side door trim removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

side door trim removal

reserved50

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport Exploder
whats the best way besides just peeling it off and warping it, I want to save it, are there holes under the trim or all smooth on the sheet metal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you mean the exterrior trim.

There is a right and wrong way to remove that trim. If you dont care about the paint then just use a putty knife.

Other wise lift in a flat manner. No folding or bending. Takes a some work but no biggie.

are there holes on the door under it?i was thinking of using the wire used to remove windshields etc

Body side molding strips???
Very strong fishing line will get under the glue--there are no holes underneath.

use your thumb to rub excess glue off---a leather glove works good.

there are no holes on my 2000

alright, some lazy shop painted around the trim, its peeling and the clears chipping, hopefully I can just sand and reclear without touching the base coat. Any pictures with the trim removed?
Im adding a Limited front bumper, XL rocker trim(removed step boards) and color matching the rear bumper along with Limited 1/4 trim, billet grille, clear corners etc etc:D

Any pictures with the trim removed?

How is this ?

door.jpg

nice paint job, love the mural lol:D , I meant like 3/4 shots if anyone has them from a regular standing position, just trying to figure out on a burgundy truck if the side trim removal would give it a sleeker look and enhance the appearance(now that I know no holes to fill), or should I keep the trim to avoid door dings:(, if the trim doesnt stand out. I'm removing the pinstriping for sure and having mirrors,A, B and C pillars color matched , any opinions on the trim?

Disregard the dirt and crap on the second pic... but this will give you an idea. I think it looks way better without the molding.

XTerminator1-1.jpg

SideMolding.jpg

hmmm, I have the same color but the bottom of mine is Toreador? red also. How did you remove the pin stripes, just peel or use a heat gun etc? When you removed the V8AWD fender badge are you able to reuse them or do they have a tin foil backing and they wrinkle up?

My pin stripes came off really easy. I used a blow dryer, but it wasn't totally necessary. I'm guessing it will vary from vehicle to vehicle though, so you might not be as lucky.

Since yours is a '97, your badges on the rear hatch will leave holes. I'm not sure about the fender badges... are they the square ones? All of mine were held on with double sided tape... they were individual letters/numbers.

Back