Need Advice on Supercharging | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice on Supercharging

Anyone have any experience on supercharging the 5.0L? After all the intake and exhaust work I have done and and tuned by Henson Performance (Thanks
James) my little motor still strains to push 2 plus tons down the road. I guess I should clarify that once I'm up to speed it perfoms great. The engine is strong and the truck will go faster then I care to(again thanks to James at Henson Performance for removing the speed limiter). I'm just looking for more power off the line(Damn Civics) and supercharging seems to me to be the best option. I don't want to tear into the engine (thats for another day). So I thought I would ask you all about doing this. I have been researching and can pick up an Eaton M90(rebuilt) for a decent price but the question I have is since I have the internal EGR is this an option? I have seen the one (weiand?) on explorerexpress and it wont work with the internal EGR and there is no way I could afford the $3800.00 anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it's raining again today. So much for the forecast. I did receive my fuel pump and air intake adapters today.
Still need an air intake filter. Looking for a cone style filter. Size shouldnt be an issue. Just needs to fit my 90MM MAF.
I was wondering how restrictive an air filter is. I've heard the Amsoils are very good but on my application I am looking for one the allows the engine to breath efficiently even under boost, with one that will capture all the fine particles. I heard the K&N's are to porous but flow well.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Look at the Amsoil universal EA filter page. Check out the dimensions and choose between those with the diameter of your air filter/MAF adapter. My adapter is 4.5" for the filter, I just bought a sheet of 3/16" ABS to make an air cleaner box.

Thought I would post a couple pics of my intake setup. Not a big fan of the dryer hose, but eventually when I get it installed, I can take measurements for an aluminum pipe. Also a pic of the air filter That came with the S/C and the Amsoil filter.
If and when the weather (rain) lets up I can actually get some things installed.

Attachments

• dcp_0625.jpg
    dcp_0625.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 429
  • dcp_0627.jpg
    dcp_0627.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 427

Very good, a nice big filter.

Here is the GM 3 Bar MAP sensor as I am told it should be mounted (vacuum nipple down) next to the Livewire. The LC-1 wideband I have'nt got yet. Anyway, thanks to rocket, I have a wiring diagram to hook everything up to the Livewire. Just need to get off my butt and do it.
I may initially run without the wideband for a while, after it,s tuned, do to lack of funds. But I will be getting one for sure.
At the rate I'm going I may have it before I get the install done. I guess I'll find out what I can acccomplish here in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• dcp_0629.jpg
    dcp_0629.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 410

The hose centered between the engine oil fill cap and windshield wiper/ coolant reservoir, is that an a/c line? For the supercharger install it would be nice to have it out of the way, but I dont want to evacuate the a/c system.

I dont know how to draw on a picture yet or I would point an arrow at it. Never the less, I may be able to work around it. Just one more obstacle in my way.

Attachments

• dcp_0616.jpg
    dcp_0616.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 410

The hose centered between the engine oil fill cap and windshield wiper/ coolant reservoir, is that an a/c line? For the supercharger install it would be nice to have it out of the way, but I dont want to evacuate the a/c system.
Yes, it is an A/C line and, yes, you can do the install without opening it.

Yes, it is an A/C line and, yes, you can do the install without opening it.

Very good.

I am really disappointed with the Powerdyne instructions. Repeated phone calls and e-mails have gone unanswered.

I had to re-engineer my intake system. It was to long to fit in the engine bay even if I could of figured out a way to relocate my windshield wiper reservoir, which I could'nt. Parts are ordered and on the way.

Thought my fan clutch wrench set I bought would be the ticket for any vehicle. I was wrong. None fit the explorer ( all are to big) so I think I will have to see about renting one.

It seems I am ill prepared for this project.

I will get it done. Just might not meet my June deadline. Oh well....

Are you using the wrench properly?

The BIG spanner wrench piece goes around the 4 BOLT HEADS holding the clutch to the water pump pulley....you may have the turn the waterpump (crank the motor a 90 deg.) a bit to get the wrench to fit just right on the bolt heads....

Then the other wrench turns the nut that goes from the fan to clutch. CAUTION: Some of the Fans are RH threads, while others are LH threads....look at your Fan shroud for which direction you need to turn the wrench.

Ryan

Are you using the wrench properly?

The BIG spanner wrench piece goes around the 4 BOLT HEADS holding the clutch to the water pump pulley....you may have the turn the waterpump (crank the motor a 90 deg.) a bit to get the wrench to fit just right on the bolt heads....

Then the other wrench turns the nut that goes from the fan to clutch. CAUTION: Some of the Fans are RH threads, while others are LH threads....look at your Fan shroud for which direction you need to turn the wrench.

Ryan

Im a mechanic, why would I use any tool properly?:) I did find that the large spanner wrenches ( I think it was 68MM) will fit across 2 adjacent bolt heads on the water pump pulley but not on the 2 bolt heads 180 degrees from each other. The wrenches with the handles are to large for the fan clutch nut, but I think I can get a crescent wrench in there. It is tight as far as room.
The fan clutch nut that came with the powerdyne kit is larger and thicker than the stock one so that will give me more room to work with. It is still smaller in diameter than the smallest wrench in the kit (wrench is 40 MM and nut is 37?) but I think I can shim the wrench to fit.

Attachments

• dcp_0630.jpg
    dcp_0630.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 383
  • dcp_0634.jpg
    dcp_0634.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 386

That is a nice variety of fan clutch tools. I'm not going to have any need for those, an electric fan is much better.

That is a nice variety of fan clutch tools. I'm not going to have any need for those, an electric fan is much better.

Im sure eveything you do to your truck(s) is better then everyone else. Understand I cant do every single upgrade at once. I already have a lot of work ahead of me. More in the future.... Front end rebuild, Transmission work,but one thing at a time. I dont have deep pockets. If I did I would take it to shop and and let them go wild.

I was trying to be sincere and nice to show admiration of the nice tools. I will have to rent the tool to get my fan clutch off. I have too much stuff and not enough room for more tools etc. Space is a premium and choices for new tools and parts is critical. I have been collecting tools for a long time, and I have just enough to do most things that I need.

I save money on my labor, paying anyone to do work for you is huge dollars. Regards,

I was trying to be sincere and nice to show admiration of the nice tools. I will have to rent the tool to get my fan clutch off. I have too much stuff and not enough room for more tools etc. Space is a premium and choices for new tools and parts is critical. I have been collecting tools for a long time, and I have just enough to do most things that I need.

I save money on my labor, paying anyone to do work for you is huge dollars. Regards,

Im not tyring to come off as an a$$hole. (Is this OK?)
I started this thread with the intention of fellow members giving me input and advice on a project I have never attempted before and have limited knowledge about.
20 years turning wrenches on commercial aircraft, I can do this. I dont have a manual that goes step by step, and thats why I rely on this forum. As far as Im concerned this is still a very active thread. I have'nt acheived my goal yet, and I will keep those interested up to date as I can.
I may not have the extensive tool collection of many, but I do what I can with what I got.
I also have space issues. My 2 car garage is full of my late mothers belongings which I am having a hard time dealing with. So I work on the Explorer outside weather permitting.

I know very little about the Explorer. Even after months of reading and research. For me hands on is the way to learn.

Above all, I do not want to offend anyone. I value this forum and thank everyone for their input. Keep it coming. Im just the student, every reply I get is one more thing learned.
CDW, I am with you. I do everything can so I dont have to pay a shop to do it. Somethings I just dont have that option or time.

zachow3 - You appear to be frustrated a little bit. It's understandable as I just went thru a pretty big install myself. If I can suggest one thing; don't put a deadline on this anymore. Things are going to come up and that'll frustrate the living tar out of you. It'll get done but don't force it too much if that makes any sense.

One day at a time.

I think those wrenches should work? And for those of you looking in, you'll turn the fan nut the opposite way to loosen, correct?

Zach, we're good, I often get off track like others. It's always a longer process than expected, plus the costs go up as well. I agree with Jake, try to not put a hard date for finishing.

Yes, I agree that I was a little optimistic with my timeframe. Sure would be nice to have the S/C up and running for the summer.
It's been an unusual weather year up here. It was in the 90's for a couple days in May and so far June has been cold and rainy. It's raining right now and in the 40's. Not typical for this time of year.
I would like to find a local Explorer group if there is one. Need to do some more homework on that.
I've decided not to do a pre install baseline dyno run. The truck will be dyno tuned after the install. My local SCT tuner sent me a form to fill out so they can send me a tune that will make the truck driveable so I can get down to their shop for the final dyno tune. $45 for the initial tune which is pro rated when I go down for the dyno tune. Seems like a good deal. Very friendly people and a nice facility.
I will post the dyno results when I get to that point. It's only a 2 wheel drive dyno so the results wont be accurate with my AWD, but at some point I will have it checked on an AWD dyno. Will have to travel aways to find one .

Just got done running a tank of Ethanol free gas through my truck. I have read and heard that the BTU output of pure gasoline ( in my case 92 octane) verses gasoline mixed with ethanol is fairly substantial. So my thinking was ethanol free gas would yield somewhat better power and fuel economy. I wasnt expecting dramatic gains of either. And I did'nt get them. Driving conservatively, With a mix of in town and freeway, I achieved exactly 14 MPG. I was just under 17MPG on my last trip to the coast, and that was loaded down with the wife, my 110lb golden retriever, all his food and toys and our luggage. Though more of that was on the open highway.
Those seem to be fairly typical number for city/highway, but I thought with my intake and exhaust mods I could do somewhat better.
Where will these numbers go with the supercharger, large MAF and injectors?
This would of course be based on Normal driving conditions, ie.. not foot to the floor.
As an everyday driver, the majority of the trucks time will be simple commuting. $4.52 a gallon (as of today) adds up quickly.

I know that what I am about to ask has been mentioned to a degree in this thread and I beleive some others I have come across. My parts situation for the S/C install is looking good. But I still have a few items to address. One is spark plugs and desired gap. I have been told to go one heat range colder than stock and gap them to .030 to .035. Does this sound about right? Also, replacing the stock thermostat with one 10 degrees colder?
The S/C is set up for 6lbs boost max . Not alot but thought I would ask.

Looks like late August before I can realistically get everything installed. I am taking a couple weeks vacation then, so I can do all the work without worrying about having to go anywhere with the truck down.

Back