Not ur normal tranny swap...neeed help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not ur normal tranny swap...neeed help!!!

mudbug94

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomingdale New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
ok so basicly i have a 98 4door xlt with a 5.0 auto and awd..... this engine has alot more power than whats reaching the wheels, and i just love the responsiveness of a manual trans so i want to make something happen...(not to mention the torque converter is runnin low on torque)... this whole idea really didnt hit me until i pulled the trans/clutch/flywheel out of my 88 mustang today and thought ....could it be that hard? so i am postong to hopefully get some questions answered...now due to some consideration of gearing,shifter position and the lack of 4x4... the mustang trans is pretty much useless...that brings up the next range of trans' to suite my needs...bronco / f-150...now after some research this is what ive got...1988-1996 M5OD-R2...and a manual 1356 borg warner transfercase...(any help here would be nice)...now for as far as the clutch goes...what type of pedal assembly am i lookin for...whats interchangeable? because i have a 91 ranger pedal assembly at my disposal...and is their a specific way the flywheel has to go on? are the balanced for a certain motor or just zeroed in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

back in the '70s ford used an NP 205 "divorced" transfercase. it was completely seperate from the transmisson being joined only with a short driveshaft. with this t/c you could have any tranny in front of it. the only limiting factors would be your wheel base/driveshaft angles and/or frame rail width. they were made in left (ford) and right (chev & dodge) front outputs. like all NP 205s, they are almost bombproof. there are some forsale online, just google "np205 divorced transfer case"

this is a street truck i need as close to stock as possible

the pedal assy "should" fit in no problems since the Rangers and Explorers of that year were essentailly the same from dashboard forward.

as far as the flywheel is concerned should be able swap them without a problem. When i swapped my motors i have to change the flywheel (man to auto) and have experienced no balance issues at all. but wanna find a manual explorer in the junkyard and snag the plate the goes between the engine and the flywheel since they are marked "AUTO" and "MAN" not sure what the difference is but i changed mine to correct piece for the flexplate i am running.

other than that just get the manual computer (ECM) most junkyards should have the hollander interchange book to tell you which ECM's are compatible with you Explorer.

And lastly you will wanna change the Wiring Sub harness from the auto to manual harness to get rid of the auto functions in there. make hooking up the manual a bit easier.

There is no manual computer or wiring harness. A manual 5.0 Explorer was never offered from the factory. No OBDII 5.0 manual trans Mustang was ever offered...so you can't substitute one of those either. (not sure about an F150) But honestly? I think that can be overcome with some work and creativity. I would also contact James and see if he can write a tune that will help out with the swap issues. I'm thinking a trans and transfer case out of a Bronco just might fly. You may need to fabricate a cross member...and new drivelines may be necessary, but I'm thinking this is quite doable.

the auto trans functions will have to be removed from your PCM as Cobra guy suggested.

There are a few threads on this exact topic on this forum you are not the first to want to use a 5 speed behind the Explorer 5.0L Gt-40
There is rumored to be a 96 full size brinco from Ford with the 5.0L and a stick offered, I am wondering if it is the same OBD-II computer with DIS ignition that our explorer's use.

May want to research that!

You cannot just install a 5 speed behind your explorer 5.0L and expect it to run right.

Your pedal assembly would likely have to come from a V6 Gen II explorer 5 speed, but I do not suspect the clutch master cylinder or piston stroke to be the same as your F-150 trans?
I dunno, some fabrication likely required here.
Check out Chief34's truck, hes running a 5 speed behind a 5.0L in his ex, but he also has a distributor

Damn guess i need that first cup of joe before posting thought we were dealing with 4.0 not 5.0

nope beat... the broncos all had distributors...

Back