Front axle for SAS...not another noob question | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front axle for SAS...not another noob question

Mine flexes that much with the sway bars connected :eek:
xflex2forposting6tr.jpg

Sorry, no pics of flexing with the sway bar discoed.

and here's (just for kicks) my cousin's XJ: Notice how the front end doesn't flex much at all:
dave1forposting0pz.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did this turn into a Solid vs. TTB vs. SLA discussion??

You wanna see flex. . I'll show ya flex :p

9" travel:
SANY0147.jpg

vs. 30"+
SANY0009.jpg

If I was up to date on my photo shop skills I'd take Jefe's pics and turn one into a TTB flexing halfway inbetween those two and post it :D

Sorry for hijacking the thread :rolleyes: :confused:

Where's 410fortune at to defend the TTB :confused:

In sand and snow, the Mickey Thompsons outpreform any TSL tire you can throw at it (asside from the TrXus, haven't seen it in action).

I know Thornbirds are quietor, but the tread doesn't last as long, and again, doesn't grip in the conditions I need it to. OBX sand is soft stuff, and it's always nice to make a few bucks pulling out the dumb yankess (no offense) that try to go 4-wheeling, but I don't need to be a tool again and get stuck myself (damn heavy ass F-250 on stock tires, definatly not made for sand).

Why the hell did you spend close to 8 grand on axles. Alot better to build your own and its alot cheaper. So how much lift you plan on running? When are you planning on being done with this whole project?

yosh18981898 said:
And FWIW, my TTB explorer out flexed my cousins' solid axle XJ (same wheel base as my explorer, according to the tape measure) on the ramp. :eek:

My Ranger TTB setup outflexes (on a 30* RTI ramp) most vehicles that are not radically modified. It gains a foot on my kid's XJ (5.5" lift on 33's), it passes up CJ's, TJ's, etc., until they go long arm or spring over with some major suspension work... That's not too bad in my estimation.

No, it's not a solid axle - but it's no IFS (like the 2nd gens with solidly mounted diffs) either. Becaue the differential moves WITH the axle - it behaves much more like the true solid axle trucks than the IFS trucks.

I'm getting around 20" of articulation on my Ranger - front and rear - and that is usable articulation. On trails where the true solid axle trucks are lifting the uphill tires off the ground, I'm drinking my coffee and wheeling on by... I rather like my TTB... :D

alkaline747trio said:
In sand and snow, the Mickey Thompsons outpreform any TSL tire you can throw at it (asside from the TrXus, haven't seen it in action).

I know Thornbirds are quietor, but the tread doesn't last as long, and again, doesn't grip in the conditions I need it to. OBX sand is soft stuff, and it's always nice to make a few bucks pulling out the dumb yankess (no offense) that try to go 4-wheeling, but I don't need to be a tool again and get stuck myself (damn heavy ass F-250 on stock tires, definatly not made for sand).

The mickeys my friend ran, were a joke in everything. Rain, dry, mud, dirt, sand, rocks and snow.

The knowledge comes from having every single male in my family being into lifted/big trucks and there being an unspoken competition on who comes up wiht the nices/biggest/best truck. My cousin, who is practically made of money, has spent over 60k on his f-150. I have grown up helping all my family lift or modify their trucks, so I've been into the sport/hobby for as long as I remember. Yes I can't drive (leagally, but going a mile down the road to ride at the farm doesn't hurt anyone), but by the time I get my liscense, I plan for the X to be finished so that i never have to worry about being carless.

About the tires, do you really hate the that much? I mean, the wet/mud preformance doesn't bother me, but the snow and dry (I'm pretty sure you said everything...) does. I haven't tested these tires on wet rocks, or in the snow...but the 36x13.5's on my dad's Z71 worked great on dry rocks and I know these tires kick ass in the sand.

But, considering that you seem to have driven on them more than I, and have used them in a little more of the terrain than I have with my father's truck, what would you suggest? I really want to go wide, draining air and re-pumping the tires back up is a pain even if you have a compressor, so I need something wide to float over the sand at the OBX. Also, I hate the "flop, flop, flop, ...." sound of most mud terrain tires. The Dick Cepek Fun Countries rode smooth and were quiet just as I wish for the tires I get to be, but they don't come in the width I would need at 35" tall. The MT Baja's look almost identical, but with more sidewall bite, to the FCs. Wouldn't that mean very similar preformance?

Sounds like a good start. It should be awesome when you get it finished. When you get your liscense?

August 2nd. I will have a better paying job this summer, so some more goodies might be in line, but right now I just need to solve this tire issue. Everyone keeps saying the Baja's are ****, why? I guess, give me a review to tell me why not to get them. You keep saying they suck, but where are suggestions for replacements?

Yea, I guess that can come later. I am having second thought, again, about how I should set up the SAS. I've been reading about and looking at the leaf sprung SFA's xplorers, and they seem to have spent less time swapping and fabbing than one would have to for a coil/radius arm setup. Are correct springs, shackles, mounts, and steering issues all I would have to do with a leaf sprung SFA? Steering issues seem to be lessened w/ leafs, and so do geometry/fabrication issues. Since I am dropping all of this money into the drive train, I figure I could save some for other goodies in the farther future if I went leaf.

Here's why they suck-

All the noise of a swamper. All the ride quality of a swamper. About the same price as a swamper. None of the offroad performance of a swamper. You've got a tire that is barely any better than a swamper on the street that doesnt even compare offroad.

Below 10mph the lugs slap the ground so hard they make the radio surround rattle (along with other dash parts). On the highway, they roar loudly. Now, not saying this isnt livable, but usually its only worth living with as a trade off for a tire that works great on the trail and/or great in the mud. The claws work okay on the trail.... about comparable to a BFG MT which is much nicer on the street. In the mud, they suck. All those lugs and they wont clean very well unless there is alot of water present. If there is enough water in the hole to clean them out, then its not mud anyway... its water.

Just my opinion.

The whole slapping the road and being loud thing has me dumbfounded. Looking at the tread pattern, they are practically identical to the Fun Countrys, but you make them sound like a total different tire. This is all kinda just hard to believe, but I really shouldn't worry about rubber now, I have a good 4 months estimated before rubber will be an issue.

no offense by this.. but you really need to do some research into stuff before attempting this. Some of the stuff you are asking is very newbie, especially for someone that plans to do a SAS. Use the search feature some on this site as well as on some other sites.. maybe Pirate. I know you say you know about this stuff already, but you don't appear to. Not trying to be rude.. just trying to get you to do some homework before diving in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the basics, and how to machine stuff, weld, install factory lift kits or put in stuff already made for me, I just like seeing a list of options and exactly what is needed for each. I am mostly searching about what I ask, but not knowing speciffically what I am looking for (yea, I guess I am a newb in a good bit of way, I admit it, but I am asking a few more indepth questions than teh average newb) and the search results showing everything in the world with what I need hidden way deep, I am having trouble getting what I need served on a platter. I am really trying to take the easy way out when I ask a question, I know the info is here somewhere, but why not just see if some nice, bored person will feed it to me.

I had everything down pat for a radius arm setup, but then I started seeing a few leaf sprung trucks and how much less welding and fabricating they had to do to make it work, it just made more questions pop into my head because of the multiple options of how to attack a SAS. I will try harder to search more in depth than to just ask for a spoonfed version from now on, lazyness has overwhelmed me, so what can I say?

Back