Paddle shift trans, Expedtion auto t-case? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paddle shift trans, Expedtion auto t-case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There were a lot of subtle wiring changes in 1997 or before the 98 models. My 99 Limited has a 93 rear clip(rear hatch), so I installed a harness from a 97 Explorer, plus the wiper motor(four wires). You should have little trouble using your existing 96 rear hatch harness. There is just a slight difference in how the main ground and another wire or two get into the hatch. The wire colors should all match for you, you just will need to make a minor change to the wiring up above the headliner at the back connectors. Use the extra 96 wiring to make the extra wires there.

I also need a different radio bezel for my V8, I have an extra part like yours from a 95/96. I think that the difference is just in the plastic label(2WD/Auto4WD).

Take care with the very long plastic rear wiper washer fluid tube. It runs from the front pump through the firewall and along the floor etc. I had two and one had a tiny crimp(leak) in the RR quarter panel.

I was gonna post the ones I took with my phone but they're horrible. I'll try to remember to take some with my digicam.

I didn't get to work on the trucks tonight. I have them in my shop at work and my fiancee wound up sick today so I went home early to take care of the kids so she could rest. Hopefully tommorrow I'll be back at it.

I really need to find my phone adapter so I can post some pics. I finally got back to the trucks tonight after several days of no time to work on them. I put one of the 31x10.5x15 Kumho Road Venture MT's on 15x8 wheels on for inspiration, looks really cool! I then proceeded to get the entire interior harness out of the '99 and realized I likely have to switch out chassis harnesses as well, ugh! Guess I'll be really good at removing and installing harnesses when I'm all done. I also worked on fixing the engine harness I cut part way through by accident, shouldn't be too hard as none of the wires are the same. I got the front of the '96 in the air tonight and then realized that I left my other two jackstands at home (trucks are at work) so I'll have to wait on pulling the driveline and rear axle until Sunday night since I'll be working at the house tommorrow.

Well I'm at a crossroads now. Turns out the '96 has a 3.55 open rearend and the '99 has a 3.73 limited slip. Since I'm gonna run 31's I definately want the 3.73's. Also the '96 sat for several years and the frame and parts of the underbody could use attention, on the otherhand the '99's frame is mint except where the front got wreck in front of the axle and I subsequently cut off to get to the engine. I'm thinking frame swap at this point. This would save me the work of swapping axles, chassis harness and fuel lines. It would also give me the chance to fix the rust damage under the '96 body and soda blast and paint the '99 frame. Anyone ever done a total body/frame swap? Should I start a new thread in a different forum? I got all the body mount bolts out of the '99 and tommorrow I'll start disconnecting the stuff up near the engine. At this point I figure I'll do some minor bodywork and repaint the truck as well.

How bad is the 99 frame? I built my 99 using my 93 rear clip, with all 99 wiring. I bought a lift to do the project, I saved maybe $1000 total versus trading up.

BTW, have you looked into the A4WD system at all for the 97-02 Expeditions etc? I ask because I just ran across a later switch from an 03+ truck. The 03+ switch can be fabricated into our Explorer bezel, unlike the large pre 03 Expedition switch.

I wonder how close the 4WD and TOD module may be for the pre 03 Expeditions. If they are identical or close, then the only real special wiring would be for the GEM module. I would be willing to try to separate the 4WD wiring from my Explorer GEM harness. Running that to a separate Expedition GEM, plus some isolating of shared wires, that could do it. Regards,

Attachments

• Projectthread001.JPG
    Projectthread001.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 170

I won't really know til I get the bodies off both trucks and do some measuring to make sure the '99 is square. I got all the body bolts out of both trucks so now it's just disconnect everything else and figure out how to lift the bodies with a forklift since I don't have a vehicle lift. I'm thinking weld up some sort of cradle or something. I have an '03 Expedition and I'm planning to get the wiring diagrams for it and both Explorers to see if what you suggest is possible. Swapping to the '99 frame means I'll lose the front disconnect but that's not that big of a deal. I'll likely save the front end of the '96 since theres a lot of new suspension parts and wheel bearings on it.

How difficult was your frame swap? Any things to look for, i.e. things I might not realize need disconnected?

As someone already mentioned (I think) use the standard GEM setup from the 99 Explorer to control the 44-06 out of the Expedition. Then, install a switch for the BWM to provide the 2wd, and a second switch to control the center-axle disconnect (although... why? It's a waste, and one more thing to fail, and very little mileage gain), and you'd be good to go.

As for the differences, as you've already discovered, they're numerous. You'll likely have to swap literally everything from the 99 over to get it to work. It's going to be a nightmare though... It's not going to be a plug-n-play setup by any stretch.

-Joe

Joe,

That's the plan, swap everything over so essentially all that will remain of the '96 is the body. I'm only toying with an independent '03 Expedition GEM to control the TC only which would give me 2WD, A4WD, 4HI, 4LOW. I likely won't do that and just go with a '99 V6 GEM and the BWM. I'm not gonna move the center axle disconnect over, too much work for not enough gain.

I'm almost done unhooking everything from the '99 body. Hopefully later in the week I can get the body off the frame and inspect/measure for alignment. The damage appears to be isolated in front of the front suspension but I won't know until I thoroughly check it.

The front axle etc. is not hard to swap over to the other frame, if you really need the disconnect part. I asked about the Expedition 4WD and TOD module, parts suggested that they are all different part #'s. I'll get with my service guy to see what the connector and wiring differences are. I'd like to find that the 4WD and TOD are the same, though the GEM wiring may be the hard part.

Pulling the 4WD wires is a minor issue, my only worry is the wires that are common for the GEM and the 4WD systems. I am considering the 98-02 Expedition/Navigator 4WD system, it is likely to be closer to the Explorer than the later 2003+ trucks.

The frame harness is one part, and connects under the driver's seat. There will be minor differences between 96 and 99, most of it is that ARC wiring. You have a couple of connectors which go forward to the air actuator and power wires, which still goes up through the same floor(body) connector. The 99 wiring will have the speed sensor going to the rearend instead of the trans.

I suggest swapping all harnesses except the five doors. You could run the two wires for the speed(& ABS) sensor in the frame harness, but swapping it may be easier. If you loosen the gas tank, the frame harness will easily come out from along the frame there. Regards,

Don,

Since I'm swapping frames to the '99 frame can't I just leave it's wiring in place? I'm going to keep the front axle parts from the '96 and may swap in the future, I don't know. I've got enough to do without swapping gears as well. (96 has 3.55 and 99 has 3.73) If figure if I ever get a front airlocker then I would do the axle/gear swap then.

One thing I want to point out about mpg, I've had a lot of 4x4's over the past 20 years and I can tell you there is a noticeable difference with the front hubs locked in 2wd vs. unlocked. I used to leave em locked all winter and would suffer 2-3 decrease in mpg. I realize the center axle disconnect isn't the same as disengaging the hubs (which would be ideal) but it is better than nothing. Besides except for the time and an R&P kit it's essentially free since I have the axle.

I'm gonna swap in the driver's door harness since the '96 was always a little flaky (kids putting in stereo and alarm stuff. Plus I need the lock cylinders out of the '99.

My final goal, 99 truck in a '96 body with the 4406 and some other goodies. I drew some sketches of my console mount paddle shifter tonight. I was gonna CNC it but since it's one-off I'll just make it on the manual mill.

We had soda blaster at the plant today, he mentioned the soda desolves in water (which I knew), any issues if I where to have him blast the assembled frame with the driveline in place assuming I have him steer clear of bearings etc.? I don't wanna do a complete frame off resto but a coat of Por-15 or similar would be nice.

Well here are some low quality camera phone pics of the progress:

0613082214a.jpg

0613082205a.jpg

0613082204c.jpg

0613082204a.jpg

Last pic is one of the Kumho's mounted on the truck for inspiration.

That sounds good, I mentioned the frame harness in case you did keep the 96 frame.

Look at the frame carefully, and if it still has the vast majority of the "wax" coating, leave it. I spent several hours removing the front half manually, and at least two sealing it with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator(better than POR15). The frame flexes and does cause some bare metal to see air, I have a little rust in a few tiny areas.

Unless you could sand the surface well, and seal it with an epoxy primer(or powder coat), I think the OEM coating is the best. Regards,

Attachments

• 99chassis.JPG
    99chassis.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 169

Took a good look at the frame today, not enough rust deposit to require blasting. I think I'll just shoot it with POR-15 or Eastwoods product, simply because a painted frame is easier to work under and I want to keep it reasonably nice. I'm hoping to pull the 99 body tommorrow night, strip what's left and get it on my trailer for scrap. Gonna hang the 99 frame, motor and all from my forklift with a chain to paint it easily LOL. Like I said, not resto just decent driver/weekend offroader. Waiting to get the tag numbers back from my brother to see which 4406 he has. Toying with putting my switches where the "kleenex box" goes in the console. Pushbuttons for lights and toggles for BWM and future front and rear lockers. This brings a question though, is an airlocker prefered over a lockright for mild offroading? I've got a Powertrax 31 spline locker basically new in my basement, couldn't hold traction in my old 10sec mustang so I went to a spool.

Did your 96 truck have the full length console? The big console has a bracket riveted to the floor which holds the back end down. I'd drill that out from the 99 even if the 96 has it. People who want to swap in the big console need that bracket for a swap.

BTW, I received the 2003+ Expedition TC switch yesterday. It is too large to use the whole Expedition trim surround, but the actual switch is the same size as the 95+ Explorer's. If I can get my hands on the GEM, TOD and 4WD module from a 98-02 Expedition, I'll look hard at the wiring. I got the wiring schematics from my Ford tech, it is very hard to follow, and their records show no 4WD module for any of the trucks. According to the book, only the GEM and TOD control it all. The GEM does handle the front disconnect system.

If the wiring could be done and work, tested with the 03+ switch plugged in, I could fabricate a mount for the switch. The two mounting points are not located anywhere near how the 95-01 models are. It's plastic, the old switch pushes onto the new switch, and the distance/angle between the selections are the same. I would choose to place the right three selections of the 03+ switch, in line with the OEM Explorer bezel labeling. Meaning I would not alter the bezel face, but just mount the switch from behind. The 2WD selection would simply be down to the left of the other three, unmarked.

Don,

No updates on my trucks this week, been too busy on the house but thank you for the tip on the bracket. I'll likely include that with the entire interior.

I love the idea of the '03 switch. If you need me to look at or take pictures of anything on my '03 Expedition just let me know and I'll post them.

I have not been able to get to the salvage yard that had a 4WD Expedition. Do you know where any of the dash electrical components are? My Ford tech mentioned the GEM being behind the fuse box, which is evidently under the dash, steering column area. He suggested the 4WD shift relay module might be up in the top of the dash, some big oval cover removed forward of airbag? Lots of stuff is gone fast from this yard I like, and that truck has been there a few weeks. That place is the only one that would have good prices here.

I will look for those parts as soon as I get a chance. I am hoping to break away from working on the house sunday afternoon so I can change the oil in the van and Expedition, if I can I'll take some pics for you.

I did get to the yard to see a few wrecked Expeditions, scattered all over. Only one was 4WD and almost intact. Evidently they are not all 4 position switched, this 2001 has only A4WD/4HI/4LOW. I need to see what years had that and no 2WD position.

I think that I saw the edge if the GEM in that truck, it seems to be flat against the back of the fuse panel. If the idea of mine would work separate wiring connectors will be needed for the Expedition GEM to be added. There was at least one with the dash stripped bare, and those connectors dangling free. I didn't have time to get anything, except an Explorer radio bezel laying in a floor. It seems fine, not perfect, but okay for $20 for my work truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back