Joe Dirt's '97 XLT "Shamrock" | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe Dirt's '97 XLT "Shamrock"

Ok all, so now that Snowball is gone to the retirement home (heated pole barn up north) :) I'm going to be rollin' in Shamrock, my new virtually rust-free '97 V8. Since the ad was placed by the previous owner on CriagsList on St. Patrick's Day and purchased the day after, I thought it only fitting to pick that name.

So here are some pics of her just washed, nothing else done... Not bad for what I shelled out for her!

DSCF8113.jpg

DSCF8114.jpg

DSCF8116.jpg

DSCF8117.jpg

DSCF8115.jpg

DSCF8074.jpg

DSCF8075.jpg

As you can see, she needs to be cleaned right good like... But I'm going to tear everything out, powerwash the carpet, and everything else as I did on Snowball.

Right now current plans are putting on some stock running boards, swapping the blue interior lights to factory green, Dropping in a Pioneer deck, new leather wheel, new(er) rear bumper (dent), maybe black '97 windows, new headlights/fogs, paint the pillar trims, grabbing the rotary to start polishing, and fixing some nitpick things- roof rack, A/C recharge, CV axles... Yada yada...

More to come! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tell me joe, has anyone ever been afraid to sit in any of your vehicles because they where afraid they'd get it dirty?!

Yeah, why does he call himself Joe Dirt anyhow?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

tell me joe, has anyone ever been afraid to sit in any of your vehicles because they where afraid they'd get it dirty?!

Just me... :D

Nah, it doesn't bother me, I have a 5 year old that slathered his hands all over the foggy windows this morning and took a handfull of wood chips with him to the store for some reason- doesn't bug me anymore. Just clean them next weekend and move on. My main issues are with the absolute grime from previous owners- I can't fathom dumping a Pepsi all over the floor and not trying to clean it up.

But no, anyone can ride, no issues. :)

Yeah, why does he call himself Joe Dirt anyhow?

I didn't coin it, my friends did. At the time I was selling construction equipment and had my Mustang drag car. It's not a Hemi, but it was fast enough to link me to the movie apparently on both counts... :D

nice work joe keep it up

Thanks guys... I think it came out very nice if I may say so...

I just got my new rear hatch handle today, that'll go on tomorrow... :)

Whats wrong with the current handle?

The letters are worn off and it turns pretty hard and doesn't return to center- the usual pre '98 handle issues...

Here is the new one if anyone is interested, I got it on eBay for $20 shipped.

I did notice that they put the picture for the glass under the door side, and vice versa... lol!
I'm sure that's why they're selling them for less $$ than the dealer/LMC Truck, etc...

IMG_0936.jpg

Same with mine! I never even thought to order a replacement, mines hard as hell to turn, after multiple WD40 shots, all around it, still nothing works. Plus its so worn like you said...

I might have to order me one of those...are the "Door" and "Glass" logo's right though? (Even though the pic is wrong?)

Edit* My problem might be that that spring is rusted to all hell LOL.

Yes, the lettering is correct, they just have the pictures on the wrong sides...

Rusty spring won't cause binding, the internals of the handle will. The spring only serves as the return-to-center.

I was tired of looking like an OCD idiot trying to get my handle straight every time I walked behind the Ex if it was crooked...

Good point haha. Mine stays straight only for the fact that I have to use all the force of one hand to turn it, and bring it back otherwise it will stay turned, causing the glass or door not to lock in place.

Let me know how easy that is to swap when you do it, it seems like the (2 bolts I believe?) Passenger side bolt will be hard to get to, but the drivers side is a straight shot.

haha lol i remember my 97 with that silly handle omfg. keep up the good work lol

What did you search on eBay to find it? Ive tried everything I can think of and only found one use worn out one

Ok, to reconvene-

Joe, you are selling Shamrock? You just got it! Please tell me you are going to get another Ex. If not for me, then for Snowball & Shamrock!!:bounce:

Not right away, I think I'll be leasing a 2011 in the spring. If I can get what I have out of Shamrock, I'll sell 'er, but if not I'll just park it in the garage until fall/winter when AWD is needed and prices go up. I'm putting way too much money into it for wear items and mechanical parts, and now needs the front diff gone through and honestly I'm tired of working on it. I've spent nearly every weekend this summer wrenching on this truck. Yes, I'll admit- shouldn't have sold Snowball. For the promise of a bulletproof V8 drivetrain, I've now replaced the rear axle bearings, transfercase, front driveshaft, all of the U-Joints, and now the whole front diff needs to be re-bearing'd. There is also a wicked exhaust leak (probably justa header gasket, or possibly a bad lifter as it quiets up less and less as I drive now. Trans seems to be ok for now, but at this point I've kind of lost interest in working on it.

For now, my parents are buying a new Fusion and gave me their 2007 Camry that I so much disliked. I can't complain about a free 3 year old car, and double the gas mileage.

I can't argue when I drive it home this far:

IMG00207-20100725-2259.jpg

And get this:

IMG00206-20100725-2259.jpg

Ok, to reconvene-

Not right away, I think I'll be leasing a 2011 in the spring. If I can get what I have out of Shamrock, I'll sell 'er, but if not I'll just park it in the garage until fall/winter when AWD is needed and prices go up. I'm putting way too much money into it for wear items and mechanical parts, and now needs the front diff gone through and honestly I'm tired of working on it. I've spent nearly every weekend this summer wrenching on this truck. Yes, I'll admit- shouldn't have sold Snowball. For the promise of a bulletproof V8 drivetrain, I've now replaced the rear axle bearings, transfercase, front driveshaft, all of the U-Joints, and now the whole front diff needs to be re-bearing'd. There is also a wicked exhaust leak (probably justa header gasket, or possibly a bad lifter as it quiets up less and less as I drive now. Trans seems to be ok for now, but at this point I've kind of lost interest in working on it.

For now, my parents are buying a new Fusion and gave me their 2007 Camry that I so much disliked. I can't complain about a free 3 year old car, and double the gas mileage.

Yeah, I get it: too much of a good thing, lol. I got rid of my '88 5.8L Bronco when I was commuting 100+ a day and got the Focus. Glad you'll be sticking around. The eagle landed today and it fits/works flawlessly. The color doesn't look bad at all with the tan interior. Thanks again and good luck with the new ride!

-I will say after reading this thread, out of all the explorers out there, when you go to sell this one it will be one of the cleanest 97 explorers out there. I agree on I hate the dirt and grime left from previous owners. My 05 had, underneath the carpet, some melted chocolate (I hope). And after cleaning it, I don't want to know what it was.
-Joe Dirt, you got a good looking explorer....you have inspired me to go and clean my 98 X. :D

Thank you- It has been a labor, just as Snowball was... :)

I'm at a loss on the Camry- nothing to clean. I'm pacing around the house... Must... wax... something!

:D

Start with the clay bar, unless you have already done that, lol!!:D

Thank you- It has been a labor, just as Snowball was... :)

I'm at a loss on the Camry- nothing to clean. I'm pacing around the house... Must... wax... something!

:D

-I always have to do something to my cars on the weekends and weekdays (cleaning).
-Especially after sitting in one of my friend's car...Since then I've had a clean-freak attitude towards my car. Her car had trash piled everywhere in it, I thought something was going to come up from the trash and attack me lol. :D
-Joe...what you going to clean if you lease or buy a 2011 Explorer?

Start with the clay bar, unless you have already done that, lol!!:D
I've also meant to use the clay bar...I'm going to do that to my X.

I have no idea- but I can find plenty to wax... :thumbsup:

I've come up with a name already, in order to please the diehards on this site for my '11.

"Marshmallow"

I'm sure enough people will find it appropriate... :D

Back