Need Advice on Supercharging | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice on Supercharging

Anyone have any experience on supercharging the 5.0L? After all the intake and exhaust work I have done and and tuned by Henson Performance (Thanks
James) my little motor still strains to push 2 plus tons down the road. I guess I should clarify that once I'm up to speed it perfoms great. The engine is strong and the truck will go faster then I care to(again thanks to James at Henson Performance for removing the speed limiter). I'm just looking for more power off the line(Damn Civics) and supercharging seems to me to be the best option. I don't want to tear into the engine (thats for another day). So I thought I would ask you all about doing this. I have been researching and can pick up an Eaton M90(rebuilt) for a decent price but the question I have is since I have the internal EGR is this an option? I have seen the one (weiand?) on explorerexpress and it wont work with the internal EGR and there is no way I could afford the $3800.00 anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what meant, and yes I have those I can't use. I know they sent the pre 1998 TCC solenoid and possibly the shift solenoids. The EPC I'll have to check, in 1998 the connector changed, people alter the connector but they aren't high. I'll look at them shortly, I'm still deep into the drums on mine.

99% of Ford automatic trans issues are related to the valve body or accumulators and solenoids. Ford basically has lots of bugs in them, it's normal. The good part is that none of that requires trans removal or expensive work. It's just tedious work to do, and VB's are easy to make mistakes with. Just go slow and have the manuals to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what meant, and yes I have those I can't use. I know they sent the pre 1998 TCC solenoid and possibly the shift solenoids. The EPC I'll have to check, in 1998 the connector changed, people alter the connector but they aren't high. I'll look at them shortly, I'm still deep into the drums on mine.

99% of Ford automatic trans issues are related to the valve body or accumulators and solenoids. Ford basically has lots of bugs in them, it's normal. The good part is that none of that requires trans removal or expensive work. It's just tedious work to do, and VB's are easy to make mistakes with. Just go slow and have the manuals to do it.

Yes, when you get a chance, if you can determine your unused parts will work with my application, I would be very interested in taking them off your hands. I have never pulled a valve body but with all the info off this and other websites I feel confident I could do the job.
As a 20+ year aircraft mechanic I am no stranger to a wrench.
Basically I would like everything to be plug and play. I can repin connectors and other minor alterations but I dont have the equipment for anything to indepth.
Perhaps reprogramming could help out. I have a SCT Livewire but am reluctant to alter my tunes. There are many transmission parameters I can alter, but I dont feel comfortable doing that at this point.

You can do the work, the manual is the key to knowing what parts go where in a trans. Hunt the ATSG manual for a 4R70W, they have gone up I gather, around $35 now. I paid about $14 each for the ones I have. Keeping all the parts in place and not losing a tiny part like a retaining clip is the careful part. I'll get back with you shortly, I had a lot of things I chose not to use from my "high performance" kit. I bought it from Eagle with the TC as a good deal, then learned more about which clutches are best etc. Stuff happens.

You can do the work, the manual is the key to knowing what parts go where in a trans. Hunt the ATSG manual for a 4R70W, they have gone up I gather, around $35 now. I paid about $14 each for the ones I have. Keeping all the parts in place and not losing a tiny part like a retaining clip is the careful part. I'll get back with you shortly, I had a lot of things I chose not to use from my "high performance" kit. I bought it from Eagle with the TC as a good deal, then learned more about which clutches are best etc. Stuff happens.

Any news Don on VB parts? The kits I see for sale go well beyond a VB rebuild, and the cost reflects that. The ATSG manual can be had for under 30 bucks, though I havent got one yet.
And because I am lazy I posted a pic of the electric cutout motors I got off of Jegs. Seem to be decent quality and they included enough wire for 3 vehicles. Still debating where to mount the switch that activates them. I want it accesible but somewhat hidden too.
Got to thinking I didnt want these motors exposed to the winter weather, so I may wait till the drier months come along.
Anyway this is what I got...

Attachments

• 555-30833_1.jpg
    555-30833_1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 762

I did look at them, only the 1/2 shift solenoids are labeled, as 92-97 parts. Those you can use, but I didn't go back and see the difference in the connectors for the others.

The 1998+ models got new connector types, and the harness changed to match. You don't need to complicate your stuff by mixing the 98 style because it would require the rewiring of the trans harness to mate with the VB harness you would need.

The EPC and TCC solenoid I have extra both have male terminals, and so does my 1/2 solenoids for 98+ models. I need to go check my old 99 parts laying in the trans pan to see if they are the male or female connector style.

So after a lot of research and money I have been second guessing myself on superchargering verses turbocharging.
It seems that a bang for the buck, a turbo is the better way to go.
I still plan on running my powerdyne BD-11a initially at 6 PSI to see if it is enough for my wants. Why I would pick an Explorer for straight line performance is beyond me but I have all the big pieces ready to go (minus a wideband and other guages)
For what I have invested so far I could of done a turbo setup that probably would yield me better performance.
Oh well, live and learn.
To those who are not familiar with my setup plans...
I have a 96 302 AWD. Black and straight but needs TLC and a paint job. Current mods are TM Headers "smooth tube" p/n 9601-50-EX-0 with 2" ID collector exits into magnaflow 2 1/2" primary cats dumping into 2 Hi flow Spincat secondary cats and into a dual 2 1/2" in/single 2 1/2" out Flowmaster 40 Delta series muffler. All this exits out the stock talipipe location except its all 2 1/2".
Also running a MAC CAI and 1" phenolic intake spacer.
Tuning is with a livewire with thanks to James @ Hensonperformance.
Fuel is aided by a Walbro GSS340 in- tank fuel pump.

Now, what I have that still needs to be installed...
Powerdyne BD-11a centrifugal supercharger with 6 lb pulley. I have a 9 lb pulley too.
42 lb injectors with 90mm MAF intake and bypass valve. Enormous Amsoil airfilter which requires relocation of both coolant overflow and windshield washer tanks.
Baumann Pro valve body recalibration kit with pressure regulator valve and bypass clutch control valve.
Electric exhaust cutouts, which will replace my secondary cats.
This will all be installed on my high mileage stock block (171,000 miles).
Dyno tuning will be from a local SCT certified shop.

This has been a slow going project, but hopefully it will come together in March or April.:thumbsup:

I probably already mentioned this at some point in this thread, but if I post a pic of my truck from the outside, and your not impressed, its for a reason. This is my daily driver sleeper. Far from perfect but I do try to keep it clean. Stock wheels and tires. not raised or lowered. Just how it want it to be seen. If I lose a race to a $35,000 stock muscle car at least I will know mine is paid for and I hope I wouldnt lose by much.;)

It's coming together, that's the important thing.

Ryan said it well the other day about someone racing you in your Explorer.
...This is how I look at it....

'If you race me and I win....You just got beat by an EXPLORER!....If you race me and YOU win....Congratulations! You just beat an EXPLORER!...

I read this entire thread and was left hanging at the end! How about an update?

hahahahha...Yeah...the good thing about finding an old thread is that you usually get the whole story! I almost forgot about this one.

Old thread update....
Been running the Powerdyne now for a couple months. Besides lack of funds to dedicate to the truck, I have had some health issues which set me back. I still have a few things to work on but the truck runs strong. In the end I wish I would have gone turbo but im pretty happy with what I have. 8lbs of boost only gave me 337 wrhp on 92 octane fuel. Its not a record setter by any means but I can outrun the big turbo/diesels running around here. It runs and drives like a stock truck until you get up in rpm and build boost. Even then it doesn't sound modified(at least to me).
I need to keep it reliable for now. We had are first snow today. Not typical for my area. And my car doesn't like snow.
After the holidays, i.e. next year, I have plans to up the power and get to a track to see what it will do.
I really cant justify putting a whole lot more money in an 18 year old vehicle. So I will drive her till she drops and probably retire from Explorers.
I just hope that's not anytime soon;)

Oh, and by the way.......GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

So our cold spell ended.
With AWD and regular driving, I was surprised how docile it was in snow and ice. Probably more of a testament to my tires then anything.
Now its just rain so im back driving my car for mileage.
My plans are to upgrade a few things. Again with the holidays this wont happen this year.
My engine has 190k so I expect it wont last to long after this winter.
Cheap options are to run an 11 lb pulley and a 100 lb shot of nitrous and and of course a retune. Perhaps 500 HP before she blows and a trip down the the strip. With my fat ass I think 13's are possible.
Almost 7 years in my build. No way I can keep up with todays technology.
Cant afford a 50k vehicle and todays Explorers are not to my liking anyway.
Still a Ford guy, so maybe move on to a Mustang:)

Back