Tool and sub box idea what yall think. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tool and sub box idea what yall think.

redneck21

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sport
I been thinking of a tool for the back and this is what i came up with. This is juts a ruff idea right now still need to take all the stuff out of my X to take measurements. On the shelves i was going to get a cargo net and cut it to size instead off a door also im going to line line the tool box with fome and get the plastic things you can screw down to hold ever thing in place. I only what to take up about 1/2 the back with the seats up. If anyone has and input feel free to give it.

toolbox.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Neat idea. When you finish it show some pics and if you dont mind share the measurements. I thought of making something similar but without the speakers.

When building this, you should stop by an RV supply store, or maybe a boating supply. Both should have latches designed for cabinets in moving vehicles and things such non-slip shelf liners to keep things from bouncing around. You'll probably find some other neat ideas as well.

i was looking into an idea on how to keep them from vibrate to much. Line the bottom with a layer of foam then cut the out line of each tool then have a cover that would fold down on top with foam on that to. Kinda like a gun case. The side door one will hold the jack and luge wrench road side emergence stuff, the other will hold my come along, road and off road side emergence stuff. Im going to cover it with a wood grain vinyl or something like that since i found my X name Project Jellystone.

toolbox-1.jpg

Good point on the pluck and pull foam. If you have sub-enclosures in the same box, those tools will rattle like anything if they aren't held securely. Same goes for any doors or drawers.

I'm going to pull out the 2 kickers i have now to see what kind they car and what space i need for a sealed box. If i was going to buy new ones the shallow mount would be really good idea. But im poor so im stuck with the 10s

Well i now know i going to have to have the sub box on top. I was looking in the audio section to see if anyone built a box that i can get idea's from. this is what i found.

uhhh heres mine im still in the works... only have 150 watts goin to each sub for now hopefully gonna get a better amp by thanksgiving that is 2000 watts to put enough into each sub.... but yeah

here are the subs i have now
IMG_3486.jpg

here are my OLD ones but with the lights i have in the box...
IMG_3477-1.jpg

So im going to build the sub box on top no room on the sides and have a shelf like one of those truck boxes. Im going to get all the measurements tomorrow and get a blue print up.

Well i now know i going to have to have the sub box on top. I was looking in the audio section to see if anyone built a box that i can get idea's from. this is what i found.

So im going to build the sub box on top no room on the sides and have a shelf like one of those truck boxes. Im going to get all the measurements tomorrow and get a blue print up.

what if yo built the sub box how it's pictured above, but build the toolbox as a platform along the floor that pulls out the back.. you could store a lot more, but also be able to haul stuff. like exactly how the pictures are, but like a 4 inch drawer along the bottom?

wow some serious dejavu right now! I was pondering the idea of a sub tool box the past few days but i guess you beat me to the punch :D
The only problem i see is how to keep the tools from shifting around and rattling all the time

Ya i know what you mean im going to hate it if i spend all that time trying to get it just right for the main reason(keep tool nice and neat) to be the one thing it doesn't do. Ill try the foam+the plastic tool cady and i hope that does the trick. any way got bored can't sleep so i went out and got a few of them measurements the best i could with junk back thear. This is how i think i will be doing it with 2 doors on the side 2 shelves the roll out tool draw and the sup box on top.

sup-toolbox.jpg

sup-toolbox2.jpg

main thing to watch out for is to make sure the sub box has the proper room for whatever sub you're going to be running. like depth/width/length wise.

other then that, as long as it's built good and strong, looks like it can be pretty cool.

but that's what i would do, focus on building the sub box first, and the tool box second. cause if you build teh sub box first, all you hav eto do then it attach it to the top.

It's a cool idea-
I would think the tools would vibrate like crazy and ruin the music though.

lots of ratteling going on...

I don't think the rattling will be to much of a problem. The tool kit i have now is right next to the 15 i have now and one other side had a 3 gallon bucket with just a bunch of loose tools throw in it. With all that i don't hear the rattling till i turn it up. So will all the loose stuff gone foam I don't think i will hear it to much.

I'm doing to have to do a redesign on it. did a moke up with 2x4 and not really any room for doors and the shelves. SO what i got is a slide out tool box that will fit between the wheel humps and a sup box that will go on top. Any one got any input as what will be good. Just one big space with a fold down door or what.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back