manual hub conversion with junkyard parts | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual hub conversion with junkyard parts

WOW! long read...
Well, off to the junkyard. Auto hubs are becoming stuck engaged :(, I know I have a ranger in my yard with after market man. hubs, so hopefully it will serve as an entire conversion kit.
could always just slam another set of autos on though....
whatever, I'll figure it out when i got it all apart. Thank you all for sharing your vast knowledge of first gen exploders :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks t-bars.
The only thing i'm not sure of is the reputation of the company that makes the hubs i'm goin to put on my truck. Some aftermarket POS probably, Trail Master or some other generic name that implies off road use.
If they suck, I'll throw em away. Gotta love the junkyard!

at the shop, auto hubs are GROSS!
I flushed with my "solvent of choice":D, and am now letting soak up some atf. I am starting to think perhaps a good cleaning is order rather than a hub conversion at this point. Any one have any feed back on "Mile Marker" manual locking hubs?

well, cleaning the auto hubs did not solve the problem. It wasn't a complete waste of time however, now I have a much better understanding of their operation.
The manual hub conversion was fairly straight forward. Once I figured out how to free the key from the auto hub axle nut, everything went smoothly. I'll be sure to post again once I try these bad boys out on the trail.
NO MORE HEADACHES! (fingers crossed)

ok....i have a 1991 ranger 4x4.it has a d35 axle and 8.8 rear..ikt is factory door code is 95.it has open 3:55 gears....this is the front axle under the ranger...
trucks-001.jpg

now my question is...can i use the manual hubs off of this ranger and put them on my 1994 explorer?also can i use the 8.8 from the ranger and put my guts from the explorer in it...expo has 3;73 gears with l/s

Yes and no. You can put the hubs on the front they will fit. The rear axle is different however. The ranger 8.8s are not as wide and are 28 spline axle shafted compared to the explorer 31 splines. The ring and pinion are the same, the spiders are different. The housing are different.

It would be easier to weld on new spring pads and shock mounts and put in the whole rear axle.

just as an FYI the locknuts are now over 12 bucks a bag at 4wp here in Memphis. Price has more than doubled since this thread started in 05.I bought some on Monday.

im still confused on what model jeeps have the manual hubs

The only way a Jeep would end up with these hubs is if they bought the aftermarket kit to make their rear axle unlockable. No jeeps came with these hubs from a factory, ever.

Back