Joe Dirt's '97 XLT "Shamrock" | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe Dirt's '97 XLT "Shamrock"

Ok all, so now that Snowball is gone to the retirement home (heated pole barn up north) :) I'm going to be rollin' in Shamrock, my new virtually rust-free '97 V8. Since the ad was placed by the previous owner on CriagsList on St. Patrick's Day and purchased the day after, I thought it only fitting to pick that name.

So here are some pics of her just washed, nothing else done... Not bad for what I shelled out for her!

DSCF8113.jpg

DSCF8114.jpg

DSCF8116.jpg

DSCF8117.jpg

DSCF8115.jpg

DSCF8074.jpg

DSCF8075.jpg

As you can see, she needs to be cleaned right good like... But I'm going to tear everything out, powerwash the carpet, and everything else as I did on Snowball.

Right now current plans are putting on some stock running boards, swapping the blue interior lights to factory green, Dropping in a Pioneer deck, new leather wheel, new(er) rear bumper (dent), maybe black '97 windows, new headlights/fogs, paint the pillar trims, grabbing the rotary to start polishing, and fixing some nitpick things- roof rack, A/C recharge, CV axles... Yada yada...

More to come! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LMAO!!! Here's Joe Dirt driving home:

picture.php

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It must be your luck Joe! I have only ever had to replace the usual stuff on mine. CV's, u-joints. Maybe you just beat the s**t outta your stuff!!LOL

I've come up with a name already, in order to please the diehards on this site for my '11.

"Marshmallow"

I'm sure enough people will find it appropriate... :D
The name fits the car well, as the new explorer is round like a marshmallow. :)

2011-Ford-Explorer-1.jpg

I actually entertained StayPuft as a name... :D

And no, don't beat on my Ex, just bought a mechanically bad one I guess. Got one of those produced-on-Friday ones...

I actually entertained StayPuft as a name... :D

And no, don't beat on my Ex, just bought a mechanically bad one I guess. Got one of those produced-on-Friday ones...

Look at my 98 V6 X, it's had a new head gasket, basically a new front suspension, and a few other things done to it. Maybe mine one is also a produced-on-Friday X.

Either that Joe, or just not properly maintained!! You never know, they could have had that thing burried to the axles several times, or ran the 4X4 on patchy or hard surfaces.

Oh, it was all of the above- I know he was pulling people out of ditches last winter... I'm sure he had no clue what the heck he was doing after talking to him. His big sell was "the moonroof tilts up AND slides back..."

Oh well, at least my tools got some exercise. :D

Oh well, at least my tools got some exercise. :D

sorry to say joe, but looks like the wallet did to.
once again, what is the snow ball vs. shamrock count? 2-3?

Oh crap no- more like 2-15. Snowball is runnin' up the score now... :D

Start with the clay bar, unless you have already done that, lol!!:D

I used the claybar tonight, thought my X was clean...to my suprise was I wrong! That clay bar was picking up dirt everywhere! :eek: The brand I was using was the mothers clay bar kit, and I'd recommend everyone who hasn't done this to. It really cleans the paint up to a factory feel, and look! :thumbsup:

I'm at a loss on the Camry- nothing to clean. I'm pacing around the house... Must... wax... something!

:D
-Joe if you got to find something to clean on your camry, just give it a good ol clay bar bath.

Been there, done that. Clayed the car a few times. I'm an obsessive compulsive detailer. :D

I'll be working on trying to do paint correction on the front since my parents don't wash cars. I think the bugs are a year old up there...

Been there, done that. Clayed the car a few times. I'm an obsessive compulsive detailer. :D

I'll be working on trying to do paint correction on the front since my parents don't wash cars. I think the bugs are a year old up there...

Lol... I've been meaning to do the clay bar on my X for a long time. Never have until now. Works well. I will have to do that again in a few weeks, since I didn't realize I was supposed to wax it afterwards.... Then I'll use some of that Carnauba Wax. Thats supposed to be good stuff.
My 98 I don't give it too much detailing time since my brother put some deep, beautiful scratches along it. :mad:

Saw some cleaning sponges the other day, remembered this thread so I bought some.

Got some time last night and WOW
these things do a great job on cleaning the hard plastic surfaces!!!!
after a splash of some protectant (amorall, black magic etc) its like new door panels again!

Very happy!

Saw some cleaning sponges the other day, remembered this thread so I bought some.

Got some time last night and WOW
these things do a great job on cleaning the hard plastic surfaces!!!!
after a splash of some protectant (amorall, black magic etc) its like new door panels again!

Very happy!

Oh.. my next step is seat removal and carpet cleaning at the car wash!

Yep, those cleaning products do work, well...some better than others. Curtis... If you haven't already use the clay bar on your X's.

Yep, those cleaning products do work, well...some better than others. Curtis... If you haven't already use the clay bar on your X's.

Yip I have used the clay bar... and the results are great.
Its probalby due for another clay bar treatment now

door panel before
photo1.jpg

door panel after
photo2.jpg

Clean :D
photo3.jpg

Looks good! My 05 is due for the clay bar...just took it up in the mountains, and the front got plastered with bugs.
You used the Mothers Back to Black? That makes the mirros, wipers and anyother black piece look like new. Good results on my 05 X.

Looks good! My 05 is due for the clay bar...just took it up in the mountains, and the front got plastered with bugs.
You used the Mothers Back to Black? That makes the mirros, wipers and anyother black piece look like new. Good results on my 05 X.

I currently use Maguires .. gold class or something like that.. cant really remember the name of it... My 04 is due for a spa treatment too... just need to find the time

Nice job! :thumbsup:

I used the more aggressive clay on Shamrock for the rail dust... Nice choice on the Meguires- top notch stuff, pretty much 90% of what I use. :)

I'll add this. One member on here absolutely harped on me to try Adams Polish Products. After trying it, I tossed everything else out that I had. That stuff works great!

Back