5.0 swap- really worth the trouble? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 swap- really worth the trouble?

Like here, you do the swap and then take it to the Referee Sation they go over EVERYTHING to make sure it matches stock Specs...Then they A-OK it and make the vin number and everything match or something...

That is similar to what we have here, with that system you can acquire the parts and have it pass. My two totaled Explorers were almost the same way. They verify that nothing is stolen. They document the parts which you use, and assign them to the vehicle(VIN), and give you a decal to place near the VIN tag.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im in michigan, as far as i have checked there is nothing. I wasn't planning on getting anything checked, I have the title for the vehicle and in a few years i plan on it being purely a trail truck. I just want to know how much work i will be getting my self into. IM just starting research on this project

Im in michigan, as far as i have checked there is nothing. I wasn't planning on getting anything checked, I have the title for the vehicle and in a few years i plan on it being purely a trail truck. I just want to know how much work i will be getting my self into. IM just starting research on this project

Make sure you talk to alot of people...IM stations normally now the best!

I can promise you there is SOMETHING. If nothing else, it's against federal law to change a lot of things you'll be changing.

I found all my information for here in AZ from the Arizona Department of Transportation website. There were links to where I needed to go. I contacted those folks and they emailed me all the pertinent information. It was that easy. And for the record, they whole heartedly approve of upgrading years and emissions systems when you do it right.

just fyi I have tailpipe emissions reports on my truck with the 2.9l, the 4.0L OHV and the OBD-II 5.0L V8

the 2.9L blew more emissions then either setup, the 5.0L runs cleaner out the tailpipe then both other engines, even with two additional cylinders
OBD-II is much more efficient

just fyi I have tailpipe emissions reports on my truck with the 2.9l, the 4.0L OHV and the OBD-II 5.0L V8

the 2.9L blew more emissions then either setup, the 5.0L runs cleaner out the tailpipe then both other engines, even with two additional cylinders
OBD-II is much more efficient

No question to it. This was the sole reason behind the federal mandate.

As for whoever asked about Gen-I compatibility with a 5.0 Ex harness, well, there's not alot of compatibility. However, it can be done... but not easily. My Ranger went thru the same "Franken-wiring" process you'd encounter. Again, it's doable, but it will be one hell of a headache. I have my dad (35-yr mechanic/shop owner) to thank time and time again for being able to wire my pickup all together. He's the smartest guy I know, and I can tell you he spent well in the neighborhood of 50-75 hours in the wiring alone.

Very nice thing to say about your Dad. You have made him very proud, I'm sure.

I have over 80 hours in my 5.0L harness
Most of that was research... lots of building maps and research....some of that was extending the PCM harness about 3' to re-locate my computer

End result = *****IN

The later model wiring is very simple and clean, its the Gen I trucks that have the funky Ford harness with the computer and power distribution all built into one...
I have my BII power systems tapped into the 93-94 style power box and then I ran my 5.0L computer, engine, trans harness on top of it all. All factory connectors, no un-used wires and a very clean layout..

the 5.0L Ex wiring is really nice, the engine and trans harness are all bundled up nicely and ready to be used in any model Hot rod or rock crawler.. its actually easier to do these conversions then the older mess of a wiring setup 4.0L...pre 96 Ford wiring = sucked

Agreed Jamie, I had an interesting time pulling all of the air suspension wiring out of a 98 Limited set of wire harnesses. I didn't do anything with the engine harness or a swap project for that truck. I've swapped an 88 Mustang 302 into an 86 Crown Vic. Those old harnesses are much worse than the 95+ Ford wiring.

Attachments

• Projectthread062.JPG
    Projectthread062.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 239

looks like home :)

2893almost_finished.jpg

thats my 99% completed 5.0L and 4r70w into 88 Bronco II with 93 custom power dist box :) also all those red wires are the extension for the computer.....next time I cut a hole in my cowl and just mount the damn thing under the hood LOL

I know that was a lot of work. I hope to be able to do something with my 91 Mark VII sometime next year. I want to install the Explorer PCM, engine and trans with the OBDII, I'll skip the PATS.

Ok,guys, the longer this thread goes on, the more I'm happy to stick with my 4.0. And if it dies, buy a NEWER 4.0. The details you are going into makes it seem way too much like work. ;) Plus, I have this Ex to play off the beaten path. My old Jeep, stuck or broke all the time time. My Ex- insert key , turn, put in gear, go. Pull out friends GM, continue. I should just leave well enough alone.

Very good Sean, we do want to give you enough information to help you decide what you need most. Regards,

And Don , I could not thank you guys more!!! The members of this forum are great. The info provided is top notch and helps people make informed decisions. Thats why I bought into Elite membership. I've saved tons with the search button and good answers to questions like the one that started this thread.

I have to tell you Coz...if you have ANY doubts at all about this, then do not do it! You will end up half way through it, get discouraged, and end up selling the thing for 10 cents on the dollar. I've done dozens of swaps from GM, Ford, and Mopar. I love that kind of stuff. But I've taken weeks and weeks to do them, done tons of research, had most everything I needed before I started, and not to brag, but my electrical and engineering skills are pretty darn good. That helps a lot. You don't want to go into this intimidated. I remember when I did my first fuel injection conversion in 1886. I talked to Marlin Davis at Hot Rod at length about the wiring. He finally said..."shoot...if nothing else, you can build a complete harness yourself." He was right and it all took off from there.

I remember when I did my first fuel injection conversion in 1886.

Wow thats some early fuel injection! LOL

I jumped in head first when I did the 4.0L conversion, I had alot of help!
it took me 2 years to fix the bugs from the original wiring. Along the way I learned alot, then I started helping others wire their conversions and learned even more.

Doing a few drivetrain conversions and the information available on the interweb gave me the confidence to tackle the V8 conversion by myself.... no looking back now, I flat out love it! IMO the 5.0L pushrod with 4r70w trans is the best drivetrain ford built that basically fits under your hood, but there are plenty of setups that work great, it just depends on your likings and your trucks useage

if I could stand not to have OD, if the BII was a trailer queen then I would probably have a 4.0L OHV with C5 built with a reverse manual valve body and run an Atlas t case behind it (or doubler if you have the abiltiy /room)... that would be a *****in setup.

There are so many choices, I have seen the 2.3L T, the 3.8L Supercharged, the 5.0L carbed/efi, the SOHC, heck even the straight six, big blocks, and turbo diesels have made their way into Ranger based trucks... there are so many choices the final decision is usually up in the air until the day you spend all your $$$ on your new drivetrain or donor vehicle, hoist it off the trailer and park it next to your truck..

I have a friend with a 63 Marauder that wants to install his 521 drag engine into. The 521 was a big tunnel ram engine with twin 850's. He wants to make it fuel injected, and I've tried to help him imagine the combination to make it work. Right now he wants a top loader trans in it, which he has. I'm trying to steer him to the late 90's Van PCM that had a 351W and E4OD trans. With no new fabrication besides the wiring , injectors and distributor, he could do it with tuning like any OBDII vehicle. He's just collecting body parts right now, he has most of it.

Attachments

• Maverick.jpg
    Maverick.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 218

CDW...stay away from factory PCM's with your buddy's set up. They won't fly in the long run. He needs to look at aftermarket...and you can't beat a FAST set up. I wouldn't think twice about using that. It's all Richard Holdener will use with any of his stuff. It's that good. Especially the newer versions.

Thanks but that is what we don't want, expensive speed density systems. The OBDII is under rated and easy to work with using the SCT flashers. The old EECIV can't touch the OBDII for driveability, those require aftermarket systems to operate modified combinations. I don't see a reason to go backwards to that technology. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be awesome. OBDII on a 63 marauder.

Back