Clearing 35"s with no body lift | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clearing 35"s with no body lift

no doubt with a 2wd rear locker. my 4x4 94 can do just as good in 2wd as 4wd but my question was why do all that work to a 2wd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You just answered your own question...if a 2WD can perform well enough for certain terrain, then why limit yourself to only a 4x4? 2WD has fewer parts needed to modify, therefore is less expensive, and there are fewer parts to wear out or break. Seems logical to me.

ya it looks silly as hell tho then you look like a dumbass out on the trail when you need help gettin pulled out. i just said i know it can be done. i wouldnt want to make a jackass out of myself on the trails

The only difference in looks is the absence of a front axle and driveshaft. Majority of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. And the majority of people who take their trucks offroad would rather have a well-functioning vehicle than a good looking one.

I don't know about you, but i'd rather pay less to have just as much fun offroad with my 2WD.

good point. im not trying to be a dick so just go out and have fun with what ever you got. but if you look like a fool dont say i didnt warn ya...

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

Ok, so I went out and checked my door tag. It says Axle: D4

So I have the 3.73 limited slip rear end

good point. im not trying to be a dick so just go out and have fun with what ever you got. but if you look like a fool dont say i didnt warn ya...

Don't worry, i won't.

Ok, so I went out and checked my door tag. It says Axle: D4

So I have the 3.73 limited slip rear end

I went from 3.73s to 4.10s and I have a V8 and 32" tires. If i could go back and do it over, i would have either gotten a junkyard 4.10 axle instead of regearing my stock 3.73 axle, or i would have gone to 4.30. 4.56 i personally think would be too low for a DD that only rarely sees dirt.

I got a 2wd because it was my first car, I wanted something I could learn on and not spend an enormous amount of money, and it has done that wonderfully!
Im currently torn on whether I want to re-gear and go bigger or get in the market for a 4wd(probably smarter to do the later...)

(Im late on this, I know)

Thanks Elessar65. Ya it looks the truck in this picture has the same rims I do:

greenexp.png

He's running 295/65/16 BFG All-Terrains, so I guess those are 33"s? Also, I think 295 is about as wide as the 16x7 rims will handle, right?

This truck has 3" spindles, and 3" TT.

Is 3" for the TT as far as you can go on a 2WD explorer? The truck in the photo is just about perfect, except I would go with another inch or two in the front

I believe all the stock 16's were only 16x7. I have a set of tri spoke chrome Eddie Bauer wheels I have not been able to sell, they are 16x7. I am thinking of putting on some all terrrains to use for winter and was going to purchase 285/75/16's. People have put 33x12.50x15's on 15x7's on this site, I think 295/75/16 would be about as wide as you would want to go. Only negative I can see is, there arent many tires to choose from in that size.

To King$nake:

I think I saw in another one of your posts that you were interested in doing the TMH for the 5.0. Just wanted to let you know that you might have fitment issues with the BL and TMH - probably nothing that can't be remedied by a custom muffler shop but it's probably another thing that you have to take into consideration.

Be it engine mods or suspension/tire mods - plan and read on everything first. This way, you will avoid problems and headaches later on. After all - you said that you wanted a capable and reliable truck (who doesn't).

IMHO I would keep it as simple as possible. Minimal lift for minimal changes. Minimal changes for minimal issues. Have some sort of compromise = After all -this truck is your DD and not a dedicated full time trail rig.

But that's just me so Goodluck and keep us posted

Ok, so Im just about ready to get the ball rolling on this and start ordering.

- Ranger Edge 3" Spindles - where do you guys recommend I order these at?
- Add-a-leaf and Shackles - same, what parts specifically should I order and where?
- For tires, I am wanting to go with a 305 width. Will this be ok with my 16x7 rim?

Here are the tires I was wanting to go with:

BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM 2 305/70 R16 118/115Q
Mud-TerrainTAKM2.jpg

Anybody know where the best prices on these tires are? (or comparable tires). These ones are like $250/piece, would like to find some place cheaper if possible.

Thanks!!!!

I run a 35x12.5 on a 15x7. You will be fine. As far as the spindles...4 wheel parts has online stores. There is one in San Marcos and in El Cajon. Jeremy, the manager of the El Cajon location is a personal friend. You can also get them through Kartek or any other Off road parts distributors. ORW has online stores as well.

Just a thought, if you are willing to wait a month or two, i will have my add-a-leafs for sale.

Ok, so I should be good to go with 33x12.5's on my OEM 16x7 rims?

Cool, because I found some 33X12.5R16.5 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's online for around $150/piece. But these say for 16.5" rim - will these fit on 16" rim?

thanks for your patience, Im learning as I go haha

Ok, so I should be good to go with 33x12.5's on my OEM 16x7 rims?

Cool, because I found some 33X12.5R16.5 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's online for around $150/piece. But these say for 16.5" rim - will these fit on 16" rim?

thanks for your patience, Im learning as I go haha

The 16.5's will not work on a 16in rim their different sizes. I think the size you should be looking for your 16's are 285/75/16 for a good fit and minimal rub.

tires

i would highly advise against the 16.5 tires, they are a pain to try to find wheels for, but like they mentioned it wont work on a 16x7 rim. I found some BFG all terrains 315/70(ithink)17 on craigslist with atleast 75% tread for 75 each so i got a set of those. i looked around the site for all terrains vs mud terrains, if this is your DD (mine is too) id suggest the all terrains. it seems they grip better on wet roads and are all around safer on streets. just a suggestion :thumbsup:

i would highly advise against the 16.5 tires, they are a pain to try to find wheels for, but like they mentioned it wont work on a 16x7 rim. I found some BFG all terrains 315/70(ithink)17 on craigslist with atleast 75% tread for 75 each so i got a set of those. i looked around the site for all terrains vs mud terrains, if this is your DD (mine is too) id suggest the all terrains. it seems they grip better on wet roads and are all around safer on streets. just a suggestion :thumbsup:

thanks, ya I think I am going to go with all terrains. I just want to find the best tire for the 16x7 rim I have. I get confused between...for example, the 33x12.5 and say a 305/70/16

Im checking out craigslist, maybe I can find a wheel/tire combo

ill let these guys handle the best size for it, i have no clue. i just bought some 17x10 (yeah, i know) rims for my 315/70's, so hopefully thatll work out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you decide to keep youre 16s you will be plagued by the confusion of metric tire sizes untill you either step up and inch or down an inch, haha. You can easily look up the formula though to find out the height and width in inches of a metric tire. I can't recall the website but there is a formula somehwere Im sure someone knows where to find it.

And to say that all terrains work better than mudds in water would misinforming you. ATs maintain more surface area contact which porovides for better street traction in dry weather conditions, but not wet ground. I have run both on my explorer and mudders work better in every off road terrain in my personal experience/opinion. You cannot get a better performing tire for offroad use unless you step up to a race tire like a BFG project or BFG Baja TA which is what I run. But for street, mudders are louder and wear faster due to the softer compound and larger, more agressive lugs. An all terrain is a good streetable tire that will also take some abuse off road.

Back