fusion213's SAS thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fusion213's SAS thread

Well, since we finally have a year break between deployments to Iraq, i'm going to be starting my SAS on my Explorer.

What it's going to consist of is a HP D44 with chromoly shafts, ctm u-joints, 4.88s. Coil sprung with cage radius arms. The rear end is going to go SOA and the superior super 88 kit is going to be installed.

I was going to install the jeep 208 with ford 208 input installed as the transfercase but seeing the ease of installing the bw4406, i think i'm going to go that route.

I ordered the tires and wheels and i'm getting 37x12.50 BFG MT KM2s and beadlock wheels from beadlock specialities.

I'm going to need some suggestions on what to use as the steering box because i've got a 79 4x4 steering box that needs to get rebuilt... or maybe i should run the toyota IFS box? I'm going the hydraulic assist route if money permits.

I bought a 91 4x4 explorer sport for 1000 bucks to drive as i'm doing this swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Those wheels are purty.

the 4 bolt hole pattern for the driveshaft coming off of the rear of the t-case.

looking good btw!

good stuff another one.
subscribing.

by the time I do my sas it won't even be cool any more

the 4 bolt hole pattern for the driveshaft coming off of the rear of the t-case.

looking good btw!

My BW4404(AWD T-case) had a four bolt output flange similar to the flange on the 8.8's.

**update**

Since my last post, i've installed the BW4406 t-case. The super 88 kit has been installed.
I've cut off all the brackets and welded in a crossmember to the front.
Tomorrow i'm going to hopefully have the SOA done in the rear and do the axle placement and hopefully bolt in the radius arm brackets.
For the steering i'm going to be running a toy IFS box, ram assist steering and chevy tres.
Pictures on the progress tomorrow.

Pictures

Here are the parts that were removed:
mtnofparts.jpg

Here's a shot of the crossmember that I welded in. It's made out of 2x4x1/4" rectangular tubing. You could hear me screaming when the molten metal burned through my coveralls.
crossmember.jpg

Here's shots of the front end and both sides.
frntclose.jpg

front7.jpg

dside.jpg

pside.jpg

I WAS going to work on it today but it's raining. I haven't bolted in the radius arm brackets to the frame yet, seeing where it'll be ride height wise. Also seeing if the stock track bar mount on the axle would interfere with the tie rod and how to do my steering. If anyone wants some of those parts in that pile and you live near jacksonville, nc. Just come by and take what you want.

What branch of the MIlitary are you in?

I got a good buddy in JVille, NC thats in the CG that wheels alot, we got a Big ride coming up in June

Marines.
I hope this is done soon but we've got so many 2-3 week long deployments and then our 7 month tour coming up it looks like it's only going to get harder and harder to work on it.
Is the big ride tellico?

no,

Its a week long endurance ride covering areas in the south....5 days in mobile and 3 days in Gardendale, a ride scheduled every day for 8 days straight....

Anyways, Greg lives in JVille and has a 4-runner on 40's, you may see him around

http://www.lockitupoffroad.net/gregmile.htm

DSC00055.jpg

what size coils you running, the cage ra's are basa$$

They're 5.5" coils.

Subscribing looking good so far nice to see another brother in arms on here

damn yea i definately looks bad! i used stock rad arms and brackets for mine

I've been gone for 6 weeks out of the last two months so I didn't have a lot of time to work, but the time I did have, I worked my ass off on this thing.
The axle is in, brackets all welded in, made a panhard bar, did the steering, installed the ifs box. Pretty much I just need to continue bleeding the hydraulic ram for the steering, get my extended expedition driveshaft, and install my new borgeson shaft and u-joint.
I'm leaving for another deployment at the end of the month so i'm just getting it to the point where it'll drive, but unfortunately won't have a front shaft. I also sold the 37s and went to 39.5" iroks.
I'll have pictures tomorrow.

Looks nice! What's up with the angled coils?

Five months and counting.... Let's go, let's go! (Coming from the guy who is two years and counting :p: ).

I'd like to see some pics of the IFS box. Does it only fit because of your body lift? Or would it be usable without it?

Finally!

It's drivable! I put something similar to equal in the tires, I had to put in ANOTHER power steering pump because the rebuilt unit I got didn't build any pressure. Had my ram hoses backwards... that could've been bad, hah. My xmsn mount was trashed, there's a little metal bar that keeps the drivetrain from ****ing up too much, well... it was ripped off so it tore the mount in half. Pretty nice up to 70mph(I think, my speedo is really off now).
Here's some pictures:

Attachments

• exprear.JPG
    exprear.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 337
  • expside.JPG
    expside.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 347
  • expfrnt.JPG
    expfrnt.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 366

Five months and counting.... Let's go, let's go! (Coming from the guy who is two years and counting :p: ).

I'd like to see some pics of the IFS box. Does it only fit because of your body lift? Or would it be usable without it?

The problem I have with the IFS yota box is that the forward most bolt barely has any clearance from the radiator hose, I cut a nut in half and cut the bolt down just so I'd have maximum clearance.
High steer stuff... definately caused more problems than anything, since my axle is cut down 6", I barely had any real estate to fit stuff. Honestly, I wish I went full width on the front. I also got my expy d/s extended three inches to accomodate moving the rear axle back about an inch and the SOA, i'm going to be ordering a new d/s because instead of replacing the whole piece of tube, they just welded in a three inch section of tube.

Back