tonymac's 97 XL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tonymac's 97 XL

Hey guys,
I've only posted on the forums a few times, but I've found a lot of help on here over the last year and a half since I got my nearly broken-down Ford explorer with 117,000 miles on it. Since then, I've learned how to work on cars in general (with lots of help from here), and have been upgrading my poor old Ford.

It started out looking like this (Well, I added that chipgaurd to the bottom...)
PICT0034.jpg

After blowing an intake manifold gasket and cracking the heads (Gasket blowing yielded cracked heads, was on the interstate), had it slammed into by a trans-sport van. (New rear driver's side door, that guy needed a new van. I actually had to pull part of his bumper out of my tire and get it remounted.)

Now looked like this:
4.jpg

Now, after getting tired of chasing my friend in his lifted Toyota through the mud on my tiny little tires, and the acid-rain stained grill, it looks like this:
PICT00021.jpg

I have a pushbar I need to modify a bit, and some stuff to get another 2" from the suspension, then I'm calling it good. It is, after all, my daily driver.

I'm hoping to do a manual swap, since my 5R55E has 139k on it, and has never acted right .

This is a 1997 Explorer XL with the OHV V6 and 4wd. I've got the limited-slip 3.73 rear end, 5 speed auto.

I spend equal periods of time in Elkhart, Indiana and Flint, Michigan because of school. My email address tonymac32 {at that site known as} hotmail.com

nice x tonymac

Back