Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

that's what I thought, that they were 5x115, they had a factory sticker that said 5x114.3 on them and tried to measure them but it was too close to tell, but they also said they were 8 or 8.5" wide on the decal which I know they're not, go Dodge :D

Yeah don't get me started on dodge. There's a reason my personal fleet are all blue ovals!

It could also be that dodge is moronic and they source their wheels from ford or the same manufacturer that makes the ford steelies and are too cheap to use the proper offset and patten. If true, that could open mopar up to some serious litigation. I wouldn't put it past them!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are made by Fumagalli in Brazil and were stamped 18x7.5 on the rim and stamped part number was 04895425AE with the Dodge emblem on them. On the inside it said 5x114.3 on the decal :dunno:

As I posted in a reply to your post in another thread, the 17" wheels I put on my Limited have a greater diameter difference (-1.66%) than yours (-1.55%) and I have never had an issue with the Nav system being off. This is the 3rd time I've had them on.

Peter

I'm at the dealer now for intermittent tracking problems. They are telling me that my Blizzak's are slightly different size than the stock 20" tires and are causing my issue. I'm using factory rims and just have snow's. Same tires as last year when I had no issues. This problem started with the last software update.

Make no sense to me. Anyone else being told this?

I can't see how a software update would affect the way the vehicle tracks. Especially if we are talking about the SYNC update.

Stock 20s are 255/50. What size blizzaks are you running?

I'm at the dealer now for intermittent tracking problems. They are telling me that my Blizzak's are slightly different size than the stock 20" tires and are causing my issue. I'm using factory rims and just have snow's. Same tires as last year when I had no issues. This problem started with the last software update.

Make no sense to me. Anyone else being told this?
jmr061 reported that in the 2016 model that there are a few program modules that have to be updated with the tire size that is being used. Unfortunately he wasn't able to say if the same applied to previous model years but it would make sense. This is if there is more than a slight difference in the diameter.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3483010&postcount=5

Peter

Stock 20s are 255/50. What size blizzaks are you running?

255/55 - Not much difference than stock. The service advisor came back out with a tech who showed me the Ford bulletin on this topic - sure enough it's what they say. He did say it should only happen if the Explorer had lost the GPS signal. They upgraded the firmware however - we'll see if the problem comes back.

255/55 - Not much difference than stock. The service advisor came back out with a tech who showed me the Ford bulletin on this topic - sure enough it's what they say. He did say it should only happen if the Explorer had lost the GPS signal. They upgraded the firmware however - we'll see if the problem comes back.
A 255/55R20 only exceeds the maximum diameter variance b 0.34%. In 1 mile it would travel 22.39 revolutions less than stock. Not sure if that should greatly affect the GPS.

Peter

Where did you get the interceptor wheels? Is 18" the only diameter available?

Where did you get the interceptor wheels? Is 18" the only diameter available?
I bought mine from my dealer. I didn't look for any other size since those will replace my 20" wheels for Winter.
Paid $88 (CDN) for them but they are about 3 times that price in the States.

Peter

Hi,

Just wondering if you put a new set of tpms on that rims? and if yes. may i know the brand pls? thanks

Also you do not need to program the TPMS sensors. After 30 km or so of driving they program themselves. Ask me how I know.

Sounds like you are spreading miss-information with the wheel sizes and TPMS sensor programming.

hi. does it need to be a 30KM continuous driving? i put my new set of wheels with new tpms and haven't program it yet. Thanks

You shouldn't have to do any programming. They should be picked up quick. The TPMS light never comes on when I switch my wheels out.

You shouldn't have to do any programming. They should be picked up quick. The TPMS light never comes on when I switch my wheels out.

Great. i dont have the low tire pressure message. Thanks for the info. guys dont waste your money having programmed your tpms. drive it first for around 30 to 40Km.

Just ordered a 2017 Explorer Platinum and want to get winter tires for it. With my '14 Escape Titanium I found a local kid selling his stock 17" wheels since he wanted to (*sigh*) get spinners. Kept the rims and TPMS sensors, flipped the tires on Kijiji, and bought new WS80s. Been happy. What size and year takeoffs should I be looking for if I want to aim for similar for the Explorer? Can the Platinum accommodate 18s? Found the more rubber makes for a nicer ride in the winter, and apparently a narrower tire is supposed to go through the snow with a tad less resistance. Plus it's just easier for me to change out a set of wheels when the snow flies than try to time beating the rest of Canada to the tire shop, which I'd have to do if I just stuck to swapping out the rubber on my stock rims. And I'd prefer to keep the stock look so don't want steelies or aftermarket, especially having ponied up as much as I have already for the Platinum, want to keep it looking factory. Thoughts?

Just ordered a 2017 Explorer Platinum and want to get winter tires for it. With my '14 Escape Titanium I found a local kid selling his stock 17" wheels since he wanted to (*sigh*) get spinners. Kept the rims and TPMS sensors, flipped the tires on Kijiji, and bought new WS80s. Been happy. What size and year takeoffs should I be looking for if I want to aim for similar for the Explorer? Can the Platinum accommodate 18s? Found the more rubber makes for a nicer ride in the winter, and apparently a narrower tire is supposed to go through the snow with a tad less resistance. Plus it's just easier for me to change out a set of wheels when the snow flies than try to time beating the rest of Canada to the tire shop, which I'd have to do if I just stuck to swapping out the rubber on my stock rims. And I'd prefer to keep the stock look so don't want steelies or aftermarket, especially having ponied up as much as I have already for the Platinum, want to keep it looking factory. Thoughts?
I doubt the 17" wheels will fit on the Platinum. The brake size was increased midway through the 2013 production cycle. The smallest that would fit would be the 18".
I run the 18" Interceptor steel wheels with Bridgestone DM-V1 tires on my MKT. Paid $88 a wheel. See post 486 for picture. These are the same wheels that the Police Interceptors and Utilities come with, so in a way they are "factory".

Peter

Blizzaks are the best out there.

I decided not to run winter wheels this year and have my old 17" winter wheels/tires for sale.

Settled on my winter wheels:
Ended up going with OEM 18s off a base Explorer (the stock painted aluminums) c/w TPMS, and will be mounting 245/60R18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 tires on them. Should be a nice and safe ride and still look good, considering we run winters up here about 4.5 - 5 months a year!
. . . Now all I have to do is wait for them to build the new Explorer I ordered. . .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Settled on my winter wheels:
Ended up going with OEM 18s off a base Explorer (the stock painted aluminums) c/w TPMS, and will be mounting 245/60R18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 tires on them. Should be a nice and safe ride and still look good, considering we run winters up here about 4.5 - 5 months a year!
. . . Now all I have to do is wait for them to build the new Explorer I ordered. . .
How long you been waiting? I'm on 5 weeks now waiting for a limited with tan leather

Back