Swap from auto hubs to manual, bearing nut question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swap from auto hubs to manual, bearing nut question

Curt

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I am going to manual hubs on my 94 Exp. I was told that when I buy the new manual hubs and the kit with the new bearing nut that I will no longer need the 2 3/8 socket for the automatic hub bearing nut. True? This means I just spent $20.00 bucks on this 2 3/8 socket that I will never use again? Anybody interested in a one time used 2 3/8 socket?

Curt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you're talking about the spindle nut, and yes, that's true.

Unfortunately the 2 3/8" socket will be useless with manual hubs, you need to go out and get a four pronged spindle wrench. You'll probably need a snap ring pliers plus some other tools for the auto to manual conversion.

Bearing nut.... huhhhh, oh yeah spindle nut

Yes..... spindle nut. Sorry. I have everything ripped apart. Just waiting to get my new hubs, and a new drivers side rotor. I was a bad boy and let my brakes go and I have some really nice grooves in it. Looks like the Grand Canyon.

I noticed where the axle comes through the spindle that there is a little bit of play. Is this normal or are there bearings in there that need replacing?

Curt said:
...I noticed where the axle comes through the spindle that there is a little bit of play. Is this normal or are there bearings in there that need replacing?

There will be some play in the splined stub axle shaft that comes through the spindle. And yes there is a spindle bearing within the spindle, but it is only a needle bearing assembly and nothing that gets adjusted/torqued. The play you see probably is unnoticeable once you reinstall the wheel.

where did you find a 2 3/8 socket? Not that I need one, I'm just making the switch to manual hubs right now too, but back a while ago when I was repacking my bearings I had to pretty much make my own socket

2 3/8 Socket

I got it at Carquest. I may pull a fast one and try and take it back now that I have it all apart. I can try and tell them that I realized I had manual and not auto. That way I can replace it with the socket that I will need for my manual hubs. Which I guess I will have to buy anyway.

More than likely if the part is less than 30 days old, you'll be able to return it or exchange it..

Why did you buy the socket on both my explorere just alittle banging with a chivel and it came right off, There not on that tight. Some places will check the tool to see if it has any type of wear, They checked a socket for like 3 minutes before they took it back.

because it's tough to torque it back on to 35 with just a hammer

Con Seann3ry said:
because it's tough to torque it back on to 35 with just a hammer

Ditto...Makes me wonder what some shops (that don't have it) do. They probably use some big channel locks and guess at 35 ft/lbs

uh only 35 ibs? i thought it was 120 and the back it off and re-torque it to 20 or something like that

nope, it's 35 to 16. I have no idea what those shops do either, I drove around for a day trying to find the right spindle nut socket and then i went to a few shops and none of them had it, nor did they know what they have done in the past so I bought one a size up and modified it.

Con Seann3ry said:
nope, it's 35 to 16. I have no idea what those shops do either, I drove around for a day trying to find the right spindle nut socket and then i went to a few shops and none of them had it, nor did they know what they have done in the past so I bought one a size up and modified it.
Actually for autohubs you torque the nut to 35 ft/lbs while spinning the rotor. You then back off the nut and torque it to 16 in/lbs (which is only 1.4 ft/lbs) This is basically you turning the socket with your hand without the use of any wrench.

Back