Joe Dirt's '97 XLT "Shamrock" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe Dirt's '97 XLT "Shamrock"

Ok all, so now that Snowball is gone to the retirement home (heated pole barn up north) :) I'm going to be rollin' in Shamrock, my new virtually rust-free '97 V8. Since the ad was placed by the previous owner on CriagsList on St. Patrick's Day and purchased the day after, I thought it only fitting to pick that name.

So here are some pics of her just washed, nothing else done... Not bad for what I shelled out for her!

DSCF8113.jpg

DSCF8114.jpg

DSCF8116.jpg

DSCF8117.jpg

DSCF8115.jpg

DSCF8074.jpg

DSCF8075.jpg

As you can see, she needs to be cleaned right good like... But I'm going to tear everything out, powerwash the carpet, and everything else as I did on Snowball.

Right now current plans are putting on some stock running boards, swapping the blue interior lights to factory green, Dropping in a Pioneer deck, new leather wheel, new(er) rear bumper (dent), maybe black '97 windows, new headlights/fogs, paint the pillar trims, grabbing the rotary to start polishing, and fixing some nitpick things- roof rack, A/C recharge, CV axles... Yada yada...

More to come! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

What happens in the Explorer should stay in the Explorer.

What happens in the Explorer should stay in the Explorer.

I like that one Dan!!!

Dirt,

Thats a SEVERE CASE OF **** OCD!!! I thought I was bad, the Sham is going to be like New when you are done. It will really be SHAM WOW!!

Great work, you are making me want to do the same but I have LFT. (Low Frustration Tolerance). Leads to things breaking off that dont come off in a decent amount of time etc. That leads to more money, which leads to more breaking, etc etc.

With work like you are doing, you can open up Dirt's Explorer Dirt Removal & OCD Detailing and Repair!!

GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like that one Dan!!!

Dirt,

Thats a SEVERE CASE OF **** OCD!!! I thought I was bad, pizza Sham is going to be like New when you are done. It will really be SHAM WOW!!

Great work, you are making me want to do pizza same but I have LFT. (Low Frustration Tolerance). Leads to things breaking off that dont come off in a decent amount of time etc. That leads to more money, which leads to more breaking, etc etc.

With work like you are doing, you can open up Dirt's Explorer Dirt Removal & OCD Detailing and Repair!!

GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see rick didn't forget what day it is. :D

I knew damn well I didn't say pizza. I said t h e Explorer not pizza Explorer :p:

I was trying to figure out what t he heck t he pizza thing was, t hen I remembered- April Fools... Ha ha!

BTW- for me, took just over 1/2 hour to pull everything out. T he cart was up my street, and t he closest grocery is about 4 miles away and t hey have blue carts... pizzare is no name on pizza handle or anything eipizzar or I actually would return it, I know those carts are expensive... But, as it is, that will be my detailing/wax/etc. wagon... :)

T he cart actually starred in a joke email to my Mom- after I left my job on t he 5th of March, I sent her an email.
I Told her that I had found oth er employment:

IMG00015-20100310-1455.jpg

...and that I was getting rid of Snowball since I have oth er housing and transportation lined up since I wasn't working anymore.

IMG00017-20100310-1822.jpg

I'm working on my Jersey Shore face...

Ok, so today was powerwashing day... :D

Got my seat in place...

IMG_0821.jpg

Headed to the quarter wash with $7 in quarters and one pulled carpet...

IMG_0825.jpg

At the wash, and I have the patient strapped to the wall... Soooo disgusting!

IMG_0828.jpg

(Step 1 was a prespray with Tuff Stuff on the really nasty spots before I left the house)

Step 2: Hitting it with the degreaser, only let set for about 30 seconds...

IMG_0829.jpg

Step 3: On to the hot high blow soap

IMG_0832.jpg

Look at the crap rolling out of this carpet!!!

IMG_0834.jpg

After $4, on to the rinse... I was already pleased!

IMG_0837.jpg

I had 30 seconds left so I hit my cargo tray as well...

IMG_0839.jpg

Time to drip dry...

IMG_0842.jpg

While drip drying, I took my fatter ass over to Wendy's for a side salad and a water...

IMG_0844.jpg

Eyeing to make certain Shamrock is still there... Jinglesprays always seem to be in the questionable parts of town, even though growing up in Detroit- this area is nothing tough...

IMG_0846.jpg

Back after lunch, This was the result...

IMG_0838.jpg

It's unreal- $7 and a 30 minute road trip vs. a new carpet? I'll keep the change!

Short pop of Tuff Stuff removed the stain on the rear hump...

I also did some work on the door panels. I already cleaned behind/waxed the doors when I put my speakers on, so I only needed to do the fascias. Don't think I'm slacking becasue I didn't remove them! :D

BEFORE:

IMG_0852.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_0853.jpg

I still need to clean the carpet accents though.

I also ripped apart the console to clean it up too.
Wow- really? Seriously?!? Gross!!! I ended up dismantling the whole thing. It was grody to the max! lol!

IMG_0851.jpg

Needed to fix this too... I was sick of sitting in a school chair. I need recline!

IMG_0854.jpg

One freshly painted recliner handle and clean console...

IMG_0858.jpg

Yes, I sprayed the seat mounts black after seeing that picture... :D

IMG_0849.jpg

More to come, the interior floor has been cleaned and waxed already, once the carpet finishes drying overnight... :thumbsup:

Wow.....amazing, looks brand new! Nvm though thats a cart from WalMart I think, I have a krogers cart :p: shhh!

looks good keep up good work

Wow that turned out pretty good! Never thought to use an actual car wash wand to wash the carpet! I'll have to do that to my 00 and see how she turns out...Did you afterwords roll it up and put it in the back or did you spread it back out in the truck before going home?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seriously Meticulous Clean Up!! I never thought about a spary wash to clean carpet either, but then again I never felt the desire to remove it. Nite and Day difference! How did you get the door arm rest so clean? You need to do this for a living!! This is Detailing x10.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I do some detailing on the side, but not too much anymore, there are guys that run cut rate, and use crap products- and leave swirls, etc in the paint, and people are happy to pay them for it. I always tell people "Hey, I'm not UNICEF- it's time to make money, I've had enough practice..." :D

I let it drip for 1/2 hour, then fold up and put in the truck- folds into quarters very well... (cargo tray came in handy for transport for drips but it didn't drip much at all ofter that, the jute backing soaked up a lot)

Took it home and set it on top of a large shrub in my yard and let it dry for a day in the breeze, good as new. :)

The quarter wash high pressure soap is great becasue it's heated- so it's steam cleaned from close range. Don't get closer than 3-4" though or you'll end up with semi-permanent lines in the carpet. When you rinse, alternate directions and you'll get rid of the "lawnmower lines" left behind.

The armrest was Meguiars 'APC" or All Purpouse Cleaner" diluted to aggressive/strong but strong simple green will also do the trick for ya.

I've got the truck back together, just need to get some time to put some pics up...

OK kids, Shamrock is pretty much done. I have a few things to finish up, but she's together for the most part. I only need to hit a few of the seams on the seats again, pull the airbag and cruise switches to get the crannies again, and pull the headliner to clean it up nicely, and I have to clean the seatbelts. But, here she is:

I decided to use the magic erasers this time, I saved a few bucks by getting the Meijer brand, they're produced by Mr. Clean, only for $1.00 less per 2-pack... :D

IMG_0927.jpg

The carnage:

IMG_0928.jpg

Before and after: (er... after and before I guess...) lol!

Pics really don't do it justice...

IMG_0905.jpg

Before:

IMG_0910.jpg

After:

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

Before:

IMG_0878.jpg

After:

IMG_0917.jpg

My '00 Mounty Carpet- I like the contrast, and the darker carpet for the cargo area, and I also put in the darker cargo shade.

IMG_0881.jpg

Dash:

IMG_0921.jpg

This looks good, no?

IMG_0875.jpg

Yes, I detailed the underside of the seat. :D

I think she came out awesome. I really took my time with the erasers and trips to the sink for clean water- and I'd highly recommend them. I've always used them, but not as dedicated as on this cleaning- I used them everywhere in the truck. You have no idea how clean the steering wheel and cruise buttons are now. They look off-the-showroom floor. No shine, just clean. I'm hitting it with leather conditioner, but they really opened up the pores on the leather. :thumbsup:

I have to get some sunlight pics, it pops...

Nice Work Joe!!! Have never heard of those erasers either, will have to pick some up.

Nite and Day difference. I just removed the disc changer in console and was surprised by the dirt inside. It actually took awhile to get to all the bolts etc, I would not want to remove everything to clean the carpets etc. That is some serious OCD cleaning but in a good way. U must have lots of patience. Dash looks Brand New.

Like the new pic--Is this real life?? Love that video.

Once again.....:thumbsup: Your work amazes me!

I never thought of using those Magic Erasers, I might have to get me a few, my MFS, and Cruise buttons really need some help lol

lol omfg wtf totally awesome lol

(Good stuff Joe)

:D

Honestly, the carpet isn't that bad- 4 seat bolts per seat, the 2 seat belt bolts, 4 bolts for the console, and 10 bolts for the rear seats and the carpet slides out. If you have a sunny Saturday, pull the seats and stuff Friday night, wash Saturday morning, and you'll be able to put everything back in on Sunday. It's WELL worth it.

Come on- look at this- I had to! :D

DSCF8211.jpg

Damn that looks awesome! Looks like a new truck inside!

tell me joe, has anyone ever been afraid to sit in any of your vehicles because they where afraid they'd get it dirty?!

Back