Oops, I did it again... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oops, I did it again...

My boss's nephew has had this poor, beat-up little '95 Sport for the longest time, just beating the crap out of it and trying to wheel with J**p friends who were obviously better set up for 4wheeling... two weeks ago it came in with a blown hub, bad upper and lower balljoints, bad tie rods, and some other issues. They saw $2600 worth of damage, I saw a candidate for an axle swap :D Since the little guy is only worth MAYBE $3,000 in current shape, the kid decided to junk it.

I couldn't pass it up :D In the next two weeks I'll be nabbing Snoborder's EB Dana44 and waggy leafs and making myself a mean little monster ;) I don't much like the 'green bean' look though, so as soon as I've got enough saved for a nifty Maaco paintjob, it's getting sprayed platinum grey with silver stripes! I plan on raiding Harry's and scoring some grey leather seats, fender flares and a manual t-case (maybe even make a doubler if I can squeeze in some more overtime).

What about Shelby you wonder...? Her fate is still undecided. She's still too nice to trash (I wouldn't do that to her anyway-Tank was a whole 'nother can of rust) and I haven't found myself crazy over the extra foot of wheelbase when trying to take sharp turns on the trail. No offense meant to you 4 door lovers, I just have a thing for 2 door second gens :D

1995 Sport 4.0 OHV
5 speed manual
P/w, p/l, no stereo yet
flattened out monoleafs
blown shocks
two bent up bumpers
screwed on passenger mirror
new Clutch
new idler pulley (after it suddenly just disappeared)
Looks an awful lot like Doug's first Explorer, that I carted to the crusher's after he wrecked it :eek:

Attachments

• 04-01-06_1644 (Small).jpg
    04-01-06_1644 (Small).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 3,692

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been hunting for inner axle seals for my 44 for a few days now and thought I'd share this with anyone also doing a rebuild, since it's kind of hard to find 22 year old replacement parts :p If you need the inner seals, the Spicer part # is 620257. This is also the same part for a 78-79 Bronco 44. I love my coworkers :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Or a National Seal #2300.

Well, my 8.8's completely rebuilt and regeared (Just have to put on the calipers/rotors/pads and run new brake line :)

The D44's FINALLY going to get re-geared on Monday (Tewey is quitting and hasn't had time to do it. For 4 weeks :p). Got the hubs, outer bearings/races, and leaf spring bushings yesterday, although after fighting with the first bushing for an hour to get it out I think I'm going to say 'the hell with it' and just leave the old ones in there since they're not too bad looking.

Oh, and Micah, this is just for you- IT WAS A 'HE', YOU ASS!!!!! ,,!, :D ,!,,
Aug1220061341.jpg

Spas said:
(Tewey is quitting and hasn't had time to do it.

:eek: You know what that means.. No more burnouts, brake stands, etc.. I don't think we want to see anymore damaged spider gears.

Sheeeit. I actually know how to take an 8.8 apart AND put it back together now, so nyah :p Same with the D44 :D

We had to grind down the center pin and notch two of the teeth for the 8.8 4.56's so the pin could slide through.

My buddy, 'Rambo' ;)
Aug1220061446.jpg

Spas said:
Oh, and Micah, this is just for you- IT WAS A 'HE', YOU ASS!!!!! ,,!, :D ,!,,
Aug1220061341.jpg

Bahahaha...hahaha..ha.

Well, im impressed, its finally coming together. And some more pictues of the 500 are demanded.

blowjobber88 said:
Bahahaha...hahaha..ha.

I swear ta Gawd I'ma beat the life outta you for that one.. especially since he heard you say it and fell off his chair laughing :p

sn0border88 said:
And some more pictues of the 500 are demanded.

Ask and ye shall recieve! (My boss specifically ordered our first one in black and grey stripes just to drive me nuts, and he keeps ordering grey stripes put on our black Gt's. I'ma choke him too! :confused: )

Aug1220061516.jpg

Spas said:
I swear ta Gawd I'ma beat the life outta you for that one.. especially since he heard you say it and fell off his chair laughing :p

Ask and ye shall recieve! (My boss specifically ordered our first one in black and grey stripes just to drive me nuts, and he keeps ordering grey stripes put on our black Gt's. I'ma choke him too! :confused: )

LOL.. I bet your going nuts seeing all these black & grey striped Fords..

Blee1099 said:
LOL.. I bet your going nuts seeing all these black & grey striped Fords..

Dude, they're freaking EVERYWHERE in and around Bel Air now!!! :confused: Blackjack's started a movement, lol. I wonder if there'll be a bunch of grey mustangs getting black stripes once Morgan gets painted :D

Making a bit more progress this week! The 44 is perfectly geared and set, and once I'm done grinding off 20+ years of crap it gets painted and then the new ball joints, bearings, seals, races and hubs go on. Painted both sets of leaf springs black and got all new bushings for the 8.8 set (Set me back $80 for the little fawkers! And I WORK for Ford!!! :fire: ). Porter's turning the rotors and sanding the pads in the next few days, so that puppy should be damn near ready to go once I score some new Ujoints! WOO! :bounce:

On a side note, I pulled Morgan's oil pan to fix the leaky gasket... not something you should try if you've never done it before and only have an hour to work on it. Btw, if anyone else is trying to get the pan off their 2nd gen OHV sport, there's a hidden 27Torx screw on the passenger side pry hole. I'm surprised I didn't bend the pan before I figured that one out :rolleyes: Surprisingly, his oil pan was fairly gunk free and the oil pickup was clean and shiny! Not what I was expecting from a truck whose ex-owner went 10,000 miles with out an oil change and then drove it, overheating, for 40 miles with no belt to get it here after the idler pulley fell off..! Oh, and the reason the front hubs are blown? The little guy somehow locked himself in 4 HI :eek: Sweet, I finally scored an Explorer that WANTS to wheel, lol. So I figured I'd make Rookie's life a lot easier and just remove the stock 4wd parts... I can't believe how puny that D35 IFS pig is!!

Aug2320061954.jpg

Aug2120061520.jpg

Left: wimpy wimpy wimpy! Right: Hefty hefty hefty!
Aug2120061521.jpg

I seem to be having a Micah moment... (Don't worry Rookie, I used a tiny little air grinder with nice soft little cookies. They work pretty well, but I've gone through over a dozen so far. I'm not gonna grind through the tubes like SOME people :D)
Aug2320061955.jpg

Hey slapass, I had to grind off the radius arm wedges. Not as easy as it looks. :p

I used a wirewheel and a sandblaster for the cleaning, I must say the sandblaster saved me hours of work.

Whoa whoa.. no one said an axle swap was going on in this thread! :p

Comin' along awesome, Spas! :D Now I'll continually stalk this thread too.

section525 said:
Whoa whoa.. no one said an axle swap was going on in this thread! :p

Comin' along awesome, Spas! :D Now I'll continually stalk this thread too.

Shhh! This is a stealth swap :D Actually, I figured I'd start a thread once it's all done and I have pretty pictures to show it off ;)

Micah.. Slapass?? :eek:

(HiJack on) Anybody worth their salt should know what this badge means :D :bounce: :D (/HiJack off)

Aug2520061304.jpg

Spas said:
(HiJack on) Anybody worth their salt should know what this badge means :D :bounce: :D (/HiJack off)

Aug2520061304.jpg

mmmmm 32 valves :D :D :D :D

with an electric eBay supercharger? :eek:

I can't believe they give you enough responsibility to let you sit or let alone drive one.. :D

Back