are a dark grey rather than the new ones which are black.

Attachments

• Wheels Close Up.jpg
    Wheels Close Up.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 922
  • Wheel Comparison.jpg
    Wheel Comparison.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,988
  • Full Side.jpg
    Full Side.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,267

Very nice Jason. Good looking wheels.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

My 15 Sport on Bridgestone 255/60/18 Blizzack DM-V2's, interceptor steelies with the cheaper center caps. I like the look, and some people actually hesitate at night when they see it.

I can tell you that the DM-V2's do not feel at all like winter tires. Very smooth with almost imperceptible road noise. They handle just like a regular tire would. In fact, due to the tall sidewalls, they ride nicer than the 20" Hankooks.

Those lower priced center caps are hanging on for dear life, in that they do not affix to the ribbed wheelnuts with any authority. One hit with a chunk of ice and they'll be gone. I'm going to apply a little touch of Permatex Ultra black to each tab on the cap and put them back on. I'll take a little acetone and degrease the nuts and caps first. Should do the trick, the stuff sticks very tenaciously to steel.

Bring on the storm...

My 15 Sport on Bridgestone 255/60/18 Blizzack DM-V2's, interceptor steelies with the cheaper center caps. I like the look, and some people actually hesitate at night when they see it.

I can tell you that the DM-V2's do not feel at all like winter tires. Very smooth with almost imperceptible road noise. They handle just like a regular tire would. In fact, due to the tall sidewalls, they ride nicer than the 20" Hankooks.

Those lower priced center caps are hanging on for dear life, in that they do not affix to the ribbed wheelnuts with any authority. One hit with a chunk of ice and they'll be gone. I'm going to apply a little touch of Permatex Ultra black to each tab on the cap and put them back on. I'll take a little acetone and degrease the nuts and caps first. Should do the trick, the stuff sticks very tenaciously to steel.

Bring on the storm...
Did you get the proper wheel lugnuts for those caps or did you use the original OEM ones. I bought a set of the special ones designed for the center cap and haven't had any issues with them after going through last Winter.

Peter

Yes, I got the correct Ford ribbed lugnuts. Good to know you had good luck with them. They seem quite, well, not so firmly attached on mine. It'd be so easy for anyone to pull them off as you can get easily your fingers behind them.

Without searching; I've heard that there is another cap (part# unknown) that actually fits flush to the wheel? Any info on those?

Cheers, Mark

Thanks to peterk9 again. Now I understand to add centre cap to Interceptor steel rims I need both lug nuts and caps:

Lug nuts: part # DG1Z1015A or DG1Z1012A, cost about $20 USD for each wheel
Centre cap: part # F87Z1130GB, cost about $35 to 45 USD for each wheel

So if I want to buy a new set then it would easily cost $220 USD or $300 CND. I probably will have to skip it for now.

Too rich for my blood right now, I settled a $8 can of green rust check for the spindles and axle nuts.

Yes, I got the correct Ford ribbed lugnuts. Good to know you had good luck with them. They seem quite, well, not so firmly attached on mine. It'd be so easy for anyone to pull them off as you can get easily your fingers behind them.

Without searching; I've heard that there is another cap (part# unknown) that actually fits flush to the wheel? Any info on those?

Cheers, Mark
I haven't actually looked into them but they are a full wheel cover that snaps onto the rim. Mush more $$ too. Here is a cropped picture from fordparts.com. You then likely can use the OEM wheel nuts.

Peter

Attachments

• Wheels.jpg
    Wheels.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 489

Yep, the other is the full wheel cover.
Cheers,

I haven't actually looked into them but they are a full wheel cover that snaps onto the rim. Mush more $$ too. Here is a cropped picture from fordparts.com. You then likely can use the OEM wheel nuts.

Peter

Hey Peter. I had a quote of $70 CND "my price" for centre caps alone + lugs and $100 per hub cap +lugs, you should have bought lottery tickets right after you bought your caps for $20.

** Sorry, I mentioned this in a prior post.

Hey Peter. I had a quote of $70 CND "my price" for centre caps alone + lugs and $100 per hub cap +lugs, you should have bought lottery tickets right after you bought your caps for $20.

** Sorry, I mentioned this in a prior post.
On the invoice they were listed as $23.54 and $20 my price. The lugs were $2.56 each. I believe the parts manager said he got the last box that the supplier had and that is why he was able to give me deal on the wheel nuts.

Peter

Put on my new snows yesterday. Around $1,650 from Tire Rack including TPMS sensors, mounting, etc, etc. 245/60 Blizzaks on 18x8" American Racing rims. +40mm offset:

Works for me.

The Dodge Charger 18" X 7.5" 5x115" (EDITED) steel Interceptor wheels also fit but the wheels have a larger hub center so they wont be hub centric if it matters but I had no vibrations when centered on the lug nuts. They sit about 3/8" out towards the fender more which causes no issues since I didn't like how most wheels sat inside the fender a little too much. I would recommend using center caps to keep water out of the hub area and almost any Crown Vic or other Explorer, Ranger center cap fits since the wheels have a deep dish look if you get the larger caps.

The diameter of the wheel studs are 1/2". Try to buy the 3/4" socket COLLARED lug nuts to retain the caps since the factory tire wrench will work on them and if you choose to buy the 03 up flat Crown Vic (some year Ranger also) caps, they only work with the 3/4" wrench lug nuts and NOT the 13/16" size.

You may want to paint the center caps black instead of leaving them shiny since you get really weird looks from people passing you :wavey:. I had 255/55/16" winter tires installed and is a really common size with the factory TPMS and everything works out well. The rims I found used for 100$, the caps and lug nuts were 50$ used from a Ranger.:D

First picture is of the style of wheels

Second picture is the larger socket lug nut (13/16" wrench size)

Third is smaller socket lug nut (3/4" wrench size)

Fourth is the large center cap

Fifth is smaller caps you have to use the 3/4" lug nut socket size

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,173
  • wheel2.jpg
    wheel2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 542
  • wheel3.jpg
    wheel3.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 611
  • wheel4.jpg
    wheel4.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 555
  • wheel5.jpg
    wheel5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 532

Those are the lugnuts (3/4) that I have on mine and as for the "weird looks" with the siny caps, I have not had any at all. In fact all the police vehicles around here and the ones I see on TV have the same setup that I have. No one has even asked about why the caps on a Lincoln have Ford stamped on them.:D

Peter

Attachments

• PA290305_001.JPG
    PA290305_001.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 569

The Dodge Charger 18" X 7.5" 5x114.3" steel Interceptor wheels also fit but the wheels have a larger hub center so they wont be hub centric if it matters but I had no vibrations when centered on the lug nuts. They sit about 3/8" out towards the fender more which causes no issues since I didn't like how most wheels sat inside the fender a little too much. I would recommend using center caps to keep water out of the hub area and almost any Crown Vic or other Explorer, Ranger center cap fits since the wheels have a deep dish look if you get the larger caps.

The diameter of the wheel studs are 1/2". Try to buy the 3/4" socket COLLARED lug nuts to retain the caps since the factory tire wrench will work on them and if you choose to buy the 03 up flat Crown Vic (some year Ranger also) caps, they only work with the 3/4" wrench lug nuts and NOT the 13/16" size.

You may want to paint the center caps black instead of leaving them shiny since you get really weird looks from people passing you :wavey:. I had 255/55/16" winter tires installed and is a really common size with the factory TPMS and everything works out well. The rims I found used for 100$, the caps and lug nuts were 50$ used from a Ranger.:D

First picture is of the style of wheels

Second picture is the larger socket lug nut (13/16" wrench size)

Third is smaller socket lug nut (3/4" wrench size)

Fourth is the large center cap

Fifth is smaller caps you have to use the 3/4" lug nut socket size

Dodge charger RWD have a +15 offset and are 5x115 bolt pattern. The bolt patterns will bolt up between the two, in fact when you buy wheels from places like discount tire, they will often interchange these two and you will be none the wiser. However, the offset is a bit different. You should still be able to bolt them up no problem. I believe the AWD version is a +38 offset but do not quote me on that.

I know my charger was +15 offset for certain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dodge charger RWD have a +15 offset and are 5x115 bolt pattern. The bolt patterns will bolt up between the two, in fact when you buy wheels from places like discount tire, they will often interchange these two and you will be none the wiser. However, the offset is a bit different. You should still be able to bolt them up no problem. I believe the AWD version is a +38 offset but do not quote me on that.

I know my charger was +15 offset for certain.

that's what I thought, that they were 5x115, they had a factory sticker that said 5x114.3 on them and tried to measure them but it was too close to tell, but they also said they were 8 or 8.5" wide on the decal which I know they're not, go Dodge :D

Back