• Register Today It's free!

5.0 rear suspension

'00XLT5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Wylie, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT 5.0
Was looking up stuff on my Ford Service DVD and noticed for the 5.0 rear suspension it listed Anit-wind up bars on the 5.0. These look similar to tubular "traction bars" above and parallel to the rear springs. The issue is my 2000 does not have these. Mine does have the 3rd rear "shock" located laterally and it is not shown on the DVD. Was this a change that was made and the antiwind up bars reamoved and the shock added? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your truck should have the control arms, they are not above the spring.
Look at your frame in front of your rear tires and you can see where they mount.
Every 95-01 5.0L truck I have ever seen have these.

I'll look again and try to take some pics when the wife gets home with it.

See the red bar?
Mine was painted ( and undercoating dripped on) but you should have one right there. Route the lines bhind it by removing that front bolt, so you can run them around behind, or zip tie them real good to it.

Looks like something going on with my leaf spring eh? better check that.

Attachments

• bar.jpg
    bar.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 451

Pics

Here are the pictures.
driver's side

passenger side

Would love to hear from other's that own a 2000-2001 with the 5.0 to see if they have the bars or not.

weird! Is this 2wd? If so that may be why

My 2wd had them. Weird. Maybe you got a new frame some time ago. :D

Then someone pulled a real good one as I am the original owner and it has not been serviced other than a recall and a rear wiper motor. :smoke:

And yes it is a 2wd.

Wow
This is real weird here, I would look into it further.

I can't see where they designed anything to replace it, look, the holes are there, unused. Are they covered with paint?

The passenger side look like there was something there at one time.

does the rear axle have the mounts for them?

Trust me there was NEVER anything there, unless removed at the dealer prior to delivery to me. That would be VERY unlikely. No signs of any mounts any where.

I am stumped.

So far I have yet to see anyone with a 2000 or later model weigh in on this. I still have to wonder if this on one of Ford's cost cutting measures. You know eliminate items that customes are not likely to miss.

Maybe they ran out that day or your truck was slated to be a V6?

Mine's got 'em.

Attachments

• Picture 177.jpg
    Picture 177.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 840

That is strange.... my 01 had them, I took them for the lift though. Do you have the mounts on top of the axle? If it bothers you not having them, I can probably send you mine with the frame mounted brackets, though I haven't noticed any difference without them. That could have something to do with my added stiffness in the rear leaf pack though.

Very odd. How is the bracket attached to the axle? Is it welded or attached via the u-bolts?

Welded

if your truck got a new 8.8 at some point, maybe they were removed?
I have seen Ford do some strange things before that is for sure!

Nope NEVER been in for any real service other than a recall and a rear wiper motor. They were NEVER there. Not sure why though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just a goof I would guess or some tech at the dealer said I want those.
Does the rear axle have the welded on tabs?

Back