fusion213's SAS thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fusion213's SAS thread

Well, since we finally have a year break between deployments to Iraq, i'm going to be starting my SAS on my Explorer.

What it's going to consist of is a HP D44 with chromoly shafts, ctm u-joints, 4.88s. Coil sprung with cage radius arms. The rear end is going to go SOA and the superior super 88 kit is going to be installed.

I was going to install the jeep 208 with ford 208 input installed as the transfercase but seeing the ease of installing the bw4406, i think i'm going to go that route.

I ordered the tires and wheels and i'm getting 37x12.50 BFG MT KM2s and beadlock wheels from beadlock specialities.

I'm going to need some suggestions on what to use as the steering box because i've got a 79 4x4 steering box that needs to get rebuilt... or maybe i should run the toyota IFS box? I'm going the hydraulic assist route if money permits.

I bought a 91 4x4 explorer sport for 1000 bucks to drive as i'm doing this swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whoa that things a beast!! looks good :thumbsup:

WAY too tall for my tastes, but it looks like you did a good job on it.

Some steering line information I found was that the late model ford pumps use a different 16mm on the high pressure side of it. I bought an adapter from Lee Power Steering in california which seals it off and uses an aluminum washer instead of the teflon ring to seal it. The fittings on the toyota ifs box are 16mmx1.5 IF on the pressure side and 17mmx1.5 IF on the low pressure side. I bought the adapters and hoses from PSC motorsports and put the hoses together myself, it was pretty easy and leak free.

The problem I have with the IFS yota box is that the forward most bolt barely has any clearance from the radiator hose, I cut a nut in half and cut the bolt down just so I'd have maximum clearance.
High steer stuff... definately caused more problems than anything, since my axle is cut down 6", I barely had any real estate to fit stuff. Honestly, I wish I went full width on the front. I also got my expy d/s extended three inches to accomodate moving the rear axle back about an inch and the SOA, i'm going to be ordering a new d/s because instead of replacing the whole piece of tube, they just welded in a three inch section of tube.

I need some pictures of the yota box- I've begun my SAS finally and want to see what I'm getting myself into.

Track(panhard) bar mounts also please?

I need some pictures of the yota box- I've begun my SAS finally and want to see what I'm getting myself into.

Track(panhard) bar mounts also please?

I'll post them up tomorrow.

Have you finished this? I was looking forward to seeing how it turned out.

More pics of steering box and trac bar setup would be good if you have them. I am doing very similar swap to mine.

It worked pretty well and handles at least 90mph. I'm going over to a three link front and one tons because I popped a chromoly front shaft and a chromoly rear shaft.

Back