• Register Today It's free!

Well it did it again

Ynot2691

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer sport
A while back I posted about my neighbors 98 5.0 starter blowing the commutator. Brush holder and brushes to bits I checked out all the ancillary decides for problems and found none. I explained to her that these parts don't just explode like it did for no reason and being I can't duplicate it there is a real chance the failure will repeat itself at some point. I did tell her that the ignition switch is my bet as to what's going on. It worked fine so she elected to do nothing at the time. Then on Friday she calls me and says she was driving along and the starter started making a grinding noise. She shut it off and it would not restart. Pulled the starter and took off the end cover and same exact failure as before. Carnage. Commutator chowed. Brushes blown up. Then she asks me if I got a receipt for the used starter I got for them so they could warranty it. No warranty it was not it's fault it blew up. Being this vehicle only does this once every four to six weeks I probably will not duplicate it. Intermittent problems are the worst things to diagnose. I'm going to tell her to get a starter. Ignition switch and relay and cross my fingers even though there aren't a whole lot more parts involved in this debacle. Going to check flywheel now.

PXL_20230710_053703390.MP.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to be nitpicky, but if the problem vehicle is a '98, why is it in the '06-'10 section?

Either way, I'd be finding out the source of the issue rather than just keep throwing starters on it. Sounds like something is seriously amiss...

That's unreal. I've never seen such a shredded starter before.

I told you months ago it was an ignition circuit issue, and you insisted it wasn’t, and you found the real problem but refused to elaborate on what it was.

Again, you’ve got an ignition circuit issue.

@ThunderbirdSport I have... and @Ynot2691 has too. (I read the previous thread on this issue.)

You gonna chew up some more starters and break your neighbor's trust, or you gonna take @Mbrooks420 's suggestion this time?

I would probably replace the ignition switch, and the solenoid, and wire them to a push button for the start signal. You’d retain PATS and the keyed wheel.

not a bad idea introducing the push button would be smart

This could be coincidence, I would recommend an ignition switch and relay also. But....

I have had 2 different Ford vehicles exhibit a starter that would not stop cranking when key was released, fixed with a new starter.

50 percent chance the used starter was a hanging starter to begin with. Still, I would take no chances. New, not used, starter, relay and switch.

A while back I posted about my neighbors 98 5.0 starter blowing the commutator. Brush holder and brushes to bits I checked out all the ancillary decides for problems and found none. I explained to her that these parts don't just explode like it did for no reason and being I can't duplicate it there is a real chance the failure will repeat itself at some point. I did tell her that the ignition switch is my bet as to what's going on. It worked fine so she elected to do nothing at the time. Then on Friday she calls me and says she was driving along and the starter started making a grinding noise. She shut it off and it would not restart. Pulled the starter and took off the end cover and same exact failure as before. Carnage. Commutator chowed. Brushes blown up. Then she asks me if I got a receipt for the used starter I got for them so they could warranty it. No warranty it was not it's fault it blew up. Being this vehicle only does this once every four to six weeks I probably will not duplicate it. Intermittent problems are the worst things to diagnose. I'm going to tell her to get a starter. Ignition switch and relay and cross my fingers even though there aren't a whole lot more parts involved in this debacle. Going to check flywheel now.

View attachment 443731

I told them what parts they need. I'll put on whatever they get then wash my hands of it. some lame brain told them it needs to be shimmed so now they're all over that. They even said you tube said it needs a shim. Good have you tube fix your pile of crap. I've got way better things to do than worry about somebody else's junk. So cut it out with the
I told you months ago it was an ignition circuit issue, and you insisted it wasn’t, and you found the real problem but refused to elaborate on what it was.

Again, you’ve got an ignition circuit issue.
I ain't got ****. It's not my truck. I don't know why I waste my time on this lame ass forum dealing with a bunch of morons acting knowledgeable about some really ****ty vehicles. Adios. I'm out. Don't worry, im never coming here again.
F OFF!!!

Welp, bye then! If you don't regard our advice and then you can't fix the problem, sounds like our work here is done!

P.S. I also saw your 3rd thread started on this topic... In case you ever do come back, it's a lot easier to follow progress on a project if you stick to the same thread!

I told them what parts they need. I'll put on whatever they get then wash my hands of it. some lame brain told them it needs to be shimmed so now they're all over that. They even said you tube said it needs a shim. Good have you tube fix your pile of crap. I've got way better things to do than worry about somebody else's junk. So cut it out with the

I ain't got ****. It's not my truck. I don't know why I waste my time on this lame ass forum dealing with a bunch of morons acting knowledgeable about some really ****ty vehicles. Adios. I'm out. Don't worry, im never coming here again.
F OFF!!!

You’re still the one.

Talk to your doctor about Latuda for bipolar disorder.

Oh, and don’t let the door hit you on the ass.

beavis-butthead.gif

Sheesh.. Lmao.

"I ain't got ****" 100% accurate statement. Why be so mad.. If you're wrong you're wrong, no big deal. Being right or wrong doesn't make a problem disappear. It absolutely sounds like the starter is randomly engaging while the vehicle is in operation, which is what I'm gathering from everyone else's input plus what I can judge from what I've just read.

Maybe someone here can replicate what we suspect and is likely the cause of this problem, and show it as a beautiful example so if someone in the future has this issue (doubtful that will ever happen) one can simply direct them here. Anybody got a truck destined for scrap? Let's send it and whip out a camera lol.

I figured I’d be a peach and go help this fella out. We found the problem and it was UNBELIEVABLE. We found a one of a kind Ford WIRELESS starter. Prototype that had slipped out of the factory. They’ve been looking for it for years. They even flew us down to the Louisville Proving Grounds plant to deliver it.

We split a cool 100k. I’m taking his girlfriend to Atlantic City.

@Mbrooks420 You have all the fun, and tell all the best lies. I'm also curious as to how a one-of-a-kind prototype failed in the same way twice. Since this thread turned into a joke, why not come up with an explanation? You know, for posterity.

@Mbrooks420 You have all the fun, and tell all the best lies. I'm also curious as to how a one-of-a-kind prototype failed in the same way twice. Since this thread turned into a joke, why not come up with an explanation? You know, for posterity.
The explanation is there's lots of crack in Atlantic City. Just teeming with crack down there. The Atlantic City crackheads were hired by Ford, and created the Wireless Prototype Starter by sheer willpower alone, since most of them sold a majority of their posessions, in between selling catalytic converters and splatter-painting the interior of their GMC Yukons and clapped out F150s on 20" rims. You haven't head of that? I guess you're not local enough.. Hate it down here. brooks wants to take OP's GF there to show him where they finally found it after searching for years. Clout or whatever. Pff.

This is also similar to the guy that stated he was cleaning the inside of his 94 explorer and found a black box in the trunk behind a panel that allowed programmable OBD2 functions. He states ford offered him $2,500 for it back and was about to enjoy a trip to Vegas. No pictures were ever posted and the guy never responded when we called him out.

This is also similar to the guy that stated he was cleaning the inside of his 94 explorer and found a black box in the trunk behind a panel that allowed programmable OBD2 functions. He states ford offered him $2,500 for it back and was about to enjoy a trip to Vegas. No pictures were ever posted and the guy never responded when we called him out.
This IS that guy….

But be forewarned. He’s NOT the one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This IS that guy….

But be forewarned. He’s NOT the one.
Have fun in Atlantic city. A statement like that could leave a bad taste in his mouth.

Back